Vitamin D levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D levels

At the time of my diagnosis, two years ago, my vitamin d tested at about 35. I have been taking 5000 mg of D3 fairly consistently for about a year, and my recent blood test showed a level of around 48.
    What is optimal? Any suggestions?

Here's a post Tara did back on June 20 that may at least partially answer your questions:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showpos...0&postcount=15

If you scroll back through the pages on this forum, you'll find many threads on Vitamin D. It seems as though getting your level tested regularly while you're on a high-dose regimen is a common theme.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Many of the posts in this forum have given vitamin D test results as a number without explanatory units, e.g., 30. For some test results that would be OK. But for vitamin D, that's not adequate because vitamin D levels can be measured in two different units: ng/ml or nmol/L.

Without a unit stated, it's very difficult to know whether the level is adequate.

There is research that indicates that MS patients do better when their level of vitamin D is at least 100 nmol/L. However, many lab tests come back in ng/ml.

The conversion factor is approximately 1 ng/ml x 2.5 = 1 nmol/L. (I did not calculate that myself. I got it from a vitamin D forum, and the conversion sounds reasonable.)

So, to get to a minimum of 100 nmol/L requires ng/ml of at least 40 (40 ng/ml x 2.5 = 100 nmol/L).

A number like 75 without a unit can be even more confusing. It's close enough to 100 to suggest that it might be nmol/L (and thus below the recommended minimum, requiring that the level be raised). But if that 75 is ng/ml, 2.5 times that is about 188 nmol/L (well above the recommended minimum, so OK). So what to do? That demonstrates why knowing the unit of measurement is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
        Many of the posts in this forum have given vitamin D test results as a number without explanatory units, e.g., 30.

Without a unit stated, it's very difficult to know whether the level is adequate.
        In a past thread I gave my test results for vitamin D but not the unit. My vitamin D is 16 ng/ml. Normal range is 32 -100 ng/ml (per LabCorp)
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
        X