• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 11-19-2020

5 checked in last week.

2 made goals.
    1 exceeded goals!
    1 made partial goals.
    1 didn't make goals; sounds like you're reevaluating goals for current situation. ((Hugs))

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last we
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Let's just say I'm reevaluating goals. I probably made them; I'm not sure. But I have chosen not to go to exercise at the Senior Center or the Rec Center, due to higher COVID numbers in our state and county.

The positive piece that goes alongside this is that I ordered a Body Gym a long time ago. unfortunately, the one I ordered wasn't the original; it was a knock-off that had to ship from China. But, it arrived last week. So, I've been exercising at home, which is good, because I really wasn't very able to make myself do that during spring lock-down months.

So, hey -- I changed my mind. I made my goal, I guess, because I think I exercised 4x this week. at home. Short duration, but maybe I'll try to look up some chair yoga classes online again, or something, for some variety next week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug - that's fantastic news about your new body gym!! And what good timing with Covid cramping your gym style activities.

I guess I didn't set any goals for the week, but I did what I could with what I'm experiencing with my wrist. I got more exercises from PT and have been doing them every day. I asked for fewer trips to see them due to less exposure, so they doubled up on exercises with less appts.

I babysat once, walked lots while grocery shopping and even managed to vacuum some.

Goal is to continue on PT and try to get out with my trekking poles for a walk outside, weather permitting!

As, Boudreaux always says, keep it going!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi everyone

Mamabug ~ Good job on making your goals! It's great to hear that you have some equipment for home exercise. I know that you really prefer to go out for your group workouts. Until that's possible again, good luck with your home exercising.

Seasha ~ Good job with your PT, walking, babysitting, and vacuuming! All are physical activities which count as exercise. You're doing better than would be expected with your wrist injury. Hope it is healing well!

~ I had a good week with my exercises, and accomplished my goals. I am seeing benefits, especially from all of the leg stretching and bending (at least 3X during the day).

Had one day with more than usual motor fatigue, which I blame on a little overactivity and not enough resting time.

Thank goodness the tired muscles recoup after a little extra rest. It can be very disconcerting when the arms and legs feel too exhausted and weak to even move.

On a lighter note, my sister brought a large, sliced red pepper, some hummus, and deviled eggs for me to enjoy!

I will aim for the same exercise goals next week.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Be strong and of good courage, be not afraid nor dismayed...

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          I made my goal, I guess, because I think I exercised 4x this week. at home. Short duration, but maybe I'll try to look up some chair yoga classes online again, or something, for some variety next week.
          Hey Mamabug! Anyway you cut it you made your goal(s), I say plural because the mental capacity required to recognize the problem (covid / exercise) and the need to feel as if you are taking charge were addressed and acted upon. Enjoy your new equipment regardless of time spent.

Seasha- Good idea getting the trekking poles out, I found that the wrist, even my poor wrist gets some usage with the poles. Hope your weather permits. And KoKo, attributing the motor fatigue to overactivity... You're the only one who knows your body, with me it's pain / muscle cramps due to overworking. Trying to convince myself that at the very least I feel the pain... signals are being sent... I'll take it.

My week was successful in a different way. It's been a month without trainer. I haven't missed a day at gym (12 sessions). Less time spent per session but I directed my routines and was able to recall exercises appropriate for upper / lower body. I now wonder if there was drama on my part (with trainer) and these days less or none. I try and accept that this day is or isn't a winner. And have had more winners than expected these last weeks.

About Seasha's thread regarding what we are doing in a COVID world.... My gym is still open and I am very grateful. I could survive another 4 months on my own but closing the gym may hobble me literally.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

And KoKo, attributing the motor fatigue to overactivity... You're the only one who knows your body, with me it's pain / muscle cramps due to overworking. Trying to convince myself that at the very least I feel the pain... signals are being sent... I'll take it.
            Hey Jer ~ pain/cramps or muscle fatigue? Not sure there is a 'lesser of two evils' (as the saying goes).

Don't want to jinx myself here, but pain and muscle cramps are very rare for me, so far.

My week was successful in a different way. It's been a month without trainer. I haven't missed a day at gym (12 sessions). Less time spent per session but I directed my routines and was able to recall exercises appropriate for upper / lower body. I now wonder if there was drama on my part (with trainer) and these days less or none. I try and accept that this day is or isn't a winner. And have had more winners than expected these last weeks.
            Glad to hear that your week was successful! You're doing marvelous since going solo with your workouts!

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My week was successful in a different way. It's been a month without trainer. I haven't missed a day at gym (12 sessions). Less time spent per session but I directed my routines and was able to recall exercises appropriate for upper / lower body.
              So proud of you, Jer, for keeping the routine going sans trainer and not missing a session! That is true dedication

Stay safe in your gym!

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

~ I had a good week with my exercises, and accomplished my goals. I am seeing benefits, especially from all of the leg stretching and bending (at least 3X during the day).

Great job, KoKo, and so glad you are seeing benefits!

Comment

Sorry for the late check in...

Solid work everyone, so nice to read about everyone's challenges and resilience to deal with them.

I didn't make goals...
                  No Jiu Jitsu for me. Had to give up training this past week to hit another milestone on the home project.
                  Made my two runs for the week and got my 5 x 50 in daily. Keep it going.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                    Sorry for the late check in...

Solid work everyone, so nice to read about everyone's challenges and resilience to deal with them.

I didn't make goals...
                    No Jiu Jitsu for me. Had to give up training this past week to hit another milestone on the home project.
                    Made my two runs for the week and got my 5 x 50 in daily. Keep it going.
                    Sounds excellent to me! Good luck with the "honey do's"

Comment

Hey Boudreaux - at least you were active! (and not laying around on the sofa eating bon-bons) ; )

Comment

Working...
                      X