Difficulty Passing Feces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficulty Passing Feces

Has anyone had trouble when going to the bathroom? Specifically, having your rectum area seem almost too weak to full expunge your fecal load? It's only happened twice to me, over the past few years, (and I'm currently under a lot of stress), but this past time was almost painful, and I did move my hand (with the toilet paper) to help things along, but there seemed to be a large part still stuck.

How emmbarrasing (another thing to enjoy during the start of my menopause. . .yikes!)! Fortunately, I had some panty-like depend's briefs to put on while I walked around the house trying to get things to move along? Scary? It finally did, and I don't usually have hard stools? So, I think it may be more MS related than my diet (although I rarely eat red meat and I did have a yummy burger! LOL). If I can't laugh at this, I'll keep crying tears as I'm having much financial and familial stress at the moment.

Thanks all at MS World for sharing "normalcy" in the "World of MS" too. Blessings!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Not an expert on the question you raise but...

There are specific exercises for the entire core / pelvis / rectum areas of the body. These muscle groups should always be addressed.

Hard stool can certainly be caused by diet. I very rarely eat red meat . Yes, one rare burger alone has caused bowl movement irregularity.

Lastly, stress, without doubt is a factor in all MS issues.

The advise & links offered in your other thread (Pennstater) should help to relieve some financial stress. Recognizing the initial cause of any money issue is key (Jules).

Comment

Bowel problems are actually quite common with both older women in general and older people with MS. Sorry, but I'm ranking you among us "aged" ones because of your mention of menopause!

I have dealt with this several times over the years, beginning when I was about 30 (I'm 57 now), and it catches me by surprise every time. If it's not a daily occurrence, all you can do is what you did. If it begins happening more often, you might want to consider keeping some OTC suppositories or oral stool softeners in the house. I haven't had to resort to those yet, but I have several online contacts with MS who have become dependent on them for daily help.

Comment

As a quadriplegic. With MS and other severe lack of mobility issues. Constipation. Is a really common problem. I experianced terrible constipation issues. And associated stomach , bowel cramping pain issues for years. I mostly had to try to stick to a quadriplegic bowel program. You can google it. Its common for quadriplegic care. My caregivers handled it every other day. It mostly minimized accidents. Staying hydrated , fiber , lots of fruits and veggies etc. We all hear it all the time. At this point My ability to chew and swallow has greatly diminished. So I have had to resort to gastrostomy tube feeding. Constipation is no longer a issue. Unfortunately complete bowel incontinence has become a reality.

Comment

Working...
        X