• Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 01-15-2021

5 checked in last week.

3 made goals.
    1 made partial goals..
    1 made modified goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last we
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I think I'm going to need to say that I'm unable to report this week.

I've been having a number of medical issues; one is an infection on one of my legs that is affecting my ability to exercise. I went to my PCP physician twice this week; I guess that could count as some extra steps. And, I have an appointment with my functional medicine doctor scheduled for Monday.

I won't set an exercise goal for next week; I'm just not sure what I'm able to do until my infection clears up.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      I think I'm going to need to say that I'm unable to report this week....I won't set an exercise goal for next week; I'm just not sure what I'm able to do until my infection clears up.
      Hi Faith,

Just caught your note and wanted to wish you a healthy week. Seems like everything takes longer with MS, even infections clearing up.
      Today is my last "at gym" day and will report the week later. Hang in there Faith!

Jer

Comment

Really sorry to hear about the infection, Faith, and hope it clears up quickly so you can get back to exercising!

I made my goal this week.

Swept floors in 3 rooms, babysat 3 hours, lots of walking while stocking up on groceries. My best effort was outdoor walking with trekking poles going non stop for 425 steps. This kind of walking outside is making sure I lift my feet instead of my usual shuffling. Proud of myself if I may say so.

Weather permitting, my goal is doing it again next week and maybe increase steps. And getting at least 3 days of active movement.
        Good week to all!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          I think I'm going to need to say that I'm unable to report this week.

I've been having a number of medical issues; one is an infection on one of my legs that is affecting my ability to exercise. I went to my PCP physician twice this week; I guess that could count as some extra steps. And, I have an appointment with my functional medicine doctor scheduled for Monday.

I won't set an exercise goal for next week; I'm just not sure what I'm able to do until my infection clears up.
          Sorry to hear about your troubles Mamabug and I hope you are able to clear that bug up soon. Geaux ahead and get some rest.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
            Really sorry to hear about the infection, Faith, and hope it clears up quickly so you can get back to exercising!

I made my goal this week.

Swept floors in 3 rooms, babysat 3 hours, lots of walking while stocking up on groceries. My best effort was outdoor walking with trekking poles going non stop for 425 steps. This kind of walking outside is making sure I lift my feet instead of my usual shuffling. Proud of myself if I may say so.

Weather permitting, my goal is doing it again next week and maybe increase steps. And getting at least 3 days of active movement.
            Good week to all!
            Thats great that you are paying attention to those details on steps and focusing on improving them. Good luck on next week's goals.

Comment

I'll call it as partial goals this week.

Ggot my 2 nights of Jiu Jitsu in.... I only got 1 of my 3 mile runs in this week, mostly because of the weather which has been really nasty as of lately. I was also able to get a good bit of stretching in this week. Still slacking on my body weight training though..... The weeks sure do fly by now-a-days.

Keep it going.

Comment

Hi everyone

Mamabug ~ Sorry to learn that you've been dealing with medical issues, including an infection. That's no way to start the new year, darn!

Hope you get better soon. Easy does it.

Seasha ~ What a fantastic week you had accomplishing your goals with activities and walking! We're proud of your efforts too!

Boudreaux ~ You achieved partial goals - terrific! Hope the weather shapes up, so you can get in some more runs.

I'm grateful that I was able to accomplish my exercise goals. Guess I'm 'in the groove' with my routine.

I have no idea why I thought that I might want to add some more challenging exercises. I've been dealing with a couple of MS related challenges lately that have required quite a bit of my physical energy! One predicament took me a couple of hours to resolve, and I was exhausted.

So, I'll stay on with the current exercise routine.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Good energy, good health, and peace of mind to all.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey Seasha... would it be OK to say... "Seashas' steppin' out!" ? (sorry) Glad to hear that the weather is cooperating.

I'm similar to Boudreaux with the end of January messing up my exercise plans a bit. And KoKo, whenever I hear "predicament took me a couple of hours to resolve"... I am reminded of the "blueberry incident"! Hoping patience and the physical reserve from all the effort you put in to your routines paid off!

Think I learned something this week. Comes down to strength routines vs. stretching routines. One suffers while the other shows some traction*. Wish it were as simple as that but there are always subplots too. Enough.

Made my goals. Cardio was a highlight with increased distances without much increased time.

Arm and leg routines mixed over my standard 3 days, 5 hrs total. Leg strength fair, arm strength improved (added a baby plate... felt like Superman!).

Stretching routines @ 25 minutes each over 6 days, not so good. See above*.

Overall, my blessings continue to run rampant over my setbacks.

Comment

Glad you made your goals, Jer and KoKo, and hopefully your weather clears up, Boudreaux, so you can get your runs in!
                    Good luck to all for next week!
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                      And KoKo, whenever I hear "predicament took me a couple of hours to resolve"... I am reminded of the "blueberry incident"! Hoping patience and the physical reserve from all the effort you put in to your routines paid off!
                      Yes, I believe they did. Thank you, Jer.

Think I learned something this week. Comes down to strength routines vs. stretching routines. One suffers while the other shows some traction*.
                      That's because they have opposite effects on your muscles. Strengthening exercises shorten the muscles, while stretching lengthens them.

Made my goals. Cardio was a highlight with increased distances without much increased time.

Arm and leg routines mixed over my standard 3 days, 5 hrs total. Leg strength fair, arm strength improved (added a baby plate... felt like Superman!).

Stretching routines @ 25 minutes each over 6 days, not so good. See above*.

Overall, my blessings continue to run rampant over my setbacks.
                      Looking good, Jer!

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        Strengthening exercises shorten the muscles, while stretching lengthens them.
                        Should have mentioned that practices such as yoga, tai chi, etc. can actually do both - strengthen and lengthen the muscles.

Comment

Working...
                        X