Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety

Is anyone taking something natural for anxiety? I meditate and do yoga, but still deal with quite a bit of anxiety. I don't want to take a prescription med - would like to try something more natural.

Jen

A couple of herbal possibilities are passionflower and valerian. Kava kava works well for anxiety, but carries the risk of liver damage and should be approached very cautiously or avoided altogether.

5-HTP is reputed to be effective too. I took it for a while for depression and it did help some with that, but I didn't notice any reduction in anxiety.

Comment

Thanks Sequoia - I really appreciate the info. I think I'll try the passionflower or the valerian.

Jen

Comment

I take an anti anxiety drug....

Comment

Magnesium may be of some benefit to reduce the physiological symptoms; tension, heart rate increases, low blood sugar (and you need to eat regularly).

You could take 200mg 2 -3x/day. Use a soluble form so as not to create loose stools: magnesium citrate or glycinate.
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thanks Tara. I take magnesium with my calcium, but I will increase it.

Jen

Comment

Aerobic exercise is amazing for depression if you can do it.

Comment

I am a big believer in the Bach's Rescue Remedy. I does have a little alcohol in it...(oh well!) but, I do use it regularly.

It is a little expensive and the effect only lasts about 40 minutes but it doesn't make you feel drowsy (although it does contain Valerian) and it gets you through that anxiety point.

I like it.

I use the Rescue Remedy for animals all the time too.

Worth a try

J
                Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Anxiety/depression

Hi, I just started taking xanax, lexapro and clonazepam to help with sleeping at night. I do not like how any of it makes me feel. I do not feel like myself anymore. I am still struggling with anxiety and some panic attacks. I am on the lowest dose of each. Initially, the medication was not helping me to sleep. I was waking up after 4 hours of sleep. Now I sleep better, but wake up feeling drowsy until about noon it wears off. Then at 3:00 pm I begin the regimen all over again. I would like a natural way to go to sleep but experiencing much difficulty with mobility and balance so I am not able to do yoga or exercise. Meditation has not been helpful. I am missing out on so much with my kids and husband. Just want to feel better.
                  The MS symptoms are enough to battle, now struggling with anxiety and depression.

Comment

I would start with...

Big A's advice before any meds. Just saying,

Exercise, not just aerobic exercise, affect the endocrine system (relating to, or denoting glands that secrete hormones or other products directly into the blood).

A most natural way to ease anxiety with additional benefits.

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by HopeforDeeDee View Post
                      Hi, I just started taking xanax, lexapro and clonazepam to help with sleeping at night. I do not like how any of it makes me feel. I do not feel like myself anymore. I am still struggling with anxiety and some panic attacks. I am on the lowest dose of each. Initially, the medication was not helping me to sleep. I was waking up after 4 hours of sleep. Now I sleep better, but wake up feeling drowsy until about noon it wears off. Then at 3:00 pm I begin the regimen all over again. I would like a natural way to go to sleep but experiencing much difficulty with mobility and balance so I am not able to do yoga or exercise. Meditation has not been helpful. I am missing out on so much with my kids and husband. Just want to feel better.
                      The MS symptoms are enough to battle, now struggling with anxiety and depression.
                      I'm very sorry to hear you're anxious and depressed. It may be that the unpleasant side effects you're having with the medications will wear off as your body becomes accustomed to them; I hope so!

I do want to say that if meditation has not been helpful to you, you may have been doing it wrong. It's been invaluable to me, and to many other people with a variety of medical conditions, as borne out by research.

There are many forms (styles) of meditation, some of which are more helpful than others. Getting good-quality instruction in how to meditate is also important, whatever form you follow.

Comment

Working...
                      X