Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diet as a Treatment

Hi -

My husband was diagnosed in the last year and we have been researching and reading everything we can. Thankfully my husband has only had one episode and has recovered (for now).

The whole idea of diet really resonates with both of us and we are completely changing the way that we eat (low sat fat, eliminating gluten, etc). From what we read, there is lots of data (not official studies), but still lots of information about how diet has kept MS at bay in many individuals. (Swank, Jelinek and now Terry Wahls) We are committed to changing our life to do everything we can to fight this disease.

My question is - are we being naive in thinking that this can really stop the progression (or at least slow it down). Everything we read seems to indicate that diet works, but are we missing something? Are there MSers out there where diet really does not make a difference.

Btw - this is not to say that we are not using DMDs - just that we want to fight MS on every possible front.

Hi Momma22,

I've moved your thread to the "Tara's Nutrition & Supplement Notebook" forum, where you'll find lots of information on diet and MS.

Comment

Just fyi - I tried to post this in general questions because I was also interested in input from those who tired diet modification and it didn't work (thinking that they wouldn't visit the Nutrition Notenook). But, I'd love to hear your replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Momma22 View Post
        Just fyi - I tried to post this in general questions because I was also interested in input from those who tired diet modification and it didn't work (thinking that they wouldn't visit the Nutrition Notenook). But, I'd love to hear your replies!
        The redirect notice for your thread will be visible in the "General Questions & Answers" forum for 24 hours, so members who don't normally visit Tara's forum will still have a chance to see it and respond.

As for the effects of diet modification, it depends on what you mean by "work"...we have members who feel their symptoms have improved as a result of making changes, and members who've tried (for example) eliminating gluten and not noticed any improvement.

There's no way to know for sure if dietary change is affecting progression. If you continue to progress, it doesn't necessarily mean following a MS-friendly diet isn't helping you; you might have progressed faster without the diet. And if your progression appears to slow down or even stop (for a time), that isn't necessarily attributable to following a MS-friendly diet; it might just be the natural course of the disease for you.

Comment

Personally, I look to diet to help but I also don't think it will "cure" me. But, a lot of that feeling probably comes from those well meaning people who like to forward me copies of random magazine articles they've read about miraculously leaping from a wheelchair one day by diet alone!

So, no, I don't think that kale or something will magically change my life because I don't think it was diet alone that caused this disease BUT I see no harm in trying diets so why the heck not do it. Its one thing to give a go at a drug or something full of side effects but how can a diet approach harm you if its well balanced?!

Also, this disease often leaves you feeling out of control. You can control diet. If regaining control of some aspect of your health is all diet affords, I still think that has the potential to be powerful.
          Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

Originally posted by cranberrysauce View Post
            this disease often leaves you feeling out of control. You can control diet. If regaining control of some aspect of your health is all diet affords, I still think that has the potential to be powerful.
            True in my case.

Going to a gluten and lactose free, high proteen low fat diet seems to have helped me alot.
            It is not a cure but it seems to help me more than any drug I have tried to this point.

Comment

Having been in your position, I say change the diet BUT take the drugs (DMDs)
              [I]Tellnhelen
              Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

I see that you are interested in those that tried but did not have success. Sorry, but I had success.

I started with MS in 2004. Lost hearing, dizzy, etc. had MRI showing multiple lesions etc. etc., undeniable. Before MS I also had Vitiligo (I call it my visible autoimmunity).

I was miserable with symptoms the first year, did the steroids recovered my hearing. I continued to look for some type of solution, considered meds etc. I finally realized that the reality was that I would not find a quick solution and probably also not find a cure within my lifetime.

So, I looked for what would help slow down the autoimmunity. I looked at my problem as autoimmunity and sought what research said regarding theories around autoimmunity.

From what I learned, my opinion is that once the autoimmunity trigger is switched there is no way to go back. So, the challenge I saw was to slow my immune system from destroying parts of my own body.

Being from a food background diet made the most sense. I agree and follow most of the precepts of the Best Bet Diet. I also sought direction from Tara on adjusting my diet and supplements, which proved essential.

The end result is I am at about 95% of where I was before. Some "slowing down" I can attribute to age. I have not had any new symptoms. Amazingly my visible autoimmunity (the vitiligo) began to repigment (my PCP was amazed). I do everything as before, ex. Sunday my kids and I hiked bluffs up and down serious elevation changes for 3.5 hours and it had no impact on my fatigue etc.

I do attribute my health to changing my diet early on in the disease course. The challenge with diet is scientific proof (as in blind placebo tests) is hard to find. The challenge is providing a controlled environment for testing diet. As such, I take the research I can find and apply some faith. The end result is diet has worked for me.
                Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Twenty miles, thank you for posting your experience. Being in the line of work I am, there have been more than a few people with psoriasis that have crossed my path.

Think of the worst case of psoriasis your imagination can conjure. I met someone like this on their way back from a month-long visit to a foreign country where it was nearly impossible to control their dietary intake. Before leaving, their psoriasis had been almost completely cleared up with diet restrictions. It only took a month off the diet to kick it back up into full gear.

I have been on the fence over this diet thing for various reasons, partly a little skeptical, and your story reminded me of this incident. It made me realize how many people there are that insist their asthma, skin conditions, joint conditions and other ailments respond positively to dietary changes.

Who knows? Maybe it might work for me, too. It can't hurt to try, and diet is one of the only things we have almost full control over.

By the way, I love your sig line.
                  I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies! I am very encouraged. We are going to go full force on changing the way that we eat!!

Comment

Working...
                    X