X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-In Thread 04-07-2022

3 checked in last week.
    3 made goals.

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals.

Average steps 1202 per day. (Just barely made my goal of 1200)
    PT at home; strength training 3x.
    Air squats 2x. (This just takes 10 seconds each time. I'd like to try to remember to do them every day, maybe even every time I use the bathroom.)
    Silver Sneakers 1x.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Made goals.

Average steps 1202 per day. (Just barely made my goal of 1200)
      PT at home; strength training 3x.
      Air squats 2x. (This just takes 10 seconds each time. I'd like to try to remember to do them every day, maybe even every time I use the bathroom.)
      Silver Sneakers 1x.
      Super exercise week, Mamabug!

Again, what a nice mix of workouts for your entire body.

Could you describe an air squat? Thanks!
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello everyone

Hope you're having a nice enough week to keep a positive attitude.

I had to give myself a little attitude adjustment yesterday.

My week was very trying physically, (although I did achieve my exercise goals, thankfully).

And just when I thought that nervous tension was a thing of the past, my old nemesis anxiety has been showing up lately! Got to keep working on it.

Been taking Tizanidine 1 mg every 6 hours (rather than 2 mg every 8 hours).

Not sure that 1 mg is enough, or maybe spasticity isn't the main issue.

Perhaps it's just that my nerve signals are getting slower and weaker as I progress, causing more effort needed to walk.

Anyways, PT came on Wednesday. Thankfully he is trained for neurological deficits and MS.

He's pleased with the exercises that I'm doing. He's looking into a new AFO for me. He's coming back in 2 weeks to work on a few things with me.

Well, I'll keep the same exercise goals, and step up my anti-anxiety program (and focus on the positives in my life).

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 4X per day @ 30 min each+ Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Air squat

https://youtu.be/R0vJBTrzLac
          Mine are modified somewhat.
          - I hang on to the sink instead of holding my arms straight out.
          - And I don't go down so low.

I just do ten at a time. Increasing the frequency would be good for me, if I remember to do them.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Air squat

https://youtu.be/R0vJBTrzLac
            Mine are modified somewhat.
            - I hang on to the sink instead of holding my arms straight out.
            - And I don't go down so low.

I just do ten at a time. Increasing the frequency would be good for me, if I remember to do them.
            Modified squats would still be quite beneficial.

Thanks for the video, Mamabug.

Comment

Both of you had pretty good weeks! Mamabug: 1200 may not be 1300 but still counts and KoKo: have to say that anxiety will show up uninvited for as long as we live, I think the trick is to anticipate as best as we can. Takes the edge off.

Partial week as to routines. Did everything, just a bit less... had to apply "spoon theory" on Thursday & Friday. Spring maintenance for all apartment HVAC and a dental appointment ate time and energy. Also a trip to Parish for Reconcillation.

Must admit to forgetting stretch routine one day.

Overall no new pain, just continued tightness. Spasticity in good leg now a part of my life. Did more walking... kind of funny being passed in the hallways by EVERYBODY, but they are encouraging!

Sometimes I take different routes practicing walking without swinging my drop-foot leg. I can do alright, maybe 200 strides, but as stated, slow.

That's about all, let's keep at it!

Oh! Mamabug

You mentioned in another post regarding the "Like" feature..."In the bottom, right hand corner of Kathy's post, you should see a Quote, and a Flag and a Like. Just click on the word Like.

The only thing appearing in any dialog post box, in any thread, is an icon that looks like a quotation mark followed by the word Quote. No flag icon, no word Like.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                KoKo: have to say that anxiety will show up uninvited for as long as we live, I think the trick is to anticipate as best as we can. Takes the edge off.
                Good point, Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79
                Partial week as to routines. Did everything, just a bit less... had to apply "spoon theory" on Thursday & Friday. Spring maintenance for all apartment HVAC and a dental appointment ate time and energy. Also a trip to Parish for Reconcillation.
                Good for you, as you still did some exercises during a week with multiple distractions.

Overall no new pain, just continued tightness. Spasticity in good leg now a part of my life. Did more walking... kind of funny being passed in the hallways by EVERYBODY, but they are encouraging!
                I give you credit for being able to focus on your walking with people talking to you! I lose my rhythm so darn easily while zoned in on walking.

Sometimes I take different routes practicing walking without swinging my drop-foot leg. I can do alright, maybe 200 strides, but as stated, slow.
                Are you saying that instead of swinging your leg, you can move it with 'normal' stepping? That's wonderful!

That's about all, let's keep at it!
                Affirmative!

Comment

Oh! Mamabug

The only thing appearing in any dialog post box, in any thread, is an icon that looks like a quotation mark followed by the word Quote. No flag icon, no word Like.
                  oh. Maybe it only shows that way for MSworld staff. ??
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    Are you saying that instead of swinging your leg, you can move it with 'normal' stepping? That's wonderful!

'Normal' requires definition. The answer is yes but as you point out, full concentration, therefore I often choose "the road less traveled".

I use a lift in my Chuck Taylor high-tops to make my drop foot leg closer in length to my better leg. The key may be in shortening my stride. It isn't a shuffle but the steps are maybe i/3 or even 1/2 of a normal stride. Think "old person." The result is closer to a normal gate with little noticeable swing.

I try to keep my eyes up and not down, letting my poor leg establish the pace and the short stride. Controlling better leg as to stride is another key. If I look straight ahead and not down, the visual doesn't interfere and concentration focus is on lifting poor leg and placement.

Fatigue screws the pooch as does any attempt at 'multitasking.

Comment

oh. Maybe it only shows that way for MSworld staff. ??

No problem. Acknowledgement of a well crafted comment should be more than a click anyhow. MHO

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

No problem. Acknowledgement of a well crafted comment should be more than a click anyhow. MHO
                        Unless the person's only useable hand is too weak and totally numb at that time to type a comment.

Comment

Unless the person's only useable hand is too weak and totally numb at that time to type a comment.

You are right KoKo!

Related... I have been told I can talk / type, but haven't yet!

Comment

Describing my hand at times!

Comment

Working...
                            X