Goldenseal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goldenseal

I am no longer on the CRAB drugs as for me the side effects did not outweigh the benefits. I recently started seeing a nutritional medicine/Oriental medicine doctor and he has prescribed, among other things, the herb goldenseal. I was always told to stay away from herbs like goldenseal and echinacea because they are immune boosters and could cause a MS relapse. I told him this and he said since I am taking it in conjunction with the other supplements, it is fine to take it. Does that sound accurate to you Tara or anyone else? Thanks!

The question of whether immune-boosting herbs are bad for people with MS is a controversial one. We had a thread recently devoted to the subject, including a response by Tara herself. You might want to read that.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114381

Comment

Originally posted by storyteller58 View Post
      I am no longer on the CRAB drugs as for me the side effects did not outweigh the benefits. I recently started seeing a nutritional medicine/Oriental medicine doctor and he has prescribed, among other things, the herb goldenseal. I was always told to stay away from herbs like goldenseal and echinacea because they are immune boosters and could cause a MS relapse. I told him this and he said since I am taking it in conjunction with the other supplements, it is fine to take it. Does that sound accurate to you Tara or anyone else? Thanks!
      Was your doc cool about you goin off your dmd? I have mentioned it 2 mine,and he acts like he won't be my neuro if i dont stay on dmd.

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
        Was your doc cool about you goin off your dmd? I have mentioned it 2 mine,and he acts like he won't be my neuro if i dont stay on dmd.
        I only see my neuro about once a year so he doesn't know yet unless the drug company contacted him . But I am pretty sure he won't like it. The pressure from neuro's to take these drugs is immense, but I think that is all they know to do or have at their disposal to help someone. However, I was sick three days every week the entire two years I was on them and I just can't do it any more. I was a little nervous about going off of it, but a lot of the problems (symptoms) I was having and chalking up to MS have stopped since going off of the drug so I think it was causing them.

I decided, for me, (I wouldn't attempt to give anyone advice on what to do) that unless I have severe problems I will wait until they come out with drugs that have fewer side effects and are more like 70 percent effective instead of 30. And I understand there are several new drugs on the horizon! Until then, I will do everything I can nutritionally to try and stay healthy and by the Grace of God keep beating this neurological nightmare into submission.

I should add that I have R&R and besides a couple of relapses that turned my body into some kind of uncontrollable alien for a few months, it is pretty mild with non-dibilitating, although sometimes quite noticable and upsetting, symptoms.

Wishing you the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
          The question of whether immune-boosting herbs are bad for people with MS is a controversial one. We had a thread recently devoted to the subject, including a response by Tara herself. You might want to read that.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114381
          Thanks Sequoia!

Comment

Working...
          X