• Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 09-03-2020

4 checked in last week.

3 made goals.
    1 is recovering from a fall.

I hope Boudreaux is okay.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

- Silver Sneakers at rec center 1x
    - Chair yoga at senior center 2x
    - Strong seniors at senior center. I skipped it because I had a To-Do list at home to get ready for my daughter and grandsons, who will be arriving this weekend.
    - PT at home . not this week
    - 3 block tandem bike ride with my hubby. Bike had problems. He had to walk it home; I had to walk home with him. I haven't walked 3 blocks for a long time. 1 or two blocks is usually all I manage. With hanging on to him on one side and my cane on the other side, i made it.

Average steps per day: 1246 steps. Steps were similar; improved slightly.

I'll try to check in next week. I might not be on much, due to daughter visiting. I also won't set any exercise goals. I'll just see what happens.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Nice work, Faith! Good thing you weren't farther than 3 blocks!

I took it easier than usual this past week. I'm still healing from my bad fall. Still did some harvesting in garden, did some harvest canning and juicing and helped babysat, but that's about all.

Put me down for partial goal.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        I hope Boudreaux is okay.
        I'm good..thanks for thinking of me. Just busy...maybe lazy....maybe both.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        - 3 block tandem bike ride with my hubby. Bike had problems. He had to walk it home; I had to walk home with him. I haven't walked 3 blocks for a long time. 1 or two blocks is usually all I manage. With hanging on to him on one side and my cane on the other side, i made it.
        That's terrible, a little QT with your hubby turns into a challenging journey home. Glad you made it. Enjoy your company next week.

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        I took it easier than usual this past week. I'm still healing from my bad fall. Still did some harvesting in garden, did some harvest canning and juicing and helped babysat, but that's about all.
        Understandable....hope you continue to heal.

I got my 2 nights of BJJ in and 1 run @ 3 miles but no stretching. I've been trying to figure out why I'm having such a tough time getting done what I know I'm capable of and came up with a few reasons but I think they are all excuses. I'm thinking of competing in October and I'll need to get it together if I want to do that. Keep it going.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Looks like you are getting closer to your old numbers Mamabug! Sorry about your bike-hike extravaganza but you made it! Enjoy the up coming family visit.

And I know about self examination (too busy or lazy) Bourdreaux. Except with me it's mass confusion at times... justifying my reasons or laziness or the obvious: overthinking. Glad you posted B., FWIW go with the motto "Just do it."

And Seasha! Busy despite the physical setback! You get a gold star or maybe a round of applause this winter when you unpack some fresh produce for a nice dinner!

My week was a mix. Highlight was cardio with times & distances solid and without any residual pain etc. Not as much success with strength routines for arms and legs. Encountered routines, previously doable, that failed due to right side arm and leg weakness. Not all routines but just one or two. REMINDER: don't go down that mental rabbit hole!

So... Ab work was pretty good. Now doing a total of 60 reps (various set counts) on decline bench set at about 45 degrees. Making sure back touches on decent! Good for the needed mental lift.

Next week a challenge with trainer on holiday, I'm hoping to avoid any rabbit holes.

Hey KoKo, nary a word? hope all is well!

Comment

Hi everyone

Mamabug, your to-do list for the trip, and your bike ride/walk, both count towards being active and moving your body. To me, you had a terrific week of exercise!

Seasha, hope you are healing nicely and feeling better. You did what you could, under the circumstances. Great effort!

Boudreaux, you probably need a little pause now and then from going gung-ho with exercise. Working and having family responsibilities keeps you active as well. You still managed Jiu Jitsu and a run, so great effort!

Jer, sounds like you had fantastic cardio and ab workouts with no pain - wonderful! You may find that your strength routine goes better next time. Sometimes those darn nerve signals decide to act slothful, or short circuit, for no particular reason.

Just wondering, do you do the strength exercises after you have done other exercises or activity? I know that I have to budget my strength/energy, as it tends to decrease with each activity when done consecutively (no rest in between).

~ My exercising went well and I accomplished my goals, thankfully. The breathing techniques need more attention, though.

I needed some extra help from my sister yesterday, and consequently got behind with my regular daily activities, which made for a busy day. I'm s-l-o-w, (but sure).

I'm sticking with my current goals for next week, with a little extra work on my left leg stretches.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + Breathing exercises

4X Per Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Good energy and perseverance to all.
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
              Just wondering, do you do the strength exercises after you have done other exercises or activity?

Trainer likes me to warm up muscles pre session. Since heat is not a problem, I arrived at gym 30 to 45 minutes before session. Do 30 minutes of mixed cardio then use one of two benches for ab work until she cracks the whip.

Just before the pandemic we switched from dedicated upper or lower body days to her choice. Now it is usually a mix. Also more focus on activities of daily living... you know the drill.

There isn't any rest between anything other than my slowness moving from one piece of equipment to another. Usually leave gym 2+ hours after I arrive, tired but lifted.

If there is a problem lately it is with sleep. I am very relaxed nightly with or without exercise, but sleep less.

J

Comment

Good job everyone! Really proud of you all.
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X