The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 10-14-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 10-14-2021

5 checked in last week. Great to hear from everyone!

2 didn't make goals.
    2 made goals
    1 didn't set goals.

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals.

Goals I had set:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day.

Goals I accomplished:
    - Exercised 4x. Silver Sneakers 1x. Senior Balance 1x. Riding bike with hubby 2x.
    - PT at home 2x
    - Average steps per day: 1139. I wear my Garmin on my arm and it does not have a mileage tracker so it tracks only arm movements and not leg movements. So, because it doesn't record bike riding, my total would be high enough.

Next week's goals:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day. If i do better, it's a bonus.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hey Mamabug!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Made goals.

Goals I accomplished:
      - Exercised 4x. Silver Sneakers 1x. Senior Balance 1x. Riding bike with hubby 2x.
      - PT at home 2x
      - Average steps per day: 1139. I wear my Garmin on my arm and it does not have a mileage tracker so it tracks only arm movements and not leg movements. So, because it doesn't record bike riding, my total would be high enough.
      Terrific job on achieving your exercise goals, Mamabug!

Good for you (and hubby) to get in some bike riding before 'you know what' arrives (snow, ice, cold).

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello everyone!

I achieved my exercise goals too. Did a tad bit more walking than usual, so maybe a little extra credit.

Daily activities went ok, and walking fluctuated from slow on some days, and extra slow at other times. Still, I'll take slow walking over no walking, any time.

Been taking inventory of my sleep hygiene. Although I sleep good when I do sleep, I think I need more of it.

We do need a good amount of sleep for restoration and repair, especially in the nervous system.

I've never been a successful nap taker, as it always made me feel groggy afterwards. But now, if I feel sleepy tired during the day, I'll try to take a short nap. Hopefully this won't mess up my night sleep.

I have noticed that when I 'let' myself sleep longer in the morning (I'm a very early riser), I seem to function better.

Maybe I just need to sleep later, which won't be an easy habit for me to get into.

Anyways....I'm going to stick with my current exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.​
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Nice work both of you!
          I did not reach my goal nor did I try. Lazy week... no excuses.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Wow Mamabug! Showin' us how its done. Gold star for you (give hubby one for the road too).

Seasha, next week or we're gonna have a talk.

And KoKo, I could have written the sleep comment section of your post except for the early riser part. I had two nights since last week where I bested 5 hours (a great night for me!). In general I'm under 5 and have been for a pretty long time. And I too avoid naps hoping that I'll get an honest night's sleep. Not so kimosabe.

My partial week: 2 gym sessions total 3+ hours. Covered upper / lower body and core (good) + a couple of machines I shy away from. 4 days stretching total 100 minutes. 2 weeks now missing a stretch session.

Discovered or better stated, realized once again that standing, simply standing, has become exercise. Had friends helping out a few times this week getting better prepared for movers, so there was some point at this or that, turn around, step and repeat. All tolled up; maybe 90 minutes on my feet. They did ALL the work, I felt like I did and would sleep for a week. Chorus this time... Not so kimosabe.

Something I'm getting out of all this is the "activities of daily living" thing. May not be doing a lot of machine / weight work but much more walking / standing / bending / turning / thinking (yeah, I'm counting thinking!) as opposed to the "gym rat in a maze" approach. I like that part but not happy with the realization that things are somewhat dire.

Guess my friend was right when she said you'll know when it's time.

Let's keep at it! Hey Mike, good to hear from you & know you'll be back soon. It's all attitude.

Comment

Hello Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              In general I'm under 5 and have been for a pretty long time.

Me too, kimosabe!

My partial week: 2 gym sessions total 3+ hours. Covered upper / lower body and core (good) + a couple of machines I shy away from. 4 days stretching total 100 minutes. 2 weeks now missing a stretch session.

Still commendable, with everything else that you have going on. A for effort!

Discovered or better stated, realized once again that standing, simply standing, has become exercise. Had friends helping out a few times this week getting better prepared for movers, so there was some point at this or that, turn around, step and repeat. All tolled up; maybe 90 minutes on my feet.

For us, standing for a length of time is considered a form of exercise. It takes beaucoup physical energy and mental focus. I have walk/stand, several times a day for at least 30 min each time, as an exercise goal. For me, it is truly physical exertion.

Something I'm getting out of all this is the "activities of daily living" thing. May not be doing a lot of machine / weight work but much more walking / standing / bending / turning / thinking (yeah, I'm counting thinking!) as opposed to the "gym rat in a maze" approach. I like that part but not happy with the realization that things are somewhat dire.

Physical activity, in accordance with our individual abilities, (without overexerting our limited energy) is the name of the game!

Comment

In general I'm under 5 and have been for a pretty long time.

Yes KoKo, kindred spirits! but kindred zzzzzz's would be the ticket

Still commendable, with everything else that you have going on. A for effort!

Thank you!

For us, standing for a length of time is considered a form of exercise. It takes beaucoup physical energy and mental focus. I have walk/stand, several times a day for at least 30 min each time, as an exercise goal. For me, it is truly physical exertion.

I feel it in my hips... thinking that right side is so weak that pelvic area bends/twists and along with curvature in spine, leads to discomfort. Like the "beaucoup" BTW, jeune fille.

Physical activity, in accordance with our individual abilities, (without overexerting our limited energy) is the name of the game!

Yes movement... any way at all. Mix it up, even if it is just in the order of execution, try to add a little something now and again... Thinking of Seasha's getting up & down from kneeling in the garden.

This coming week(s) are catch as catch can. I'm at everyone's mercy as to schedule but will try to pace myself. When the game changes from routine gym visits to varied days with who knows what coming up... well that challenges me (us?) and with the right attitude we continue or keep at it!

Comment

Jeune fille - golly-gee, thank you Jer!

This coming week(s) are catch as catch can. I'm at everyone's mercy as to schedule but will try to pace myself. When the game changes from routine gym visits to varied days with who knows what coming up... well that challenges me (us?) and with the right attitude we continue or keep at it!

A lot of prayer and self-talk / self-encouragement may be required. Good luck - you can do it, Jer!

Comment

Working...
                  X