How to gain weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
    It's important to eat a healthy diet, especially for people with MS. Soda is not part of a healthy diet, unfortunately.

There are many ways to add calories without compromising nutrition.
    I agree that good nutrition is important. That's in part why I've never gone in for fast/junk food. It just doesn't make me feel good and our bodies need all the help they can get. When I occasionally eat less-than-healthy food, I usually pay for it by feeling crappy later. I also feel better if I eat small amounts more often, but that's led to a pretty low-calorie diet.

There's a lot of research out there that says a calorie-deficient diet, at least in the animal models, lengthens life. I guess those results have influenced my diet a little.

I've made an appointment with a nutritionist to explore more ideas on how to get more calories in.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Comment

Totally relate to the "groan" comment and am anxious to hear what experts advise. I share the problem. It's incredibly difficult to try to address, especially without overloading on sugars. No idea what BMI is, but I'm sure it's not good. Pre-official Dx and Rxs, I was normal size. Eat lots of (good) breads, many small meals, lots of carbs, and just about anything I want, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Comment

Update on my weight gain quest: I saw a nutritionist 2 weeks ago. She recommended to drastically increase my protein intake, as well as calories. I think the protein thing is odd, since aren't the weight-loss diets like Atkins based on high protein?

Anyway, I've started adding a glass of eggnog between breakfast and my morning snack and a glass of milk before bed, and (knock on wood) I've gained a couple of pounds. Of course, I feel way too full most of the time and eating is becoming a bit of a chore.

Comment

I didn't read the entire thing but are you trying to gain muscle or just fat?

In order to gain any weight you must eat more cals then you burn.

If you do a google search for a "body maintence calculator" you enter your age, height, weight ect and it will tell you how many cals you burn a day.

I work out 3+ times a week and burn 2800 cals. I eat around 2-2500 right now trying to lose weight. In this I will probably lose a little muscle.
          When I get down to my target weight I will eat around 3300 cals. Just enought to gain muscle but not gain a lot of fat.

It also breaks down into more catogories then this. You need a balance diet of carb/fats/protein

Im doing a lower carb diet of about 10% carbs 45% protein 45% fat

There is a lot of diets out there to gain weight. They also make weight gainer shakes that have like 1,000 cals per shake if your having trouble eating a lot.

If you just want to gain fat, watch TV and eat doritos all day

Comment

CHOCOLATE!!

chocolate has always worked well for me

Seriously though, over the years I have had friends that this was an issue for them & I wish you the best of luck in your quest.
            DX 10/2008
            Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
            Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
            Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

HOW DO I GAIN WEIGHT WHILE EATING HEALTHY

Can someone tell me how I can gain weight on a healthy diet with no sugar,no milk,no processed foods,Help!

Comment

Originally posted by merganser View Post
                Update on my weight gain quest: I saw a nutritionist 2 weeks ago. She recommended to drastically increase my protein intake, as well as calories. I think the protein thing is odd, since aren't the weight-loss diets like Atkins based on high protein?

Anyway, I've started adding a glass of eggnog between breakfast and my morning snack and a glass of milk before bed, and (knock on wood) I've gained a couple of pounds. Of course, I feel way too full most of the time and eating is becoming a bit of a chore.
                Hi..
                I never thought I would come across a post where someone is looking to GAIN weight. I am in that same boat.. I am looking to gain weight. According to the scale on my job.. I have gained a few pounds.. I have about 15 more to go - 20 would be IDEAL.

My appetite is good these days. I try to eat as healthy as possible.. but sometimes I go off the band wagon.. I am trying to stay away from diary, wheat, gluten.. Well today, I had a small cup of yogurt, hubby fixed spaghetti using wheat pasta.. I watched my portion, I did not eat a lot.

For breakfast I eat bowl of organic cereal with frozen wild organic blueberries and banana all mixed in together with almond or Soy milk.. mmmmm delicious.

I snack on organic chips: Blue Corn Chips, Multi-Grain chips.. gluten and wheat free. Sometimes I eat organic salsa with my chips and also home made avocado sip.

Lunch and dinner varies as to what I eat.. but I do eat fish 2x a week - Wild Salmon, Sweet Potato, Baked Scallops - sometimes crab legs and a glass of wine.. mmmmmm delicious. I have a Slow Cooker so I will be fixing healthy meals. I will be trying out my first recipe tomorrow Shrimp and Chicken.

I would love for us to be Weight Gain Buddies to give each other tips, suggestions, etc. My email address is listed in my profile.. If you decide to email me.. put Weight Gain in the Subject line... I will know its you

Ms. Jay

Comment

Working...
                X