• Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 03-04-2021

5 checked in last week.

2 made goals.
    2 made partial goals.
    1 didn't make goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I made goals. 3 days of PT.

Avg steps per day. 1,233.
    Next week's goals:
    -3 days of exercise.
    - Increase number of average steps. My goal used to be 2,000 per day. I'll just work my way back up gradually.

Perhaps, after I can get vaccinated, I might resume group exercise at the Rec Center (Silver Sneakers) and the Senior Center (Chair Yoga and Strong Seniors).
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Exercise vs Movement?

It feels like it has not been that long since we have changed the title of our weekly thread from Exercise Check In to The Goalposters Exercise Check In.

One MSWorld member recently commented on the emphasis on "extensive exercise" that MSWorld has. I had to laugh and tried to correct the incorrect assumption of how "extensive" our exercise is.

Yet, perhaps we should change our name slightly again.

How about: The Goalposters Movement Check In. Or do you have other suggestions? We should keep it simple and make it clear. And, probably not change it much.

Does that convey what we do more clearly? Or, should we simply leave it as is?
      I'm very comfortable with our small, little group. It feels like one of my "safe places" to come every week. But, I wonder if our low participation rate also reflects that our membership, in general, doesn't consider consistent, intentional movement to be important in maintaining our health and our mobility.

I wonder if our title scares people off? If they believe that we are exercise fanatics, and not just regular people struggling with MS and trying to keep moving so that we slow our progression? I know that, way, way back, the thread used to be titled WiFit Exercise Thread. That scared me off because I didn't have a WiiFit and I thought exercise needed to be very structured. Maybe even my sentence, in the above paragraph, about our movement being "intentional" could scare some people off. Hey, we're not scary. We're just trying.

If this is the case, it saddens me.
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I, too, wish that more would join us, Mamabug! I'm happy to hear you are increasing your steps.

Just my opinion, but we might want to change the title back to Exercise Checkin?? People may not likely want to set goals and be accountable to maintain them. Not that we all do, by any means! Some of us in the group say they like being held accountable, but it's not lacking/slacking by any means if we don't. I like the fact that we cheer one another on and do what we can when we can.

Anyway, I had a better week.
        I vacuumed the kitchen floor and mopped on hands and knees - easier for me to do!
        Walked with trekking poles - 410 steps
        Cleaned up one flower bed on a rare sunny day.
        Child sat 1x/ 3 hours.

Hoping we get more participation in the future!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

so good to see you moving around Mamabug and reporting in. As far as the thread name or group name, I see nothing wrong with the current title. Movement, exercise, anti-stationary report....matters not to me, just glad you guys are showing up.

Glad you were able to make some things happen this week Seasha and try to stay on top of those weeds, tis the season.

My week was eventful....but family duties keep me from my movement goals.

2 nights of Jiu Jitsu....Only made 1 night.
          2 runs at 3 miles each......done
          My stretching has been lacking, I just haven't been getting it done.
          and no 5 x 50 either.

Weather's been nice and we should be in for some beautiful days down here....keep it going.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Hi everyone!

Regarding the title Goalposters, it is derived from Mamabug's weekly intro post:

Originally posted by Mamabug

For new Exercisers:
            Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week.
            That doesn't sound scary to me.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              I made goals. 3 days of PT.

Avg steps per day. 1,233.
              Next week's goals:
              -3 days of exercise.
              - Increase number of average steps. My goal used to be 2,000 per day. I'll just work my way back up gradually.
              Looks terrific, Mamabug!

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              Perhaps, after I can get vaccinated, I might resume group exercise at the Rec Center (Silver Sneakers) and the Senior Center (Chair Yoga and Strong Seniors).
              That would be fantastic. I know you really enjoyed going out to the centers.

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

Anyway, I had a better week.
                I vacuumed the kitchen floor and mopped on hands and knees - easier for me to do!
                Walked with trekking poles - 410 steps
                Cleaned up one flower bed on a rare sunny day.
                Child sat 1x/ 3 hours.
                Great to hear that you had a better week, Seasha!

You certainly were active!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

My week was eventful....but family duties keep me from my movement goals.

2 nights of Jiu Jitsu....Only made 1 night.
                  2 runs at 3 miles each......done
                  You made an effort, Boudreaux. Maybe next week won't be so busy for you.

Good luck!

Comment

Hi everyone!

Late to the party but happy to report a good week.

First: Congratulations to Seasha, and an extra star to Mamabug for stepping upI And Boudreaux... I made the stretching effort this week but results were not the best. Maybe next week. Hey KoKo.... you didn't mention your week... Busy lady?

I made my goals! Some things had fair results (the above mentioned stretching routines) but made 3 trips to the gym, near 300 minutes? over the week. Did 5 miles + on various cardio equipment. And a mix of strength exercises for arms, legs and core each visit. Next week I have to focus on the stuff I hate .

As far as the thread name goes, I admire Mamabug and her efforts to grow the thread & increase participation. Also think that anyone who visits (reads) the thread knows us well by now. And many read it!

I see no need to change name but if extensive (?) exercise scares people maybe a PC version would be Goal Posters Activity Check-in.

I count Seasha's babysitting, even KoKo's language lessions as exercise (activity) simply because they engage us. MSW knows our social and mental facilities need exercise too. As Mike said, keep it going!

Comment

Hello everyone!

Hey there Jer!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                      I made my goals! Some things had fair results (the above mentioned stretching routines) but made 3 trips to the gym, near 300 minutes? over the week. Did 5 miles + on various cardio equipment. And a mix of strength exercises for arms, legs and core each visit. Next week I have to focus on the stuff I hate .
                      Magnifique! Glad for you Jer! Nice, balanced mix of workouts!

Good luck with your least favorite exercises next week.

~ I had another good week overall, and accomplished my exercise goals as well.

I'm really pleased that I can see positive results from stretching regularly. Nothing earth shattering, but looser limbs are definitely easier to move around. This in turn saves some of my motor energy. Every little bit helps.

I'm sticking with the current goals for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

May we be calm, patient, strong, and of good courage. https://www.msworld.org/forum/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Comment

Working...
                      X