• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 12-17-2020

Sorry; I'm a day late again.

5 checked in last week.

We all made goals!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last we
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals.

And, I had an appointment, yesterday, with the Wellness Center director. She gave me some additional ideas about how to use my Body gym.

Unfortunately, I've already forgotten most of them. My goal for next week might allow for reduced exercise because of the holiday. But, it will also include emailing director to ask her to send her exercise instructions.
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi everyone

Mamabug ~ Terrific job on hitting your goals, and getting more ideas for your Body Gym.

~ I was able to accomplish my goals too. I had a nice week overall, with most activities going smooth as silk (I love when that happens, and enjoy it while it lasts ).

My exercises went very well. Wondering if I should add more challenges. Guess I'll think about it.

Still exercising my brain with learning the language of Francais. I try to do a lesson, or a review, every day. I really enjoy it.

For now, I will aim for my current goals, for next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Good energy and peace of mind to all.
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Good work you two!

I also made goal with babysitting twice, walking lots in grocery store and spending hours in my kitchen making more Christmas treats. (I'm going to count that as exercise!)

I'm not making goals for next week as Christmas approaches. Just writing out cards and wrapping presents.

1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Good work you two!

I also made goal with babysitting twice, walking lots in grocery store and spending hours in my kitchen making more Christmas treats. (I'm going to count that as exercise!)

I'm not making goals for next week as Christmas approaches. Just writing out cards and wrapping presents.
          Super exercise, Seasha! Doing activities that work-out your arms and legs, while also being productive.
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Nice work everyone. I made modified goals.

Backed off a little bit to rest since I was scheduled to compete today (Saturday 12/19). Tied for 3rd out of 7....not bad for an old man with MS. Thanks for all the support and encouragement guys.

I think I'll take off next week. 20201219_131411.jpg
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

Backed off a little bit to rest since I was scheduled to compete today (Saturday 12/19). Tied for 3rd out of 7....not bad for an old man with MS. Thanks for all the support and encouragement guys.

Congrats, Boudreaux!!
              You have a nice relaxing week. You deserve it!

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

Way to go, Boudreaux! Incredible accomplishment!

Comment

Funny that I missed the thread the last two days...? The site just isn't what it was or may be more likely, I'm not the same.

Anyhow I wasn't sure of my goals starting week without gym being open, so I did a week of stretching: 3 hours over 6 days. That was the only thing consistent. There wasn't any cardio or weights, leg or arm work, only a little core stuff. Oops, I did shovel snow so, some cardio.

One thing about the week that I did do was a conscious decision to eliminate distraction. It may be related to the end of the year. Contemplative. A blizzard helped of course, but days before the snow, I decided to turn off all music, a standard for me is classical at day & jazz at night. No TV until limited evening news, spot check email & MSW only.

Remember when I said closing my eyes while attempting to exercise in pool or elsewhere helped me focus on the task at hand? Well, same thing happens when all distractions are silenced. Easy for me living alone. Two phone conversations all week. Noticed my voice was fractured from not using it until Thursday.

In conclusion it was necessary. Appears that everyones week was a variation so I'm not alone. I'll call the whole thing an exercise, a reset or reboot.... Actually have no idea of what next week will be like but I think I'm ready.

Comment

Hello Jer

Good for you that you got your stretches in, and shoveled snow too.

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    One thing about the week that I did do was a conscious decision to eliminate distraction. It may be related to the end of the year. Contemplative. A blizzard helped of course, but days before the snow, I decided to turn off all music, a standard for me is classical at day & jazz at night. No TV until limited evening news, spot check email & MSW only.
                    Classical music sure can be distracting. I have to be in the right frame of mind when I listen to it, or it can cause agitation for me at times, with the uneven volume levels (very soft then very loud, etc.) and uneven tempo (slow paced then fast paced, etc.).

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    I'll call the whole thing an exercise, a reset or reboot....
                    It's that time of the year, (end of year with the new year approaching) for reset, reboot, etc. You're right on schedule.

Comment

Jer, shoveling snow and stretching for 6 days is good in my book! Seems like many of us go into quasi hibernation at this time of year. It's dark and cold and yes! a time of contemplation. It's all good and necessary for many.

Comment

Thanks Seasha and KoKo. Some time spent alone can be a plus but there is a very fine line we should avoid.

Also, Congratulations Mike on 3rd place! And Faith... Good luck getting additional exercises for your new Body Gym!

Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Comment

Happy New Year's Eve!
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                            X