Absorbing Supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absorbing Supplements

My Neurologist told me I am lacking B-12, I take it as a supplement but my body is not absorbing it, is there a supplement I can take that will help my body absorb the other supplements I take ?????

Thanks

Link to Linus Pauling Institute for Supplement Info

Someone on another website (www.thisisms.com) recently pointed me to the Linus Pauling Institute which has excellent information on supplements, minerals, vitamins, etc.

Here's a link to the information on B-12:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...ns/vitaminB12/

I think you'll find some useful information there. Not a quick answer, but certainly some useful information.

Good luck.

Comment

If you are significantly lacking in B12, you may need injections. Oral supplements may not be enough to get your level up.

If you do take an oral B12 supplement, the methylcobalamin form is more biologically active than the cyanocobalamin form.

As for digestion in general, the two supplements Tara recommends are hydrochloric acid and digestive enzymes. Whether these can improve digestion/absorption of supplements specifically, I don't know. Here's a very good, very thorough post Tara wrote a while back on digestion:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104979

One further thought:

Liquid supplements, and powders that can be stirred into liquids, are the most easily absorbed. Next come capsules/gelcaps. Last are tablets, which may go right through the body undigested. Sublingual tablets, which are small and are held under the tongue while they dissolve slowly, are an exception to the tablet rule. Vitamin B12 is available in sublingual form.

Comment

Antacids if taken on a reg basis will stop the body from absorbing B12 along as will Metformin which is used to treat type 2 diabetes
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Working...
        X