Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS friendly diet/menu plan?

Hello friends!
    I am looking for a diet plan designed for patients with MS. I have struggled with my weight for many years, mainly just poor food choices. I keep hearing that diet plays a major role in how we feel, but I am having trouble finding the "right" way to eat! Does anyone know a website that I can find a detailed menu plan for MS? I am only successful when I am told what I MUST eat!
    Thank you!!

Originally posted by DJsMommy0823 View Post
    Hello friends!
    I am looking for a diet plan designed for patients with MS. I have struggled with my weight for many years, mainly just poor food choices. I keep hearing that diet plays a major role in how we feel, but I am having trouble finding the "right" way to eat! Does anyone know a website that I can find a detailed menu plan for MS? I am only successful when I am told what I MUST eat!
    Thank you!!
    There is no one universally accepted diet plan for MS. There are, however, several options that have pretty good anecdotal (not research) support. Most of them have websites, and some have books.

I suggest you browse through some threads here on Tara's forum, where you'll find a lot of information on diet as it impacts MS.

My personal choice is The MS Recovery Diet by Ann D. Sawyer and Judith E. Bachrach (book and website).

For a less restrictive approach, simply following an anti-inflammatory diet plan should be helpful. Here's a graphic showing the basic principles of such a plan:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/ecs/pyrami...odpyramid.html

Best of luck with your new eating plan, whatever it turns out to be!

Comment

I don't have a menu plan, but I have been following the MS Recovery diet for 18 months. It does contain recipes, but I haven't used them. I believe in the KISS philosophy.

I'm, basically, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, legume free (+/- 90%). There are lots of good food items out there now. Hot oat cereal with blueberries and oat milk for breakfast, soup or fish with frozen veggies and sweet potato fries for lunch, a leaf lettuce salad with fresh veggies and chicken for dinner. Throw in fresh fruit, and I'm good to go! I've lost 20 lbs. and have never felt better, and I've never been bored. The Cravings Place and Bob's Red Mill have some great gluten free mixes (Amazon).

Comment

Check out the Swank MS diet.

Sara

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
          I don't have a menu plan, but I have been following the MS Recovery diet for 18 months. It does contain recipes, but I haven't used them. I believe in the KISS philosophy.

I'm, basically, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, legume free (+/- 90%). There are lots of good food items out there now. Hot oat cereal with blueberries and oat milk for breakfast, soup or fish with frozen veggies and sweet potato fries for lunch, a leaf lettuce salad with fresh veggies and chicken for dinner. Throw in fresh fruit, and I'm good to go! I've lost 20 lbs. and have never felt better, and I've never been bored. The Cravings Place and Bob's Red Mill have some great gluten free mixes (Amazon).
          Sounds great!

I just need to point out, for those who don't already know, that oats are not considered to be part of a gluten free diet unless they're certified to contain no gluten (it will say on the package or bin).

Oats are often cross-contaminated with wheat during growing, harvesting, storage &/or processing.

My own grains of choice are brown rice, millet and quinoa.

Comment

Also check out the Best Bet Diet for MS in the Nutrition section of the DIRECT-MS website:
            http://www.direct-ms.org/recommendations.html
            The Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre in the UK has a Best Bet Diet group on their site:
            http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse.../show/pageid/8.
            Both sites have recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
              Also check out the Best Bet Diet for MS in the Nutrition section of the DIRECT-MS website:
              http://www.direct-ms.org/recommendations.html
              The Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre in the UK has a Best Bet Diet group on their site:
              http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse.../show/pageid/8.
              Both sites have recipes.
              That's right! Thanks, Redwings.

The MS Recovery Diet is essentially an Americanized version of the Best Bet Diet. The book also has recipes; I'm not sure about the website.

Comment

Don't forget the more important part of losing weight- exercise.
                If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, stretching and yoga. Try to do something each day to burn those calories.

Comment

i follod ms recovery for 3 months

Comment

Hi DJsMommy,
                    I follow some rules for eating but have recently fallen off the horse. I have read Swank's plan but you need to create your menu plan from his recipes. Not impossible, but it takes diligence. Dr. McDougall's diet plan is based on menus. I recommend them. Also, Montel Williams's book has recipes in it. Between these plans I lost 15lbs. My next step is going to be Dr. Jelinek's book and diet plan.
                    IMHO, if a diet plan doesn't involve large portions of fruits and vegetables, it isn't worth the time of day. You gotta eat, just don't eat junk, eat fruits and vegetables.

Comment

celebrities diet secrets

My true inspirations are already in this forum who have lost weight on their own inspite of all health problems as well as motivating all in this forum with proper guidance , care and love ...

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

I am finding all the diet information is getting very confusing
                        techie
                        Another pirated saying:
                        Half of life is if.
                        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                        Dogs Rule!

Comment

I posted a summary of the different diets somewhere. It's not too complicated if you study each one.

the granddaddy of all the MS diets, and the most throuroughly researched is the Swank Diet. You can google it or better, get his book.

After that there are all sorts - but they all feature eating little to no meat, little to no dairy and lots of vegetables and healthy oils. Some restrict gluten and legumes, some do not.

Comment

To follow up and in summary, you have the Swank diet plan (book), the McDougall diet (book), Forks over Knives (DVD, book) , Living Well by Montel Williams (book), etc. These are the books and recipes that I use, as well as anything on the web. These are the materials that I use to reinforce my understanding of the importance of nutrition on the treatment of this disease. Try them and good luck

Comment

i have taken many ideas from Perricone's Prescription. It is not designed for people with MS but it is an anti inflammatory diet. it was recommended by my primary care phy. I do not follow it to a T, but take from it a few things like eating a lot of salmon, cut down dairy, increase protein while decreasing carbs.
                              Katie
                              dx rrms: 2/12
                              copaxone 3/12 - current
                              dx pcos 6/13
                              gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Working...
                              X