X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twisterred
    replied
    Dulcolax or a generic of it helps.
    It's available over the counter, no script needed.

Drink plenty of fluids.
    Including plenty of foods with fiber is important.
    Here is a list: http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweig.../highfiber.htm

And exercise, even walk each day if possible.

This issue is unfortunately a problem for many with MS.
    A medical professional once told me get on a schedule.
    He said it is important to eliminate because what needs to go can be toxic to the body.
    He also stated that a person should go at least once a week, minimum.

Leave a comment:

• techie
    replied
    Prunes and raisins in my cooked cereal in the mornings. Also make sure you are drinking enough water and getting exercise.
    techie

Leave a comment:

• rdmc
    replied
    Miralax...you might have to adjust the dose to more than "normal" if your constipation is resisitent to the usual dose. At regular dose I notice a difference in about 3 days, at double dose, it takes a day. It's what they give now for colonoscopy prep. Causes no cramps, just pulls moisture to the bowel.

Also, there's a Magnesium powder called CALM...you mix it with water, and it works well if you make the dose large enough.

Neither one of those are laxatives in the true sense of the word, so they're not recommended for only a short length of time.

Leave a comment:

• jmm9503
    started a topic Constipation!!!

Constipation!!!

I'm looking for some help. I have had SEVERE constipation for 20+ years, diagnosed with MS 13 years ago. My MD's feel that the constipation is MS related. I have been taking colchicine (a medication for gout)-I do not have gout 0.6 mgs 4 pills a day for this condition and it works fantastic. They have stopped making the generic rx and my M.D. has switched me to Amitiza with NO effect on my constipation. I am hoping that they will put me back on the colchicine name brand-very $$$. If they don't put me on that, I'm looking to the MS community for help and ideas on what has worked for your constipation. HELP please!
Working...
X