Gluten Sensitivites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten Sensitivites?

I was dxed in 2009 and have been on Rebif since. I have been fine with the injections but my concern is the more so the antidepressant. I was and sometimes still am having a heck of time with appetite. I most times do not feel hungry, and my MRIs don't seem to be getting much better either. :/

In June of this year I decided to look into Nutritional Healing. I have been Gluten and Casein Free (Wheat and Dairy) since July 8th.

In my discussions with my nutritionist and my gastroenterologist they seem to believe that I have a gluten sensitivity/allergy and that it has over the years manifested itself in my brain...to keep it simple.

I had extreme withdrawals from gluten/casein for a few weeks. I felt great for the first week but then I started having a weird chemical type reaction. I was extremely angry and emotional for a few days, and then a couple times a week for a couple weeks after that . Finally things have tapered off and I feel normal (as I can be anyway) again.

I am going in for MRI's in Dec. and I am hoping to stay GFCF until then. My neuro does not know what I am doing yet, I dont feel that I can really talk to him either tho. I have heard great things about this approach, and I have heard MDs do not like it.

Has anyone here tried this approach? Im very committed to being gfcf, there's absolutely nothing wishy washy about this new lifestyle. I want to see my MRIs getting better and I really hope this is the key.

There are indeed some members here who are gluten free, and a smaller number who are dairy free. I'm both myself, and vegan to boot!

Tara, our professional nutritionist here at MSWorld, encourages everyone with MS to eliminate gluten from their diet. She also recommends that dairy products only be consumed in cultured form (yogurt, kefir, cheese etc.) & as organic butter from range-fed cows.

If you spend some time reading in this forum, you'll find lots of information on going gluten free.

Congratulations on making the change yourself!

Comment

LammyCat, I encourage you to continue despite any statements from a Neurologists that discounts diet. Its your body and diet is one of the few things you have control over.
      That response is just crap and it pisses me off! (from any professional).

That said......I have seen dramatic emotional changes occur when switching to a gluten free diet.
      The biggest "proof" is in children; they're not so messed up with other baggage like adults.
      ADD improved, withdrawn behavior, aggressive behavior all improved. Even cognition seems to greatly improve when children are put on a GF plan.

Good Luck!
      NutritionTara
      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
      X