Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Diet Ideas?

Hi everyone

I'm a more recently diagnosed (if "probable MS" is a diagnosis - I suppose technically I have "Demylination Disorder/Disease") 36 year old and have been doing a ton of research since all this started a few weeks ago.

I've been reading a lot about different diets and things to stay away from and things to increase, but it's kind of hard to keep it all straight.

I'm not necessarily looking for anything drastic (I've considered gluten free but haven't decided). I'm just looking for the best advice on what to eat/drink and what not to eat/drink to help me feel better and start along a good path in dealing with all of this.

So if anyone can give me a list or suggestions, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Here's an older thread that may answer some of your questions. It includes a very good "where to start" response from Tara.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116826

Comment

What to do about your diet?

Originally posted by Kimmy92279 View Post
      Hi everyone

I'm a more recently diagnosed (if "probable MS" is a diagnosis - I suppose technically I have "Demylination Disorder/Disease") 36 year old and have been doing a ton of research since all this started a few weeks ago.

I've been reading a lot about different diets and things to stay away from and things to increase, but it's kind of hard to keep it all straight.

I'm not necessarily looking for anything drastic (I've considered gluten free but haven't decided). I'm just looking for the best advice on what to eat/drink and what not to eat/drink to help me feel better and start along a good path in dealing with all of this.

So if anyone can give me a list or suggestions, that would be awesome!

Thanks!
      It was rough for me when I first was told I have Multiple Sclerosis. There was a lot of talk about Swank Diet but I asked my Neurologist a bout what to do and he told me to just eat 3 basic meals a day. I also did a lot of research on vitamins and what was the right ones to take. I found a lot of information on take Q10. So I researched that and found that to be one that wold be of great help to me.

I also look at what was put on the label of the vitamins in the stores on the name brands and found that they put a lot of filler in the product a long with the vitamin that was on the label. I found a company that told me that they are very careful of what they put in their vitamins and not much filler. So I would say that you are just diagnosis with MS and you know your own body that if you keep active and don't let your feelings get the best of you.

I know it is rough some days because I myself are in a wheelchair 24/7 and I can not walk. I have been in the wheelchair since 1989 and have had MS for more than 30 yrs. I get my best strength from a Bible verse Phil: 4:13. Take care and hope to chat with you some day.
      James Eckburg
      Senior Health and Wellness Strategist
      114 E. Franklin St.
      Lanark, Illinois 61046
      joeckburg@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks so much to both of you. Looking at the past thread was very helpful in figuring out just where to start.

At this point I've just tried to start eating "cleaner". A lot less processed food than I used to eat - found an excellent natural co-op store near my apartment and started getting my supplements there as well. In terms of supplements, I upped my Vitamin D (my psychiatrist had already noted about 2 years ago that my D levels were low and low and behold recent tests showed the same). Also found out I was borderline low on B12, so I started that from my regular doctor (B12 deficiency actually runs in my family). I also started CoQ10 on the suggestion from a woman my mom knows who has MS as well and based on reading.

Just trying to go slowly so as not to overwhelm myself all at once. I have a tendency to be an "all or nothing" person and it's something I'm trying to work on as it tends to be a stressful way to live.

Comment

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but in one of the responses to my post earlier Tara noted that gluten is a bigger issue and stays in your body longer than dairy, so you might want to consider gluten first. Textures take some getting used to, but i've found things my entire family enjoys that are gf- they wouldn't have known the difference except that I was eating them too. Good luck!
          Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

Working...
          X