Multivitamin without Vitamin A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multivitamin without Vitamin A

Just wondering if any of you try to avoid getting too much vitamin A. Maybe Tara can help with this one?

I have been taking a multivitamin without A....called
    B to Zinc

Just tried to re-order and can't find it. My question is whether it is really necessary to eliminate the A if you use RetinA. I hate to spend the money for the vitamins anyway.

If I don't need B to Zinc, is there a relatively inexpensive vitamin supplement that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by Nance View Post
    My question is whether it is really necessary to eliminate the A if you use RetinA.
    Hi Nance:
    Retin-A isn't vitamin A. It's tretinoin, a molecule derived from vitamin A. The body doesn't get vitamin A from topical tretinoin. So that means two things:

1) Vitamin A has to be obtained through dietary intake because none of it is coming from Retin-A.

2) There's no concern about overdosing on vitamin A because of Retin-A since there isn't any vitamin A obtained from it anyway.

That had to be made clear first before addressing your question, which actually leads to a different issue.

Is it necessary to eliminate vitamin A supplementation if you use Retin-A? No, not because of the Retin-A, because there isn't any vitamin A in Retin-A.

That leads to the next question: Is it even necessary to supplement vitamin A beyond what's obtained through diet? I'll defer to Tara and other more nutritionally savvy posters to answer that one.

But I will say this about that. Several years ago, vitamin manufacturers jumped on the results of an early macular degeneration study and started putting large amounts of beta carotene and/or vitamin A -- 15,000 and 25,000 IU -- into their products. Not long afterward, further studies showed that large amounts of beta carotene and/or vitamin A can actually be harmful. In particular, cigarette smokers and former smokers who took vitamin A supplements were found to have an increased incidence of lung cancer. Not surprisingly, that changed the entire approach to vitamin A supplementation. Vitamin makers returned to including much lower levels of beta carotene and/or vitamin A, and some products no longer include vitamin A at all.

So, is it possible to get too much vitamin A from supplements? Yes, but not because of Retin-A.

Is a vitamin A supplement even necessary? Tara? Sequoia?

Comment

Thanks, Redwings, for the great information. Since I posted thread, I have done a little research and it IS recommended that folks using accutane not add vitamin A. RetinA is not a problem for this, as you mentioned.

I dimly remember reading the study you referenced. That may have been the reason I ultimately decided to reduce exposure to vitamin A. I forget so much. Maybe you can relate?

I was not aware there were several multis that do not have Vitamin A included. The only one I could find was B to Zinc. Now that I can no longer find that online, I would be interested to learn the name of a similar supplement.

More importantly, I look forward to Tara's recommendation on whether or not we need to take multis, with or without vitamin A. I know it is important to get enough beta carotene, but I don't always remember to eat a carrot a day. So much to remember!

Comment

Your analysis is spot on as usual, Redwings.

As for vitamin A supplementation in general, Tara's the expert and hopefully she'll be along soon to give her reading. I can say, though, that in general she doesn't recommend a multivitamin at all. I don't take one myself, nor would I consider taking vitamin A/beta carotene alone.

We do so much better getting our vitamins from whole foods when possible, IMHO. That way we get all the cofactors naturally associated with a given vitamin. We also avoid any risks that come with taking a given vitamin in isolation.

The exception is where there's an actual deficiency, as with B12 or D3.

Comment

I rarely use multis. The multi I have is a collection of different greens -which provide a lot of vitamins: magnesium/ calcium, iron, antioxidants, vit A C K, folate, trace minerals depending on the soil, alkalize the body.
          Can't have enough greens.

Vit A? from food only. I think the multi people do it better and the amount of A in multis should be safe? but IMO still not a good idea. One of the few vitamins the liver stores, so we don't want to take a lot in supplemental form. I don't have a vit A supplement on my shelves.
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Tara, is the collection of greens something we can order from you?

IMO.......?
            IMHO.....?

Thanks!

Comment

I remember years ago, due to his psoriasis, my husband was on a medication that was essentially a megadose of Vitamin A. After he was off of it, he went to give blood for a blood drive, and was told he couldn't donate blood for a year after he was off the medication. It was too bad, though, the treatment (soriatane maybe?) with a regular dose of steroids worked wonders for his psorisis, although I think that was mainly the steroids. He was recently on a medrol dosepack for a shoulder injury and it did wonders for his psoriasis. He's just not willing to take the new pharmaceuticals offered for it because of the side effects.
              Diagnosis: May, 2008
              Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

IMO.......?
                IMHO.....?

Thanks!
                I don't think Tara sells products herself. There are various "green" blends (veggies + seaweed, usually, plus some have fruit added for palatability) on the market in liquid and capsule form. Whole foods stores and health stores often carry them. Maybe Tara can recommend a brand.

IMO = In My Opinion
                IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Comment

I take vitamin code which I find really helpful it's a vegan vitamin all raw foods. when i stopped taking for a mos. i felt an extreme difference.

it can be a bit pricey yet usually cheaper on line. i love the stuff a little smelly at first and a slight after taste yet that goes away shortly after taking them.
                  Jen Dx'd 5/11
                  "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

IMO.......?
                    IMHO.....?

Thanks!
                    IMO, isn't that in my opinion??

Hi Nancy, I'm not here to sell vitamins and we've collectively decided recommending a particular brand could be biased.
                    I am a chemist and I try to teach you'all how to evaluate ingredients in supplements so you can be an informed consumer...(without getting so ripped off)

GREENS: the are many powdered green formulas out there. The ones I use are organic and unheated. The process is: they liquefy the greens and then spray them out into/onto thin sheets and crumble them into a powder.
                    This maintains the most vitamins and minerals...true for any supplement; they should never be heated.
                    I think greens are a fabulous supplement to programs.
                    NutritionTara
                    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X