Goalposters check in 04-13-2023

Goalposters check in 04-13-2023

I haven't posted this for a long time. Sorry
    ​Sorry.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Hi Mamabug! Great to see you!
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey everyone!

I've been accomplishing my exercise goals, albeit with a great amount of effort needed.

Physical activities, including ADL's, are becoming more and more difficult.

The occasional rough times have become an unwanted regular occurrence.

I'm still taking each day as it comes, anticipating some easier days, hours, or even minutes.

Trudging onward...

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X per day @ 20 - 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (10 each X2) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises (with varied # of reps)

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage​.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks, Koko! I don't have anything accurate to post here because I haven't been great at keeping track. But, I continue to kind of maintain what I've been doing -- generally partial goals. Some Silver Sneakers, some PT at home. Now that the weather is nicer, I hope to ride bike with hubby more, but we've only done that once or twice this spring so far.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Goalposters,

It's been a month since I last posted! Everyone appeared busy with Easter and hopefully many are enjoying a taste of early spring too, with more outside activity. Weather in southern PA has been excellent.

In that time I haven't missed any workouts and found the motivation (?) to venture out a bit more. Some shopping, a restaurant, one day just a drive to top-off tank. Little things that lifted me more than I ever expected!

Caution certainly and I limit the extent of activity, but the lift mentioned is undeniable.

Credit needs to go to maintaining a work ethic or simply that successful attempts at exercise translated into a cautious but honest attempt at 'normal.'

The disease advances however. Little things that were avoided because of poor results are now very hard to accomplish. Reestablishing my efforts isn't something I look forward to.

Side note: Received a card from my old trainer. She's doing well and asked if I'm keeping up with my exercise. Told her I'd probably die in a gym.

Good segue.... might search for local gyms; as to price, equipment, location, just for variety.

Or possibly visit the onsite PT people for a fresh take or focus. May have been blessed with discipline but could benefit from some direction. Do miss my trainer, she was discipline AND direction!

Hope we all keep at it!

Comment

Hey there Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            In that time I haven't missed any workouts and found the motivation (?) to venture out a bit more. Some shopping, a restaurant, one day just a drive to top-off tank. Little things that lifted me more than I ever expected!

Caution certainly and I limit the extent of activity, but the lift mentioned is undeniable.

Credit needs to go to maintaining a work ethic or simply that successful attempts at exercise translated into a cautious but honest attempt at 'normal.'
            Super report! Gotta love your attitude and self-awareness.

Originally posted by 502E79
            The disease advances however. Little things that were avoided because of poor results are now very hard to accomplish. Reestablishing my efforts isn't something I look forward to.
            I get what you're saying, but it's a real possibility that the poor results were due to impaired nerve signaling. Certain activities may now be very difficult simply due to the disease progression and not necessarily due to avoidance.

All you can do is give the activities an honest attempt, as you said previously, to see if some improvements can be attained.

Originally posted by 502E79
            Side note: Received a card from my old trainer. She's doing well and asked if I'm keeping up with my exercise. Told her I'd probably die in a gym.

Good segue.... might search for local gyms; as to price, equipment, location, just for variety.

Or possibly visit the onsite PT people for a fresh take or focus. May have been blessed with discipline but could benefit from some direction. Do miss my trainer, she was discipline AND direction!
            Nice for you to hear from your trainer!

PT eval sounds like a good idea.

I don't get the gyms search, though, just for variety. You must be really full of extra good energy these days!

Comment

Jer --

Sorry to hear about your disease progression. Probably all of you get tired of hearing me talk about this but the changes I made in my diet and lifestyle halted my profession.

I'll always be glad to tell you more if you want to hear it. Or, consider supplementing your health care by adding a functional medicine doctor.

- Faith

​​​​
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I'll try to start a new post on Thursday.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

HI ALL, yea! We get older and the demon progresses. Moving into the spms just makes me angry. I do my pt exercises to keep the stengh but thats about it. Ms has a mind of its own. Ive given up trying to be the avtive person i was 2 years ago. i was hoping for a cure by now. Enjoy the weather ! Roxy

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    I get what you're saying, but it's a real possibility that the poor results were due to impaired nerve signaling. Certain activities may now be very difficult simply due to the disease progression and not necessarily due to avoidance.

All you can do is give the activities an honest attempt, as you said previously, to see if some improvements can be attained.

Yes KoKo, the poor results are due to impaired nerve signaling, a sign of disease progression.

I always try to reach all possible muscle groups in exercise routines to establish benchmarks. I do not want disappointing results stopping my attempts. Mind over matter, continue to try regardless of results.

As said before, MS is a thief, if you don't use it (and just maybe when you do ), it will be taken away without your knowing it!

Same reasoning is applicable to a gym search, by variety I mean a better equipped gym... beyond basics.

Comment

Hi Jer

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                      As said before, MS is a thief, if you don't use it (and just maybe when you do ), it will be taken away without your knowing it!
                      Or, in another scenario, trying with all of your might, you're unable to use it because the axons carrying the nerve signals to it, are damaged or destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                        Jer --

Sorry to hear about your disease progression. Probably all of you get tired of hearing me talk about this but the changes I made in my diet and lifestyle halted my profession.

I'll always be glad to tell you more if you want to hear it. Or, consider supplementing your health care by adding a functional medicine doctor.

- Faith

​​​​

Thanks Mamabug, but my disease progression is and always has been s l o w thankfully.

And my diet is healthier than it's been, at least what is considered healthy to your average normal person. Diet was never poor.

I too believe changes in diet and lifestyle can help slow progression. But eliminating progression is still a magic bullet.

Many threads question the newest DMT, no DMT, MRI frequency, new neurologist, age etc, all speak of keeping progression in check with the hope of eliminating it all together.

I know my body, mind and spirit now better than ever before! Pretty good start, right?

Comment

Sure. You do you. ❤️
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by roxy118 View Post
                            HI ALL, yea! We get older and the demon progresses. Moving into the spms just makes me angry. I do my pt exercises to keep the stengh but thats about it. Ms has a mind of its own. Ive given up trying to be the avtive person i was 2 years ago. i was hoping for a cure by now. Enjoy the weather ! Roxy
                            Yeah; hoping for a cure.

~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                            X