my ER visit about poop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my ER visit about poop

Went to the ER Tuesday afternoon because we were all worried about me having diarrhea about every hour and a half (at one time I actually went 4 hours between attacks yay) for 36 hours. I was putting it off because of money problems. And ambulances and anything at the hospital is so expensive. The CAT scan and blood work determined that I have a UTI (well duh), a colon infection and even though I've been pooping so much I'm still full of poop. After 6 hours I came away with 5 prescriptions. 2 antibiotics, 2 different pain meds (1 is only for abdominal pain) and a drink mix to make me poop more to get all that stuff out. So I went there because of diarrhea and instead of helping me stop it they are giving me something to do more diarrhea. Not cool.

And it was hard going to that hospital because 3 weeks ago my dad passed away there. But that was also part of the worry about my diarrhea because he had the same kind of thing but his turned out to be liver failure. But my ER doc said my liver is good. That's at least one less thing to worry about.
    Diagnosed December 20, 2011
    Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
    Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
    Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
    Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Hi, I wish this was not such a crappy subject. (I know not funny)
    I just had 2 E.R. visits lately for similar problems but mine were severe constipation and even though I would take stuff to go I found out like you that I still was full of poop. The first Gastro said it was the M.S. and everything was moving very slow through me, gastroparesis. Well I am still having the same problems after taking many meds. Going to another gastro for 2nd. opinion. Make sure they tested you for C.Diff. very nasty and some are resistant to antibiotics. Usually caused by taking antibiotics. I will watch for your posts and if they resolve mine I will post back to you. Let us know how things come out. (I know even less funny)

PEACE
    Tortis

Comment

Originally posted by tortis View Post
      Hi, I wish this was not such a crappy subject. (I know not funny)
      I just had 2 E.R. visits lately for similar problems but mine were severe constipation and even though I would take stuff to go I found out like you that I still was full of poop. The first Gastro said it was the M.S. and everything was moving very slow through me, gastroparesis. Well I am still having the same problems after taking many meds. Going to another gastro for 2nd. opinion. Make sure they tested you for C.Diff. very nasty and some are resistant to antibiotics. Usually caused by taking antibiotics. I will watch for your posts and if they resolve mine I will post back to you. Let us know how things come out. (I know even less funny)

PEACE
      Tortis
      Water water water
      Less sugar
      Gluten-free
      And fleet liquid glycerin suppository do the trick. For me it was best to stay away from all products such as the Metamucil fiber supplements etc. This suppositories are slightly expensive this way but really work quickly and without any discomfort. More than I care to but it has been very helpful. I just think diet is so important and hydration without those you will always have problems and that's my two cents on this topic good luck!
      Nothing is Impossible.......

Dx'ed in 1988
      Founded MSWorld in 1996

Comment

Thank you both for your responses.

I do drink water and eat fiber foods.

Currently I'm no longer having diarrhea instead I'm constipated! Grrr not cool

Ugh I'm so crabby. 2 painful infections and all the uncomfortableness of constipation on top of all my 'normal' MS stuff.

And clearly I'm complaining a lot.

Comment

this may sound like an odd concoction, but my neurologist PAC gave it to me it goes; 4 ounces of prune juice, one heaping tablespoon of wheat germ, one serving size of applesauce, all mixed together it was rather ugly looking but it worked. good luck
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
            this may sound like an odd concoction, but my neurologist PAC gave it to me it goes; 4 ounces of prune juice, one heaping tablespoon of wheat germ, one serving size of applesauce, all mixed together it was rather ugly looking but it worked. good luck
            This is probably one of the most important conversations we could have!
            Wellness is a state of mind

Comment

Hi again, sure do know the pain as I have had these problems most of my life. Are the bowel problems new for you or are they a ongoing problem?
              What antibiotics did they give you because they can cause both problems? Did they tell you what the infections were.
              I sure agree with Kat and repeat the "Water water water". Check the side effects list on your antibiotics and do not start taking all kinds of stuff to go without talking to your Doc you might make things worse if that's possible.
              I Hope you feel better soon.

PEACE
              Tortis

Comment

Well it took a week, but the dam leaked yesterday. (so to speak)

Antibiotics are done. No more giant pills that leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

I'm still 'full of poop' but at least it's starting to come out now.

So it appears I'll survive...
                until next time.
                ugh

Is this cycle of constipation and then diarrhea and then constipation , etc. something that a lot of people do?

(The 2 antibiotics were for a colon infection and UTI.)

Comment

I've heard (cant remember where, but it was someone reputable) that we carry 2 weeks worth of poop in our colons (aack!). I use Metamucil to regulate me, have used it since my first pregnancy in 1987. At least it's smooth texture, not globby like then, taking on a life of its own should I had to walk away from my desk for a few minutes!
                  Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                    I've heard (cant remember where, but it was someone reputable) that we carry 2 weeks worth of poop in our colons (aack!). I use Metamucil to regulate me, have used it since my first pregnancy in 1987. At least it's smooth texture, not globby like then, taking on a life of its own should I had to walk away from my desk for a few minutes!
                    Jen
                    I second your aack! and add an ew. I had no idea. Wait...is that true for healthy people too?

Comment

Working...
                    X