X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise CheckIn Thread 04/21/2022

3 checked in last week.

3 made goals.

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made my goals.

Silver sneakers 1x
    PT at home 2x legs 1x arms
    Two sets of 10 air squats. 4x

I'm still trying to remember to do air squats more frequently. They are quick and easy, but likely still have some benefit.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Made my goals.

Silver sneakers 1x
      PT at home 2x legs 1x arms
      Two sets of 10 air squats. 4x

I'm still trying to remember to do air squats more frequently. They are quick and easy, but likely still have some benefit.

Looks like a pretty good report card MamaBug! Any steps?

I remembered something similar to the Air Squats you mentioned, and this week tried a set. Worked out pretty well and added to a good week.

This was the third full week with just the standard spastic pain, and that may be milder (?) Unsure but....

Need to add this comment. Spend more time patiently holding a pose in your stretching routines. Yeah it can be painful and if you haven't incorporated stretching much or at all, ignore this advice. Check with your GP first.

Aside from the stretching, I have added a bit more resistance to all upper body work while maintaining as much ROM as my bad side will give me. So far, so good.

Still working legs but light intensity. 3 days at gym, with legs in each session. Insert a smile here.

Still avoiding pool work. This bothers me. It is a great pool and there are not many people. If I have any excuse it might be that Open pool sessions are early / mid morning or later in day. My window of physical or mental willingness sits stubbornly smack in the middle.

Ahhhh, Let's keep at it.

Side note.... Put a rocking chair on the balcony. Enjoyed the weather & view... and a small bourbon/rocks. Life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Looks like a pretty good report card MamaBug! Any steps?

I remembered something similar to the Air Squats you mentioned, and this week tried a set. Worked out pretty well and added to a good week.
        Thanks for asking. Forgot to post. Average 1366 steps per day.

Glad the air squats idea can be useful.

~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hey everyone!

Great work with your exercises last week Mamabug and Jer!

Short report this week from me.

Achieved my goals, although except for the ab crunches, I was kind of stingy with the other exercise reps this week.

My walking is still ok in the early part of the day, and still atrocious in the afternoon.

I was so hoping that the anti-spasticity drug would solve that, but no such luck, even with the 2 mg dose.

The issue must not be spasticity, I guess. Extra poor signaling at that time of the day, for whatever reason (even after good naps).

I'm still going to continue to try for a solution. I don't give up easily!

I will stick with the current exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 4X per day @ 30 min each+ Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            Thanks for asking. Forgot to post. Average 1366 steps per day.

Glad the air squats idea can be useful.

Pretty good number Mamabug, even better with all the other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

My walking is still ok in the early part of the day, and still atrocious in the afternoon.

I was so hoping that the anti-spasticity drug would solve that, but no such luck, even with the 2 mg dose.

The issue must not be spasticity, I guess. Extra poor signaling at that time of the day, for whatever reason (even after good naps).

I'm still going to continue to try for a solution. I don't give up easily!

What stands out to me is your comment "The issue must not be spasticity, I guess."

I have always worried about muscle loss when an explanation doesn't jump out but that isn't entirely correct either. Lately I have pushed my upper body with a bit more resistance and ROM (stretching). The result appears to be positive, no drawback over a month now.

This hasn't been the same for lower body. I make the analogy of tuning into a station on an analogue radio. Static (poor signal) for whatever reason, interferes. For me or maybe all of us, the static isn't forever, the body heals or finds another way (IMO).

So; "I'm still going to continue to try for a solution. I don't give up easily!" YES!

Let's keep at it!

Comment

Spend more time patiently holding a pose in your stretching routines. Yeah it can be painful and if you haven't incorporated stretching much or at all, ignore this advice. Check with your GP first.
                Hey Jer!

In one of his videos, if I'm remembering correctly, MS doctor Aaron Boster says to hold a stretch for at least 40 seconds and not much longer than 60 seconds.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

What stands out to me is your comment "The issue must not be spasticity, I guess."

I have always worried about muscle loss when an explanation doesn't jump out but that isn't entirely correct either. Lately I have pushed my upper body with a bit more resistance and ROM (stretching). The result appears to be positive, no drawback over a month now.

This hasn't been the same for lower body. I make the analogy of tuning into a station on an analogue radio. Static (poor signal) for whatever reason, interferes. For me or maybe all of us, the static isn't forever, the body heals or finds another way (IMO).

So; "I'm still going to continue to try for a solution. I don't give up easily!" YES!

Let's keep at it!
                  Thanks for terrific feedback, Jer!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    ...MS doctor Aaron Boster says to hold a stretch for at least 40 seconds and not much longer than 60 seconds.

Thanks KoKo, This explains why finding a nice stretch that feels so relaxed in bed, followed by sleep, can be extremely horrible when pain awakens you 10 minutes later.

I shoot for a sincere minute with all poses lately. Glad to hear an MS doc's 2 cents. .... Didn't there use to be a cent sign on a keyboard or am I back in the 20th century?

Comment

Working...
                    X