X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goaliposters exercise check in thread 07-01-2021

5 checked in last week.

3 made goals.
    1 made partial goals, but feels OK anyways, about how exercise went.
    1 not setting goals. Thanks for checking in anyways!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals.

Goals I had set:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day.

Goals I accomplished: - Exercised 3x. 2 Silver Sneakers. 1x Senior Balance.
    PT at home 2x
    - Average steps per day: 1276.

Next week's goals:
    - Exercise 3x (group exercise, or something else active)
    - PT at home once or twice
    - Average in the range of 1200-1500 steps per day. If i do better, it's a bonus.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I guess I haven't mentioned that I've discontinued doing any exercise with my personal trainer neighbor. It was not unusual for her to set a day and time and simply not show up. I talked with her a number of times about how that creates stress for me; since MS, "normal" stressors just seem more challenging for me to deal with.

She always vowed to do better, but things didn't change. I just told her that it wasn't working for me.
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Hello everyone!

Mamabug ~ Excellent exercise week for you with achieving your goals! You are in your desired step range too! Bravo!

~~ I achieved my exercise goals as well. Grateful to have good A/C during the oppressive heat.

I've had some improvements in the duration and intensity of anxiety occurrences. Breathing technique, prayer, and meditation are the tools that I've been using.

My walking has not been the best lately. A little slower, and more laborious.

For awhile, at least, I'm going to modify my 'up on feet light activity (walk/stand)' to 5X a day @ 30 min each, rather than the 6X a day.

Sit-to-stand is going much better. There are those times, though, when rising from the sitting position is more difficult - usually during the afternoon hours.

Mornings and evenings are my best times, for reasons that are not entirely clear to me.

I'm guessing here, but since there is a natural rise in core body temp in the afternoon, my difficulty during that time may be due to the weakness that comes with my heat sensitivity.

Same goals for next week, with the one modification.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage.https://www.msworld.org/forum/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
        Last edited by KoKo; 07-03-2021, 10:27 AM.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Glad you both made goals Mamabug and KoKo! Excellent!

KoKo - I'm amazed that you can walk/stand 5x/day for 30 min each. I have a hard time walking for that length of time myself without having to rest/sit. So, bravo for you!

I didn't make any goals with our record breaking heat here. 30 degrees cooler now, but still low 80's (No AC) My goal for next week is at least 4x and definitely getting exercise in the cooler mornings.

Best of luck to all!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

KoKo - I'm amazed that you can walk/stand 5x/day for 30 min each. I have a hard time walking for that length of time myself without having to rest/sit. So, bravo for you!
            I walk very slowly, and stop/stand several times. So the 30 minutes goes by in a flash!

Included in the 5X @ 30 min of walk/stand are my ADL's (activities of daily living), such as AM routine, getting my meals, light chores, PM routine.
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              I guess I haven't mentioned that I've discontinued doing any exercise with my personal trainer neighbor. It was not unusual for her to set a day and time and simply not show up. I talked with her a number of times about how that creates stress for me; since MS, "normal" stressors just seem more challenging for me to deal with.

She always vowed to do better, but things didn't change. I just told her that it wasn't working for me.
              First congratulations on a good week Mamabug, you are on the course you set... a round of applause please!

Second I understand your comment about not showing up.... My trainer would often have no shows. How anyone could set up a time and just not show or call amazes me.

Guess it is why doctors, dentist etc. now charge a fee for this behavior. And the stress / letdown when the situation is reversed is actually worse than simply failing to exercise at all. Keep at it Mamabug you are seeing things clearly but to dwell on it is to give this "trainer" the victory.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                My walking has not been the best lately. A little slower, and more laborious.

For awhile, at least, I'm going to modify my 'up on feet light activity (walk/stand)' to 5X a day @ 30 min each, rather than the 6X a day.

Sit-to-stand is going much better. There are those times, though, when rising from the sitting position is more difficult - usually during the afternoon hours.

Same goals for next week, with the one modification.
                Hi KoKo, probably a smart move, the small cut back in activity, see where it leads, reevaluate in a month or so.

Glad the sit-to-stand is better, although I cannot grasp why one time of the day isn't consistently better or worse than another time. The old but true "short-circuit" theory returns once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  I didn't make any goals with our record breaking heat here.
                  Hi Seasha! This line describes my week although I had plans to do more. We had the heat issue but the gym AC system was down on top of it. I had a lot of other things to attend to so... c'est la vie. Is this correct K?

My week consisted of one hour at gym on Monday before I said enough. Did have 5 30 minutes sessions daily stretching at home which went well.

What I noticed with this time off came these last two nights.... 7-8 hours of zzz's each night. True pleasure. Long time coming.

The severe humid conditions ended by Thursday, but muscle relaxation may be a part of it too? Yet another mystery.

Let's keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    Glad the sit-to-stand is better, although I cannot grasp why one time of the day isn't consistently better or worse than another time. The old but true "short-circuit" theory returns once again.
                    Hey Jer!

I guess I didn't describe this very well when I posted. I hope this makes more sense!

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

Mornings and evenings are my best times, for reasons that are not entirely clear to me.

I'm guessing here, but since there is a natural rise in core body temp in the afternoon, my difficulty during that time may be due to the weakness that comes with my heat sensitivity.

Comment

Hi Jer!

I somehow missed your report earlier, sorry. C'est la vie.

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                      My week consisted of one hour at gym on Monday before I said enough. Did have 5 30 minutes sessions daily stretching at home which went well.

What I noticed with this time off came these last two nights.... 7-8 hours of zzz's each night. True pleasure. Long time coming.

The severe humid conditions ended by Thursday, but muscle relaxation may be a part of it too? Yet another mystery.

Let's keep at it.
                      Good for you getting your stretching done.

Sure hope your gym A/C is up and running this week.

Your workouts are pretty strenuous, so your having to take a break most likely gave your body some extra good rest and recovery time.

Sound,, restorative sleep! Yes!

Comment

Great job everyone. Hope you guys get some relief from the heat soon. Keep it going.
                        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                          Great job everyone. Hope you guys get some relief from the heat soon. Keep it going.
                          Thanks Boudreaux!

There is welcome relief from the heat here in northwestern Ohio, for a good week, at least.

Hope things are going well for you, in your busy world, Boudreaux!

Comment

Working...
                          X