Probiotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probiotics

I was just wondering how to determine which of the probiotics is right for me. Do they all help in the same way? I know someone said they take the refridgerator type and someone else said pearls? and someone else gets theirs from trader joes. And can anyone explain the actual benefit of probiotics? I'm hoping to address loose stools. I barely can make it to the bathroom many mornings. Sorry I know its too much info but just needed to ask..Thanks all.

I do take the ala / alc of 200 and 2000 ( that might be backwards), curcumin, cq10, multivitimin, omega 3 1200 mg twice a day, vit. d and c and calcium. I am on the copaxone, gabapentin, and provigil...

Originally posted by elsieblu View Post
    I was just wondering how to determine which of the probiotics is right for me. Do they all help in the same way? I know someone said they take the refridgerator type and someone else said pearls? and someone else gets theirs from trader joes. And can anyone explain the actual benefit of probiotics? I'm hoping to address loose stools. I barely can make it to the bathroom many mornings. Sorry I know its too much info but just needed to ask..Thanks all.
    All of the probiotic supplements do roughly the same thing...regulate your digestive tract. The specific probiotic(s) present in the supplements vary from brand to brand, the most common being Lactobacillus Acidophilus, and some are said by the manufacturers to be more effective for different digestive symptoms than others...but I don't think there's definitive research available to back up those claims.

It's my understanding that the refrigerated brands, in capsule or liquid form, are the most potent. The term perle means a soft gelcap, and doesn't say anything about what's inside. Trader Joe's is just one of many places to buy one's supplements. I get most of mine online at iHerb.com; they offer deep discounts + free shipping if your order meets a minimum amount.

Without knowing what's causing your loose stools, it's hard to say whether a probiotic supplement will help or not. There's no harm in trying one, though!

Comment

Loose Stools

Hi There,

Not a great subject to discuss but a real problem. I just added some foods back into my diet becuase I seriously need to gain some weight. I also drank some ensure with a probiotic. I just read that magnesium can cause loose stools so take a soluble form. I am no longer GF. Started eating multigrain bread and pasta. I am also trying to find the right combination of supplements so I may have too much going on to determine what is really causing the problem. Not sleeping well. Just started medications for anxiety and depression and sleep (xanax, lexapro, clonazepam). Not really feeling great. Need some suggestions. Not on any MS drug right now. Was taking avonex, rebif briefly then tysabri. Neuro just recommeded cytoxin.

Hopefor DeeDee

Comment

Originally posted by HopeforDeeDee View Post
        Hi There,

Not a great subject to discuss but a real problem. I just added some foods back into my diet becuase I seriously need to gain some weight. I also drank some ensure with a probiotic. I just read that magnesium can cause loose stools so take a soluble form. I am no longer GF. Started eating multigrain bread and pasta. I am also trying to find the right combination of supplements so I may have too much going on to determine what is really causing the problem. Not sleeping well. Just started medications for anxiety and depression and sleep (xanax, lexapro, clonazepam). Not really feeling great. Need some suggestions. Not on any MS drug right now. Was taking avonex, rebif briefly then tysabri. Neuro just recommeded cytoxin.

Hopefor DeeDee
        Have you considered that the changes you've recently made to your diet may be causing your loose stools?

Comment

Pro Biotic in terms of diet suppliments usually refers to "good" bacteria that helps us digest food. It might be handy to think of pro-biotic bacteria as eating the unhealthy or hard-to-digest stuff we already ate.
          You might want to talk to your Dr. about the meds you already take and the current problems you're dealling with.
          For example, many of us take Amantadine for MS fatigue. Amantadine works for folks with MS because of a side effect. Amantadine is usually Rx'd as an anti-bacterial med for folks who don't have MS. So, Amantadine and pro-biotics may not be a good combination.

Comment

Working...
          X