Bladder Retention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bladder Retention

One of the many wonders I have been blessed with, probably due to the MS, is bladder retention. I figure this probably goes back to before I was Dx in 1995 but who knows. I am on Rituxan since October 2014. Since that time I have had recurrent UTIs...usually with no symptoms but I had on/off abdominal pain and low back pain.

I saw my GYN and gastro doc's who both said no problems found see.... After feeling like a ping pong ball, I gave up. At my neuro appoint in June, I asked, once again, to be tested for an UTI. This time before I gave my sample, he ordered a bladder scan before and after. This was the first time I had realized I was retaining urine. So, another referral to a Uro Gyn doc.

Little did I know, but they did, that I was being referred for a possible interstim implant. Within a month of the referral I was introduced to the world of self-cathing. My choice was this or the implant. Great choices!!

While waiting for the implant I had the joy of self cathing 3 x day. I had the trial implant and a week later did have the permanent implant done. I went from cathing 900+cc/day to 100cc. Yeah!
    I also got rid of the abdominal pain....bonus!

I talked to the rep from the company and learned this device can also be used for urinary incontinence and bowel issues. The insurance will pay for this if there is at least a 50% improvement.

I am so glad I got that referral. It does involve 2 surgical procedures but they don't fully put you out. It has been a long year, but I'm hoping I can get all my strength back and hopefully then some.

Just an option that I wanted to share.

Good to know there is a such thing.

I've got an appointment tomorrow for the same issue. I am not fond of the idea of cathing myself at all, but after the test they have me scheduled for, I'm expecting that to be the outcome. It's good to know there is an implant for the problem instead.

Comment

after numerous trips to different hospitals, I finally found out that my bladder was retaining fluid ( big time). When I finally got cathed, my bladder had 3 L of fluid. So self catheterization was no big deal compared to what I went through.

Gwyn, I wish you only good luck! Since I talk to you so often in chat, I will know what is happening. Think you for the info.

Hunt
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

interstim VS. self-cath, or both?

Now that you have the interstim implant in place, are still needing to complete self-cathing? If so, how frequently? I ask because I am having great difficulty self-cathing after extensive spinal fusion. I am looking into other ways to manage my bladder issues.
        Thanks for sharing, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
          after numerous trips to different hospitals, I finally found out that my bladder was retaining fluid ( big time). When I finally got cathed, my bladder had 3 L of fluid. So self catheterization was no big deal compared to what I went through.

Gwyn, I wish you only good luck! Since I talk to you so often in chat, I will know what is happening. Think you for the info.

Hunt
          That is exactly what happened to me. It's not normal for a bladder to hold 3 liters. My uro explained that my bladder had stretched out and could no longer squeeze enough to empty. I figured, "what's the point of inter stim if I have to cath anyway."

Comment

Working...
          X