MSM or SAMe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSM or SAMe?

I read somewhere this is often helpful for people with AI conditions. I haven't done a lot of digging, but the one source (I think it was emedicine) had me convinced to try it.

Has anyone tried it and does it seem to help?
    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Here's an old thread on MSM:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103780

Comment

Thanks for the links, S. I tried a search on MSM and came up with nothing. Great info. And thanks for the link on the B vitamins too. I'm going to give that a shot.
      I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Tara?

Not a lot of responses here. Is SamE just another fad?
        Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
          Not a lot of responses here. Is SamE just another fad?
          SAMe isn't just another fad.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/same/NS_patient-same

I've taken it myself for depression, on the advice of my psychopharmacologist, with moderate effectiveness.

Studies show that it reduces the pain associated with osteoarthritis. I didn't notice any reduction in my MS pain, however.

SAMe also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
            SAMe isn't just another fad.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/same/NS_patient-same

I've taken it myself for depression, on the advice of my psychopharmacologist, with moderate effectiveness.

Studies show that it reduces the pain associated with osteoarthritis. I didn't notice any reduction in my MS pain, however.

SAMe also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
            Thank you for the links and for the mention on the top of the Board as to how to find older posts dealing with the same information. I have tried to work this feature before, but I it's just not "Dummy Proof" the way my Google window is! I don't even own a cell-phone. I am admittedly electronically challenged...so I repeat stuff even though I do go back several pages (as I do know how to do that) to see if there are any similar posts before doing so. I'm about to put another one out there, Sequoia. If it is too moronic (and it just might be), please don't even put it on the Board. Here goes...
            Tawanda

Comment

SAMe,

SAMe is a very large molecule and will not survive ( intact) digestion, or getting to the joint.
              I think its an expensive hype....and probably has more of a placebo effect for people.
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Sam-e is used as a prescription treatment for depression in Russia, Italy and Germany. Multiple clincial trials have proven it's effacy for depression, liver disease, and osteoarthritis.

It is also being considered for use for people with Alzheimers because low levels of Sam-e may cause the disease to occur.

Based on this I do not think it is a placebo effect at all. In fact the clinical trials state otherwise.

Yes, it is expensive but many drugs are. If they offer theraputic improvement they are worth every penny.

Comment

Working...
                X