Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reducing Sodium intake

Tara,
    Any input you can provide re: your knowledge of lowering sodium consumption to reduce swelling and help blood flow.

I recently saw a vasular surgeon at the direction of my primary physician due to swelling and purplish color in both feet. I no longer walk or stand.

The doctor does not see any concern; and did not see a need for any tests or medications (which I am happy with ). He said to cut back on sodium, elevate, drink alot of water and keep lotion to avoid skin/infections.

I did not think my diet had much sodium until I now read all the labels even on juice !

Anyway I plan to stick with it and wondered if you had any feedback.

Thanks.

Sodium has a way of pulling water which would normally be excreted through the kidneys back into the bloodstream. That excess water will then leech out into the body tissues and cause swelling. Decreasing sodium (and also drinking more water), will cause the water to be excreted as it should be.

Since you no longer walk or stand, you're also more at risk for swelling because it's muscle contractions in the legs which help push the blood up through the veins and back to the heart. If you're not moving your legs much, the blood just pools in the feet and legs. Moving your legs in any way that you can and also keeping them elevated so the blood is not having to flow uphill should help with the problem too.

As you've noticed, sodium is "hidden" in a lot of different foods. Even if you don't add table salt to your food, you get a lot in various packaged products (especially soups, lunch meats, and frozen dinners.) Try to buy low sodium alternatives and fresh (not canned) vegetables when you can.

Hugs,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Oh, I just noticed you addressed this specifically to Tara. Sorry about that. I'm not Tara. I just teach human anatomy and terminology and used to be a nurse, so I know a bit about swelling and decreasing sodium to treat it. I'm sure Tara will be along soon to answer your question.
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

More spices!

DH had a serious salt addiction, but needed to reduce his intake for health reasons. My purchasing low/reduced sodium products can only do so much when he reaches for the salt shaker before the fork!

First change I made was to switch him from regular salt to reduced sodium salt. After he became accustomed to that we added Mrs Dash-type seasonings. Now he actually prefers Mrs Dash to salt!
        DX 10/2008
        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Thanks Lisa.

Your response matches up with my doctors explanation - hopefully time will tell. I see a little improvement, but not much so far.

Paying close attention to the sodium I consume, not too much really based on the 2200-2400 max per day.

Thanks again.

Comment

[QUOTE=bluegiraffe;1297925]Tara,
            Any input you can provide re: your knowledge of lowering sodium consumption to reduce swelling and help blood flow.

I recently saw a vasular surgeon at the direction of my primary physician due to swelling and purplish color in both feet. I no longer walk or stand.

The doctor does not see any concern; and did not see a need for any tests or medications (which I am happy with ). He said to cut back on sodium, elevate, drink alot of water and keep lotion to avoid skin/infections.

I did not think my diet had much sodium until I now read all the labels even on juice !

Anyway I plan to stick with it and wondered if you had any feedback.

Reducing your sodium intake will not SOLVE the problem. Its more complicated than that.
            < 30% of hypertensive patients are "truly" salt-sensitive, yet they blanket the recommendation to everyone.

If you have a true rennin defect- sodium becomes a player; very few people do.

Sorry if I make health care workers mad. I put hypertensive patients on sea salt (+ other things) and have great results Its too complex an explanation for here.

Follow your doctors recommendation.....but add magnesium ~about 200mg - 3x/day to your program.
            Your mineral deficient - not sodium overloaded
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thanks much Tara.

Will give the magnesium a try.
              So far you are right lowering sodium does not appear to be helping

At the dose of 3x 100 mg =300 mg a day do I need to be concerned about bathroom issues ? Have heard mag can cause diarrhea.

Comment

same question but noticed you suggest 600 mg of magnesium 3x200 a day
                thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
                  Thanks much Tara.

Will give the magnesium a try.
                  So far you are right lowering sodium does not appear to be helping

At the dose of 3x 100 mg =300 mg a day do I need to be concerned about bathroom issues ? Have heard mag can cause diarrhea.
                  The soluble forms will be less likely to loosen you up: glycinate, aspartate, succinate, citrate.
                  Build up slowly and you will tolerate it better.
                  NutritionTara
                  Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X