Messy Self-Cath issue this am.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messy Self-Cath issue this am.

I had to start self-cathing back in Aug due to PVR over 300. I usually do ok, still a bit odd to me but I can do it.
    BUT: Once in a while I have a leakage (sorry loss for better word/s) problem when self-cathing. This morning was the worst. I was going to sleep in (weekend) but had been getting up about 5:30 am lately (to take wife to work, school back in session).

Sleeping in was not in my cards today. About 5 or 6 am I just HAD to go pee, but I could not. So I got out the cath gear and began to cath. I got it about half way in and the flood gates broke, there was so much pressure it was coming out thru the cath AND around it at the same time. Needless to say the pressure also blew the cath out.

After the flood was over, I restarted the self-cath and got even more. I seem to Have more than one stricture, one about half way up the long and winding plumbing and another at the bladder/prostate. I say long and winding because I usually use over 10 inches, not 5 or 6 inches of the cath before I get any flow.

I have surgery scheduled for next month, but I doubt he is aware of the chance(??) there may be two separate unrelated strictures. It only happens once in a while. I think my internal plumbing changes position or maybe tangles.

When I had the uro-testing, the nurse had a minor issue when inserting the cath for testing. I told her to rotate it, to get past a spot (something I had learned in he previous 2 weeks, to do once in a while, not always) and it went in fine after that. I wonder if I should call the urologist practice and note my issue this morning etc???

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Leakages outside the catheter can be caused by the sphincter relaxing and allowing urine from the bladder into the urethra.

You could request a flexible cystoscopy. which allows the urologists to "see" inside the plumbing.

I failed the uro-testing and the flexible cystoscopy, so was admitted for a surgical cystoscopy.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Also, leakage around the catheter can be from too small cath. Do you know what size you are using? 14Fr??

Sorry for all your going through, I started cathing the beginning of Aug too. It really does just get easier each time.
      DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

daisy: I was started with 14 French (isn't everyone) but I am using 12, the 14s were just too hard for me to do. Remember us guys have a lot longer run of plumbing, and mine seems a little longer than average.

GJinUK; thanks, Had not thought about the spincer relaxing while inserting the cath. So maybe the cath insertion, even part way trigger the spincer to work. I sure could not get it to work when I tried/needed.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Gomer, you should be in control of your sphincter. It should be able to grip the catheter tube. Unless you relax that particular sphincter muscle.

Comment

Hey Gomer,

Been there done that! More them one time. Other than what is already been said, I do not have any words of wisdom for you except that if you have to go, do not try the cath until you have relieved your bladder to the point that you no longer feel that you have to go.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

But ED....

I had tried and I just could not go at all, not a drop. On a normal morning yes, I would go once even twice sometimes before self cathing. It not fun or comfortable when the bladder refuses to empty (even partly) to relieve the pressure.

It has not happened in recent days, and only happens once in a while, just not as forceful as the other day.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I'm so sorry you are having a rough time! But it really does get better over time once you figure it all out. I would definitely contact a urologist about all of the problems you are experiencing. Also makes sure you are using the right type/size of catheter. I love the site I get my catheters from (selfcatheters.com) because they offer free support and advice if I am having problems with any of their products. They also offer free samples which allowed me to try many different brands until I found the right one for me. Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                X