Needing to lose some weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing to lose some weight

Ive had MS for 20 yrs now, and had no weight problem. This past October I had a HUGE flare and am now barely able to walk so I spend alot of my time either sitting or laying down. I went thru 4 weeks of heavy steroids and as all MSers know, you can really put on alot of pounds, water weight. Well, I did lose about 6 pounds of that water weight, but I just got on the scale the other day and I have gained almost 15!

I have ordered that MSYoga DVD and am waiting for its arrival. In the mean time, what can I do to get rid of this extra weight? I am a Celiac, so Im already on a gluten free diet, which can make it hard to lose weight because almost everything is made from rice. Ive done the HCG diet before, but with my gf Celiac condition, Im afraid to try it now.

Someone suggested Sensa to me, but Im not sure. HELP~

You don't need to consume any grains--including rice--at all to maintain your gluten-free status. Plentiful veggies, some fruit, a modest amount of high-quality protein, maybe some cultured dairy products, and you're good to go. Not only is that an eating pattern that's good for losing weight, it happens to be what Tara recommends for all her clients with MS!

Minus the dairy products, it's also the basis for the MS Recovery Diet.

You might try reducing the percentage of rice (and other gluten-free grains) in your diet for starters. It may not be necessary to cut rice out altogether, and it is a good source of B vitamins and fiber if it's brown rather than white.

Comment

Try a shift to more veggies instead of rice based products.

My usual dinner used to be fish, steamed veggie, salad and a side grain like rice. I've started replacing that rice with a second vegetable and have started to lose weight.

Also, think about your snacks during the day and try to switch them to fruits and veggies.

I would just try to find the couple places a day where you consume the most unnecessary calories and try to either cut them or replace them with something better. Those little changes should add up and really help.
      Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

pjsSissy70,

You probably have a raging fungal infection.

Thats a major problem with steroids (worse than antibiotics) is their destuction of good bacteria, screwing w glucose metabolism and inviting candida to thrive.

Regardless of your activity level; a weight gain that quickly, after steroids is IME (in my experience) a candida bloat.

Solution: Castor packs>> please google directions here.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107312

Here's an older thread with the directions for doing castor packs (last post).

Comment

Hi, Sissy. I actually lost some 12 lbs weight since my Sx began, but I have a seriously long way to go. My BMI is 32.9, which is horrifying. Do you keep a food journal? I do not and probably should.
            Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

I second the food journal idea!!!
              Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

Consider taking L Carnitine, or Acetyl L Carnitine, as it helps, along with exercise, to burn-off fat more efficiently.

Evidently, if you combine L Carnitine with Fumaric Acid it makes it even more effective and should also help with any MS-related fatigue issues.

I would not be surprised if the combo could have a positive effect on slowing MS disease progression as they work along the same general principle as the new Biogen BG-12 drug in the works.

Here's an interesting YouTube presentation by the CEO the company who makes it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0uPogecCU

Comment

I DO NOT HAVE A RAGING INFECTION!

Id like to thank the rest of you for your informational posts. It is very appreciated..

Comment

Originally posted by pjsSissy70 View Post
                    I DO NOT HAVE A RAGING INFECTION!

Id like to thank the rest of you for your informational posts. It is very appreciated..
                    It's possible to have Candida established in one's digestive tract without being aware of it. I think Tara was saying that if a person has had significant weight gain after using steroids, Candida may be the culprit rather than "water weight" and unlike water, Candida doesn't usually go away by itself.

Castor packs do no harm, and might be beneficial.

Comment

Working...
                    X