Dried Fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dried Fruit

Is dried fruit good for snacking? What if you are trying to go gluten free, would dried fruit still be acceptable?

Fresh fruit always spoils before eating. Frozen isn't practical at work, but dried seems ok. My preferred choices are cranberry, blueberry, cherry, and strawberry. Not fond of banana dried fruit.

Dried fruit is a nutritious snack, and since no fruit contains gluten, it's fine for a gluten free diet.

It can be bad for your teeth, though, unless you brush right after eating. If you can't brush, at least rinse your mouth very thoroughly with water. The stickiness of dried fruit coats your teeth just like chewy candy does.

Comment

Goody!!!

Thanks! I was hoping it would be ok. I had wondered about the sticky residue. I can brush (I always try to after lunch) so that won't be a problem.

Comment

Make sure you have some food with the dried fruit. nuts, yogurt, cheese.....
        Too much sugar to have by itself.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

pumpkin seeds

I try to eat either a few almonds or some pumpkin seeds with the fruit.

Comment

Just wondering...is there any concern about how (the method or anything used) the fruit is dried?

j
            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post
              Just wondering...is there any concern about how (the method or anything used) the fruit is dried?

j
              People who are allergic/sensitive to sulfiting agents need to avoid sulfured dried fruit. Alternatives are available, but they're often more pricey and don't look or taste like the more familiar sulfured versions.

"Sulfur dioxide is used as an antioxidant in some dried fruits to protect their color and flavor. For example, in golden raisins, dried peaches, apples and apricots sulfur dioxide is used to keep them from losing their light color by blocking browning reactions which darkens fruit and alter their flavor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dried_fruit

The package should say if the fruit has been sulfured.

Comment

Working...
              X