Gluten free and other diet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten free and other diet question

Okay, so I've heard about people with MS going with a gluten free diet, but I've not seen evidence to support it. As a matter of fact, just recently I heard that outside of celiac disease, or a gluten allergy, it's NOT recommended that anyone go gluten free.

Also, I've looked at some gluten free information, and, as a married mother of two teenagers, I can't expect them to make dietary sacrifices for me (especially as the oldest one gets fed by the band boosters at band camp, and they eat lunch at school during the school year), and we certainly can't afford to be purchasing two different menus. During the summer months, the food stamps we receive covers about one grocery run per month, and our food budget equates to roughly 1/3 of my SSDI.

Basically, I'm just wondering what sort of dietary guidelines I can adopt that won't send my kids out of the house screaming, and that I can afford.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Whether or not eliminating gluten from the diet (except in the case of Celiac Disease) is a good thing to do is controversial. Tara, the professional nutritionist whose forum this is, recommends it for everyone. I myself am gluten free, as are a number of other MSWorld members.

Two of the major MS diets, the Best Bet Diet and the MS Recovery Diet, require eliminating gluten. Although there isn't scientific research showing that eliminating gluten is of benefit for MS, there is a considerable body of anecdotal evidence supporting that contention.

A simple change in eating pattern that the whole family can follow, isn't expensive, and is MS-friendly is the anti-inflammatory plan. Here's a link to Andy Weil, MD's Anti-Inflammatory Pyramid, a good basic guideline:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/ecs/pyrami...odpyramid.html

It's very important to eliminate all trans fats (hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils) from the diet, not just for people with MS but for all their family members. That's a simple, non-expensive step too (and is part of Dr. Weil's recommendation).

There's a great deal more information on all of this here on Tara's forum.

Comment

Sequoia as usual covered it all. Here is my opinion as well:

Regarding your family, I would believe it is nearly impossible to find any diet alterations that will be accepted by one let alone two teenagers. Don't take this lightly as my career of the last 23 years has been child nutrition.

Regarding proof, this is very difficult. Science expects double blind placebo tests. Proving gluten free would require a controlled environment- impossible as people travel about and either cheat or even unintentionally eat foods containing gluten.

My experience has been GF since early 2005, never had new symptoms or been on any medication. I work full time and do everything I did before MS. The stoppage of disease progression is my proof to myself.

Regarding adopting dietary guidelines, this is very complicated. One diet does not fit all, as every person is different- our biochemistry is different. It takes lots of self research and/or an expert's assistance. Tara is an excellent source and cuts right to the crux of an individual's diet needs. I highly recc. looking into utilizing her services. Google- Tara Palmer nutritionist.
      Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post

Regarding adopting dietary guidelines, this is very complicated. One diet does not fit all, as every person is different- our biochemistry is different. It takes lots of self research and/or an expert's assistance. Tara is an excellent source and cuts right to the crux of an individual's diet needs. I highly recc. looking into utilizing her services. Google- Tara Palmer nutritionist.
        Here's a link to Tara's webpage.

http://www.nutritionalchemistry.net/

Comment

Working...
        X