• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check In 06-23-2022

3 checked in last week.
    2 made partial goals.
    1 made goals.

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I did better this week, but I'm still going to call it a partial goal, mostly because I only did PT strength training one time.

It is such a simple thing, takes only a few minutes. But, it really makes a difference in my numbers on the Biotracker scale, so there is a good reason to do it for frequently, and no good reason not to. Also, I only did Silver Sneakers 1x. My usual goal for that is two times, and, normally, I'd be okay with that since I also did bike riding, but, I'm just not really where I want to be, and, that's what a goal is, I guess.

But I do feel like I'm back heading in the right direction. And, holding myself accountable by declaring this only a partial goal might help me to do better next week.

PT at home, 1x
    Silver Sneakers, 1x
    Bike riding with hubby (and daughter and grandsons). Again, my tricycle was pulled by hubby's ebike, and I only pedalled when I had energy. Probably about a five mile ride (with a stop at Wendy's for supper in the middle).

Average steps per day: 1441
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      ...But I do feel like I'm back heading in the right direction. And, holding myself accountable by declaring this only a partial goal might help me to do better next week.

PT at home, 1x
      Silver Sneakers, 1x
      Bike riding with hubby (and daughter and grandsons). Again, my tricycle was pulled by hubby's ebike, and I only pedalled when I had energy. Probably about a five mile ride (with a stop at Wendy's for supper in the middle).

Average steps per day: 1441

Hey Mamabug! My week isn't over yet but wanted to say I like the way you are looking at things.

If you believe next weeks motivation will be improved by calling a partial this week... that's character building too!

I think it is the nature of MS to mix everything up! If we know ourselves well enough, we get to decide; give ourselves licence to ease off or attempt a bit more. Learning when and when not to pays a dividend.... Like your step count too.

Comment

Hello Mamabug!

Your family bike outing sounds wonderful!

The right direction is where I'm heading also.

I was very close to goals achieved but was shy with some of my leg and back exercises.

Will give better effort next week (that's my plan anyways ).

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 4X per day @ 20 min each+ Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

I was very close to goals achieved but was shy with some of my leg and back exercises.

Will give better effort next week (that's my plan anyways ).

Good show KoKo! Maintaining your own disciplines, along with OT / PT exercises is admirable. Sounds a bit like Mamabug's pragmatic approach to MS.

Good luck with this upcoming week.

Regarding last week's post about drop-foot and contraction state. My muscles, etc. appear loose but at night my drop-foot will never remain at 90°. This is the reason I exercise calf, try to avoid swing leg (as a part of my natural gait) and rely on an orthotic when out socially. I will look into devises available to maintain 90°....

Goals made! A near duplicate of last week including pool time. Only exception was a switch of a floor exercise into a pool routine.

The water makes it harder yet somehow easier? Can't really explain but will try it this way for a few weeks and then see if any improvement is noticeable on hardwood.

Stretching same, pretty good but only added rocker (foot-drop) once. Seems like I need to trip over the thing before I remember to use it!

Had two days of maybe 6-7 hours+ of sleep (including naps after gym here). Otherwise, 5 hours at best. Should respond to the insomnia thread....!?

Let's keep at it.

Comment

Hey there Jer!

Looks like you had a fantastic week of exercise, including stretching and some pool time!

Good to know that you don't have contracture due to the foot drop.

There are many options for nighttime foot drop correction.

Some are comfortable, some are not. Look at plantar fasciitis aids too, as most of them are also for foot drop.

Regarding your sleep, some people naturally feel refreshed with less than '8 hours' of sleep.

Although the science on sleep seems to indicate that we do need at least 7 hours for best health.

Good luck with finding ways to improve your sleep times.

I can really feel the difference in my functioning when I don't get proper nighttime sleep.

I am now a napper out of necessity, on days when my previous night's sleep has been insufficient.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
            X