California rolls??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California rolls??

Hi I was told by someone that california rolls have gluten?? IS that true and what can we have instead? thanks Christine

California rolls (sushi) do not normally have gluten in them. Just rice, nori (seaweed), crab, cucumber, avocado, and sometimes sesame seeds.

Comment

Almost all soy sauce is made with gluten. There are a couple of brands of soy sauce that you can purchase online that are gluten free however; at the actual restaurant you will most likely get soy sauce with gluten.

Comment

Originally posted by tlrosbach View Post
        Almost all soy sauce is made with gluten. There are a couple of brands of soy sauce that you can purchase online that are gluten free however; at the actual restaurant you will most likely get soy sauce with gluten.
        True! I wasn't thinking of the soy sauce.

If, however, you go to a natural foods type restaurant or one that offers Celiac-friendly meals, they may use gluten-free soy sauce. The only way to know would be to ask.

Comment

soy

So do they mix soy with the crab mixture? there is a place called Tokoy Joes and they use Gluten free products, have the gluten free soy sause... but I dont know if regular places put soy/gluten in the california rolls.It doesnt look like there is gluten in there lurking about ,Anyone know??

Comment

The problem is the "crab". California rolls use imitation crab meat which is actually fish. When its formed into sticks they use a binder which contains gluten.

Your options- real crabmeat. I always hear them called Maryland rolls or something like that. Or go for the real fish and learn to love some spicy tuna

I actually find gluten free soy sauce at my grocery store. Just took some label reading but I was surprised!!!
            Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

Working...
            X