X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in for 09-30-2021

4 checked in last week.

4 made goals

​​​​​​Exercisers: Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Only made partial goals.

Goals I had set:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day.

Goals I accomplished:
    - Exercised 1x. 1 Silver Sneakers. I had a schedule conflict one day, and a busy day a different day and decided not to go. I should have substituted something at home but i didn't.
    - PT at home 2x
    - Average steps per day: 1212.

Next week's goals:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day. If i do better, it's a bonus.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mamabug;n510500]Only made partial goals.

Nevertheless, you did great, Mamabug!

My activities this week were spent in my kitchen as it rained most days. I dried Asian pears from our tree and made pear/apple juice (1/2 gal), made batches of salsa from garden tomatoes, froze some veggies and made blueberry jam from our bushes that I had frozen earlier. Oh and don;t forget the clean up each day.

All this is not really considered exercise as I mostly stood on my feet with many breaks in between, but it was gratifying having done the work and grateful that I had the energy to do it. I did stretches and some yoga floor poses each night.

1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi everyone!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        Goals I accomplished:
        - Exercised 1x. 1 Silver Sneakers. I had a schedule conflict one day, and a busy day a different day and decided not to go. I should have substituted something at home but i didn't.
        - PT at home 2x
        - Average steps per day: 1212.
        Mamabug ~ Great effort, and you made your steps! You're still on track!

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I dried Asian pears from our tree and made pear/apple juice (1/2 gal), made batches of salsa from garden tomatoes, froze some veggies and made blueberry jam from our bushes that I had frozen earlier. Oh and don;t forget the clean up each day.
        Seasha ~ Still amazed at all that you accomplish! To me, you sure did a lot!

~~~ I accomplished my exercise goals, and they went well.

When it comes to stretching, I'm realizing more and more that back stretches have become super beneficial for me.

Not only do they help with my ability to perform daily activities, but keeping my back loosened up also helps with my walking ability as well.

For me, stretching yields immediate results. I suppose that is the reason I stretch often, throughout the day.

I could even say that I 'have to' stretch often, in order to move around to the best of my ability.

I don't use Baclofen or Zanaflex, as they bring on weakness in my muscles, and I need all my strength at this point.

Anyways, I had a nice week - nothing to complain about, no predicaments to wriggle out of. Very grateful.

Sticking with the same exercise goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.​
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Sorry I'm a bit late to the groups weekly assessment.

Appears ALL had good results this week. I'm with KoKo as to Seasha's kitchen wizardry... I'm happy when I keep the kitchen clean! To be able to enjoy the blueberry jam in February... lagniappe! (just for you Boudreaux)

And I also agree with KoKo's thoughts on stretching although my orthotic (lift in shorter right leg) plays a part, keeping the back loose (decline bench) and core strong allows for a bit better alignment of the pelvis.... translation: better walking. Still doesn't look very good but without the effort I make, I know things would be a lot worse.

Mamabug! You too are making the effort so keep at it. When I read about steps I know I will soon get some PED that will give me a better idea when I am not on cardio equipment.

A very good week here although specific goals were not set, I made time or had enough discipline to accomplish exercise and routines (about 8 hours total over 5 days). Only missed a using few pieces of equipment (repair work to cushions).

The highlight was stretching... best 5 days in a row that I can remember in a very long time. Core was also successful. My 60 reps on decline bench was usually 3-10s, then 5 reps each till 60. Lately it is 5-10s, 2-5s!

Side notes played a part: House passed inspection including Radon leaving what my Realtor calls minor details. And the CCRC place appears on schedule as I type.

There are times I wonder whether the exercise feeds my daily life or vice versa?

Comment

Hello Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            A very good week here although specific goals were not set, I made time or had enough discipline to accomplish exercise and routines (about 8 hours total over 5 days). Only missed a using few pieces of equipment (repair work to cushions).

The highlight was stretching... best 5 days in a row that I can remember in a very long time. Core was also successful. My 60 reps on decline bench was usually 3-10s, then 5 reps each till 60. Lately it is 5-10s, 2-5s!

Terrific to see that you had a very good week! Most welcome, I'm sure, with all of your house stuff to deal with.

Side notes played a part: House passed inspection including Radon leaving what my Realtor calls minor details. And the CCRC place appears on schedule as I type.

Wonderful!

There are times I wonder whether the exercise feeds my daily life or vice versa?

I'm thinking that, at various times, each takes a turn at nourishing the other.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Glad to hear you both had a good week, KoKo and Jer!

Stretching is so important for everyone, especially for those living with MS. Here is a pdf file (pamphlet) from the NMSS with illustrations of exercises that I found very useful. I'm inspired to start using more of these!

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Na...le-with-MS.pdf

Comment

Excellent info Seasha. Thank you!

I was glad to see that the trunk and hip exercises that I do were included.

Also, I went ahead and added the link to the Exercise Tips for MS sticky.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                  Excellent info Seasha. Thank you!

I was glad to see that the trunk and hip exercises that I do were included.

Also, I went ahead and added the link to the Exercise Tips for MS sticky.
                  Thanks KoKo!

Comment

Working...
                  X