Clear All

The Goalposters exercise check-in 01-12-2023

The Goalposters exercise check-in 01-12-2023

Let's check in this week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Hi Everyone!

The past week went well for me. Again working on things that get neglected. Namely the hip flexor routines mentioned in last weeks thread.

Lifting both legs while sitting is impossible unfortunately. Have to admit 'leaning toward good side' effort, in a room full of mirrors, did bring a smile .... So the marching variation had more potential and I did the best I could.

More floor exercises, some with spa ball, were part of my week too. Getting up and down off the darn floor is part of the reason these exercise routines are avoided. Truthfully need more discipline, but pleased the mirrored wall has a bar! Very thoughtful!

Have noticed KoKo's comments about using other muscles to lift poor leg. So more attention is needed on isolating what remains of the hip flexor connection. And avoid looking like someone who twists and bends their body unnaturally in the above mentioned mirrors!

Still using UBE (upper body ergometer) to exercise my arms. Going for more ROM than strength, but there are variations allowing for resistance adjustments. Painful in general so 3 minutes clockwise, then 3 cc. Feels good when I stop...!

Important side note: Found a bottle of 10MG melanoma pills and received about 7+ hours Zzzz's last night!

Let's keep at it!

Comment

Made partial goals.

2 Silver sneakers classes.
      No PT at home.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi everyone!

I was able to achieve my exercise goals. A whole lot of effort needed!

It seems like I'm exerting max effort for most activities these days.

Upon awakening in the morning, do you ever think 'gosh, I wouldn't mind a vacation day or two' (from MS)?

But alas, we continue to trudge along the best we can, day after day.

My sister and brother-in-law are supposed to come and visit today, which will be nice.

I will keep the same exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X per day @ 20 - 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (10 each X2) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises (with varied # of reps)

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          The past week went well for me. Again working on things that get neglected. Namely the hip flexor routines mentioned in last weeks thread.

Lifting both legs while sitting is impossible unfortunately. Have to admit 'leaning toward good side' effort, in a room full of mirrors, did bring a smile .... So the marching variation had more potential and I did the best I could.
          Good for you, Jer! I don't exactly smile when I get a glimpse of myself walking.

Originally posted by 502E79
          More floor exercises, some with spa ball, were part of my week too. Getting up and down off the darn floor is part of the reason these exercise routines are avoided. Truthfully need more discipline, but pleased the mirrored wall has a bar! Very thoughtful!
          Still amazed that you can get up from the floor! I know how difficult that must be. Extra extra super effort!

Have noticed KoKo's comments about using other muscles to lift poor leg. So more attention is needed on isolating what remains of the hip flexor connection. And avoid looking like someone who twists and bends their body unnaturally in the above mentioned mirrors!
          That would be moi!

Still using UBE (upper body ergometer) to exercise my arms. Going for more ROM than strength, but there are variations allowing for resistance adjustments. Painful in general so 3 minutes clockwise, then 3 cc. Feels good when I stop...!
          I have never, ever found the act of 'resting' more thoroughly enjoyable than after effortful activity (since having MS). It's heavenly, like floating on a cloud!

Important side note: Found a bottle of 10MG melanoma pills and received about 7+ hours Zzzz's last night
          Wow! That's wonderful!
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Mamabug!

Glad to see that you made partial goal!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              Made partial goals.

2 Silver sneakers classes.
              No PT at home.

Do you still use the Fitbit, Mamabug? Congrats on the Silver Sneakers get-togethers.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                I don't exactly smile when I get a glimpse of myself walking.

Yeah, but you have to chuckle right?

Still amazed that you can get up from the floor!

It's all in the bar I mentioned... and a good left arm.

I have never, ever found the act of 'resting' more thoroughly enjoyable than after effortful activity (since having MS). It's heavenly, like floating on a cloud!
                ​​

Agree, but those Zzzz's that come with a nap aren't always available that same night? Even if I skip the nap. Go figure.

Enjoy the company you're expecting... sometimes having company gives me a good night's sleep after!

Hmm...could be the adult beverage too.

Comment

Hey Jer

Originally posted by KoKo
                  Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  Agree, but those Zzzz's that come with a nap aren't always available that same night? Even if I skip the nap. Go figure.
                  I wasn't talking about a nap, only the 'rest' (mainly just sitting) after walking, standing, or exercising.

I was responding to your 'Feels good when I stop' comment.

Painful in general so 3 minutes clockwise, then 3 cc. Feels good when I stop...!
                  Ya dig?

Comment

I wasn't talking about a nap, only the 'rest' (mainly just sitting) after walking, standing, or exercising.... was responding to your 'Feels good when I stop' comment.

For me KoKo, the 'rest' after exercise should extrapolate: exercise / rest / sleep.

The naps you recommended work well for me, but the evening sleep period is not effected. Exercise days equal a restless night.

The 'feels so good when I stop' comment (after a workout) comes from positive effects of using my body despite some pain. Oiling the joints... getting blood into it... a mental or cognitive 'lift'... etc, etc.

The increased ROM is the true blessing.

I understood your sitting after walking, standing, or exercising comment.

Comment

For me KoKo, the 'rest' after exercise should extrapolate: exercise / rest / sleep.

The naps you recommended work well for me, but the evening sleep period is not effected. Exercise days equal a restless night.

The 'feels so good when I stop' comment (after a workout) comes from positive effects of using my body despite some pain. Oiling the joints... getting blood into it... a mental or cognitive 'lift'... etc, etc.

The increased ROM is the true blessing.

I understood your sitting after walking, standing, or exercising comment.
                      Got it, Jer. Thank you for elaborating on your experiences with exercising, the rewards of your efforts, and nap taking.

PS - I love it when other people understand what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                      X