help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help

I heard about an supplement called astaxanthin, I am wondering if anyone heard of this and if we can take it? thanks Christine

Dr. Mercola was on a show today talking about that supplement. He says he takes 8 mg. a day. (I was writing down what he takes.....interesting!) He made a point to stress that you must take it with food, preferably something with some fat content.

Not sure if this is safe for MSers, I am just commenting on what was said on the show.

Comment

I can't think of any reason why astaxanthin would be harmful for MSers, but I'm not a professional nutritionist or M.D.

I do know that we have at least one member who is concerned about taking antioxidants because she feels they upregulate the immune system.

Personally, I take several antioxidant supplements (but not astaxanthin) and eat a diet rich in natural antioxidants.

Comment

One main benefit with antioxidants is to reduce inflammation in the body. We are learning how inflammation damages so many systems in the body.
        So keep in mind a more advanced antioxidant is not going to stop inflammation and free-radical damage from a 'crappy' lifestyle....its a "whole" approach.
        Astaxanthin is for below the neck and zeaxanthin is for the eyes.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

there are some who suggest it has neurological benefits as well. I am finding as more people are becoming concerned about neurological woes more meds are making that claim. As a result, I have no solid evidence this is true. I have it but have not taken it yet. It would not go over too well with my traditional meds. I just weaned myself off of Wellbutrin and am now ready to try it.

I can say this for certain. I pricked a pill a few months ago and put it on my arms. The med I was taken have given my skin a horrible dryness. It instantly turned my skin the color of an ompa loompa but when I washed it off my skin was soft as a babies arse.

So if nothing else, use if for your skin. I would do a search on Mayo or drugs.com for interactions before hand.

Lbj

Comment

Working...
          X