Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D deficiency

Well, I would never have believed it but it's true...I am D deficient

I spent my childhood in the sun and a few years ago had skin cancer. My D level is 16, the normal range is 32 -100. I have started a D3 supplement - NOW brand 5000IU. We shall see
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Vitamin D

I'm glad you are taking the supplements. Your levels will get better and so will your mood.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Well, I would never have believed it but it's true...I am D deficient

I spent my childhood in the sun and a few years ago had skin cancer. My D level is 16, the normal range is 32 -100. I have started a D3 supplement - NOW brand 5000IU. We shall see

Welcome to the "spent my childhood in the sun and a few years ago had skin cancer" club! Sadly, membership is nowhere near as exclusive as we'd like.

I take supplemental D3 myself. Haven't had any noticeable effects, but I do it for long-term health (MS and otherwise).

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
        Your levels will get better and so will your mood.
        Sequoia:
        Welcome to the "spent my childhood in the sun and a few years ago had skin cancer" club! Sadly, membership is nowhere near as exclusive as we'd like.
        You have both burst my bubble:

(1) I need to improve my mood

(2) I don't belong to an exclusive club

From what I can find on D3 my hopes are my energy will improve and my legs will stop aching...I can hope can't I
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Just be careful.
          If a little is good, a lot isn't always better.
          It also helps if you can check your levels in a couple of months, you'll need a blood test for that. You should also ask or find out what the signs are that you over-did it (just in case).

I did the mega-dose thing, if I felt any gain it was really mild (or I was just having a good week). You can't really gauge the effect on how you feel. What you're looking for is to raise your D level to something between 40 and 50 and the only way you'll know that is with a blood test.

Comment

I had an immediate improvement in both energy and better sleep, unfortunately I didn't sustain it.

Comment

Since my D levels are up to a normal range I take fewer doses of ibuprofen, my muscle pain is less. Best of luck getting good results too!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
                What you're looking for is to raise your D level to something between 40 and 50 and the only way you'll know that is with a blood test.
                Bob, what units are you referring to? ng/ml or nmol/L?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
                  Bob, what units are you referring to? ng/ml or nmol/L?
                  No idea, I trained to be an electrical engineer and not a doctor.
                  Kidding, all I know is that my Dr. said I started at a "15" and went up to a "perfect 45". I didn't notice any units in the report, that's just how it was written up.

Comment

Ok, I'm new to all this so the postings are helpful to me as I learn what I need and what I don't. My D count is an entire 8 and my Dr has instructed me to take 1000mg vitamin D pills. Energy is very low, is vitamin D suppose to help this?

Diagnosed August 2011

Comment

Frankly, I'm surprised your doctor hasn't instructed you to take more than 1000 IU a day. Many people take substantially more than that, on their doctors' orders, while working on getting their level up.

Are you taking D3 or D2 (it will say on the bottle)? Vitamin D3 is utilized better by the body. And are you taking softgels or tablets? Softgels are absorbed better.

As far as improvement in energy, some people do experience that when they start taking D; others not so much. Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones!

Comment

Me too!

I'm shocked! I also practically lived outside as a child, and also had a couple of basal cell carcinomas fairly recently.

I just found out today that my Vitamin D level is low as well. Not as low as some of you, but it's at 22.

Even though I know I shouldn't, I go outside often without sunscreen. So, I don't understand why it would be low. I don't have any other health conditions (that I am aware of) that would cause it. However, I can't eat eggs and don't eat a lot of other dairy products.

I've read about it, but can't quite understand why it's related to MS. Does MS cause it? Do we have low levels of Vit D for the same reasons we have MS?

My husband just found out his was low a couple of weeks ago, but I can understand that. He has been ill for several years, and doesn't get outside much. And, I'm eating crow now because I told him "I bet mine's normal...". Mine was lower than his!

Go figure...

Best to all,
                        T2B
                        , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Comment

Working...
                        X