Dr Oz, Montel, and Safflower Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Oz, Montel, and Safflower Oil

Although I did not see the program today, there seems to be a lot of news out there about Montel's endorsement of SafSlim. Here is the web address to just one article:
    ... http://healthybodydaily.com/doctor-o...or-weight-loss . Montel is endorsing this product for weight loss, particularly belly fat/loss in inches in the waist.

One of my concerns is that it is high in Omega 6 and has a high IF (inflammatory factor). I try to increase my anti-inflammatory foods, and decrease my inflammatory foods. As someone who also has MS, I would think that focusing on anti-inflammatory foods should also be a concern of Montel's.

Any comments from Tara, or others out there? Both about whether safflower oil/Omega 6 might be effective for weight loss. And, about how it might impact MS.

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I agree. We need less Omega6.

Comment

Dr. Oz is convinced of the value of omega 6s for weight loss, which is why he put Montel on his show. In an interview on my local TV station, Dr. Oz was asked about the advisability of adding omega 6s to the diet when a lot of health practitioners say we already get enough or too much omega 6. He said that omega 6s aren't unhealthy, and that they're helpful in weight loss, and (for most people) weight loss is beneficial for overall health.

Montel is highly attuned to his health and wouldn't do anything that he thought might be harmful to him. (Apparently it wasn't, or he wouldn't be endorsing the product.) I think one of the things that bothers a lot of folks with MS about Montel is that, while he openly talks about his MS as his motivation for doing things, he doesn't use what he's learned about MS and health to speak directly to people with MS.

Comment

I think the best way to loose weight is to eat less.

Comment

ms er since 06 --

Not asking about "best" way to lose weight. I lost 60+ lbs in a little over a year recently, and am now under 120 lbs. In fact, I don't wish to lose additional weight. I guess I didn't explain that very well. Perhaps you thought that I might be looking for a magic, quick fix.

What I wish to lose is belly fat/inches in my waist. And, that is why I am specifically asking about the safflower oil supplement recommended by Montel on the Dr. Oz show.

I have already lost over 12" in my waist. However, a recommended waist/height ratio is 50%. My waist continues to be more than 50% of my height. Perhaps that is not fixable, due to the combination of my genetics and my age. All 10 of my aunts (both sides of the family) have large "apple"-shaped waists.

Therefore, ms er since 06, losing additional weight in order to lose belly fat is not the advice I am seeking.

Still wondering, though, about the advisability of using a supplement full of Omega 6 to lose belly fat.

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
            He said that omega 6s aren't unhealthy, and that they're helpful in weight loss, and (for most people) weight loss is beneficial for overall health.
            They're not unhealthy, it's just that the average person consumes them in abundance in almost every product on the market. Does anyone need more?

Montel is highly attuned to his health and wouldn't do anything that he thought might be harmful to him. (Apparently it wasn't, or he wouldn't be endorsing the product.)
            It certainly won't harm his wallet. My biggest problem is that this is yet another product which confuses weight-loss with nutrition. Moreover, it advocates consuming a product (presumably in addition to what's already making the consumer fat), rather than simply eating less or even eating well. In any case, it has nothing to do with

Comment

Dr. Oz is convinced of the value of omega 6s for weight loss, which is why he put Montel on his show. In an interview on my local TV station, Dr. Oz was asked about the advisability of adding omega 6s to the diet when a lot of health practitioners say we already get enough or too much omega 6. He said that omega 6s aren't unhealthy, and that they're helpful in weight loss, and (for most people) weight loss is beneficial for overall health.

Montel is highly attuned to his health and wouldn't do anything that he thought might be harmful to him. (Apparently it wasn't, or he wouldn't be endorsing the product.) I think one of the things that bothers a lot of folks with MS about Montel is that, while he openly talks about his MS as his motivation for doing things, he doesn't use what he's learned about MS and health to speak directly to people with MS.
              I agree that Omega 6's are not unhealthy; in fact, our bodies need some. However, I have often read what you quoted "other practitioners" saying: that " we already get enough or too much omega 6". My understanding, especially for those of us who are dealing with illnesses that are affected by inflammation is that is important to get more Omega 3's than Omega 6's. And, my understanding is also that this product is high in Omega 6's.

And, again, I am not focused particularly on weight loss; I am more specifically interested in fat loss in my waist and decreasing inches in that area. Would not mind doing that without losing additional weight, even, as I have likely lost enough weight.

Tara often comments on Sundays? Still waiting for her opinion about adding a product, which is high in Omega 6, to the diet of someone with MS. And, wondering what her thoughts regarding the benefits of safflower oil in reducing waist size (as discussed in the previous link) would be.

~ Faith
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hi Faith:
                I didn't see the Montel segment on Dr. Oz's show, so I didn't know that the product being promoted is supposed to work specifically for belly fat. (I didn't know that until you posted.) I only saw the Dr. Oz interview on the news, and Dr. Oz spoke only of "weight loss" in general, never mentioning belly fat. And, because it was a general interview, he never mentioned a possible inflammatory aspect of safflower oil or any relation to MS.

About 10 years ago, evening primrose oil was highly advocated by people promoting health for MS patients because it contains gamma linoleic acid (GLA), which acts, in part, as an anti-inflammatory. GLA is an omega 6 fatty acid. That means that an omega 6 was/is being promoted for its anti-inflammatory properties.

I can't find it right now, but somewhere I have (or used to have ) a diagram showing how GLA breaks down in metabolism. Part of the molecule converts into an inflammatory substance (producing prostaglandins), and part of it breaks down into an anti-inflammatory substance. So, over time, the folks who don't like the inflammatory pathway came to condemn GLA (and evening primrose oil) for being pro-inflammatory. The folks who like the anti-inflammatory pathway continue to recommend GLA (and evening primrose oil) for its anti-inflammatory properties.

SafSlim apparently contains high-linoleic acid (HLA) safflower oil. I don't know how HLA breaks down metabolically, and I'm not curious enough about it to research it. But, after having suffered through a year of organic chemistry, I'm going to guess that the process is similar to that of GLA.

The University of Maryland Medical Center website recommends evening primrose oil (an omega 6) for MS:
                http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/m...sis-000111.htm

Knowing how popular evening primrose oil was for MS 10 years ago, I'm sure there are many sources that still recommend it for MS.

And here's an abstract of a journal article covering the anti-inflammatory properties of omega 6 fatty acids:
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17168669

So it appears that whether safflower oil is anti-inflammatory or inflammatory, and thus bad for people with MS, is debatable.

Did you see these? These are the studies by Ohio State University that are being cited by the Safslim folks as scientific support for their product and their claims:
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21295383
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19535429

The full articles are downloadable from their site. You may have to read them yourself to decide how well they support the company's claims about reducing belly fat.

Comment

I get upset w/ Montel,I saw him on a program & all he did was complain how his feet hurt & hard to walk ect.,Well so do mine,but I'm not to proud to use a Rollator or a wheelchair!
                  I'm sorry,but is he better than the rest of us who struggle everyday just to get out of bed?
                  That's my Vent for todayLOL Nona Judy

Comment

If the wizard of Oz and Montel says it, it has to be true, just saying as far as Montel he endorses anything he will make money on often wake up in the middle of the nite with his infomercials on. Heck is even trying to sell money at 99 percent interest.. NO THANKS

Comment

Redwings, you give a darn good Organic chemistry explanation: "I can't find it right now, but somewhere I have (or used to have ) a diagram showing how GLA breaks down in metabolism. Part of the molecule converts into an inflammatory substance (producing prostaglandins), and part of it breaks down into an anti-inflammatory substance. So, over time, the folks who don't like the inflammatory pathway came to condemn GLA (and evening primrose oil) for being pro-inflammatory. The folks who like the anti-inflammatory pathway continue to recommend GLA (and evening primrose oil) for its anti-inflammatory properties."

GLA can follow the "anti-inflammatory" pathway with certain conditions present: sufficient Bs 1, 2 & 6, Magnesium and Zinc. The presence of sufficient Omega-3 fatty acids will also support GLA's conversion to prostaglandin 3s (anti-I). Unsupported it will metabolize to PG 2s- inflammatory.

But considering the SAD, I would never tell any patient to consume safflower oil. I never add safflower oil to my diet. I know we're exposed to these Omega-6 polyunsaturates whenever we eat out.
                      NutritionTara
                      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
                        ... I would never tell any patient to consume safflower oil. I never add safflower oil to my diet. I know we're exposed to these Omega-6 polyunsaturates whenever we eat out.
                        OK; thanks Tara. That's what I wanted to know.

~ Faith
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Montel's supplement

I've been drinking the liquid for over a week and my waist has gone down an inch. I also take Dr Oz's supplements. (I've been taking evening primrose oil for some time.) I feel good and have lost a few pounds. It's hard for me to lose weight because I use a walker and can only go on my cardioglide for exercise. I'm going to keep taking the supplements because they aren't doing harm and hopefully I'll continue to lose inches and weight.

Comment

Originally posted by consue65 View Post
                            I've been drinking the liquid for over a week and my waist has gone down an inch. I also take Dr Oz's supplements. (I've been taking evening primrose oil for some time.) I feel good and have lost a few pounds. It's hard for me to lose weight because I use a walker and can only go on my cardioglide for exercise. I'm going to keep taking the supplements because they aren't doing harm and hopefully I'll continue to lose inches and weight.
                            Best wishes with that, Sue. I'm gonna stick with Tara's advice on this one though. Although a reduced waist is on my "wish list", so is anti-inflammation.

~ Faith
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                            X