Lipoic Acid - Has anyone tried this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lipoic Acid - Has anyone tried this?

I have been doing a lot of research, and have found some studies of MS patients using Lipoic Acid, and this possibly helping with neuropathy. I have hand numbness, and I am wondering if anyone has tried this, and if so, what dose did you take and did it work for you?

This may not be what you are looking for, but there are lots of people with MS who take alpha lipoic acid (ALA) combined with acetyl l-carnitine (ALC) to help combat fatigue. Acetyl-L-carnitine is a dietary supplement used to improve memory. Alpha lipoic acid is an antioxidant which helps to make energy in the body. There are lots of studies on ALA and MS.

I don't know much about the neuropathy aspect and ALA, but my quick search of it tied the ALA to diabetic neuropathy.

Looks like Oregon State University did some studies on ALA:
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/la/

Have you asked your neuro what they think/suggest? My neuro recommended a combination therapy of supplements, so yours may have some suggestions? I take ALA and ALC most mornings before I eat breakfast. Not sure how much it helps yet, but some folks swear by it
    dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Hi buddyloki,

I've moved your thread to the "Tara's Nutrition & Supplement Notebook" forum because that's where the discussions of Lipoic Acid are. You can do a "Search This Forum" for the relevant threads, or simply scroll back through the pages looking at the thread titles.

I take the racemic form of lipoic acid per the Linus Pauling Institute studies referenced above, both for diabetic neuropathy and for potential benefits MS-wise. I haven't noticed any obvious improvements, other than that my blood glucose levels have lowered dramatically.

Comment

have taking ALA for about 2 years honestly i see no benefit from it, but keep in mind we all respond differently

Comment

I have been taking Alpha Lipoic Acid, 300mg in the morning and 300mg in the evening for about four years now. I take it, and at this dose, because of this lecture on it's benefits which I've posted before:

Dr. Burt Berkson Presentation on LDN and Alpha Lipoic Acid Therapy for Cancer & Autoimmune Disease

http://glasgowldn2009.com/2009/04/ld...erence-video3/

Dr. Berkson has written a book on ALA and probably knows more about it than anyone. He takes 300mg in the morning and 300mg in the evening.

In respect to MS, evidently Alpha Lipoic Acid helps prevent harmful T-cells from passing through the blood brain barrier, which is kind of what Tysabri does.

Alpha lipoic acid inhibits human T-cell migration: implications for multiple sclerosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15389837

I have this little personal theory on ALA and MS:

Our bodies produce a lot of ALA while young as ALA is needed to convert food energy to cellular energy. A growing body needs to make the most of food. But when the body matures, it stops producing ALA. I think this ALA may be also help protect the body against autoimmune disease, possibly the Epstein Barr Virus, and could be a contributing factor to the fact that so many young adults get MS.

Comment

Working...
          X