X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jstinnett
    replied
    ...learned a lot

I just posted a new topic about my recent relapse and adventures with Ciproflaxin. (it's not approved yet, so doesn't show up in the forum)Anyway... The experience left my ability to process food in shambles, and continues to be an issue.

However, after doing all the regular stuff, like prunes, magnesium, senna, yoga/jumping jacks and you name it, I bought something called Colon Recovery Program, and specifically a product called Hydro-C that uses Vit c and some other thing to pull moisture in to your colon ( i know, I know..yuck) but for me anway, it is giving me some relief, every day, without cramping or being "too loose in the caboose" as my mom used to say.
    I hesitate to plug anything that has the air of quackery around it, but dang me, this one has been a real saviour for me. The whole program includes some probiotics and other vitamins etc. And to be honest, I wonder if a lot of it really does any good. But I was VERY worried that my body was not recovering from that nasty Cipro, and that I would have to resort to laxatives and other somewhat extreme measures. Mind you, I have had my problems over the 63 years that I have lived, but I was "One cuppa coffee and done" my whole life, right up until the 4 weeks of Cipro, then I was like "can't go"....
    The guy that sells the Colon Recovery Program is at if you want to check it out. Yes it does look a little quacky, and the guy that owns the company is an evangelist of sorts. But....the ingredients are pretty tame stuff, and I could not find anyone that really was down on the program.
    I will also admit to buying Dr Schulz Intestinal "something or other", but I have not tried it yet. So I can't speak to whether that one works or not. Would like to hear from anyone who's tried the gutsense products or the mysterious Dr Schulze.
    Merry everything to everyone.
    J

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Leave a comment:

• Mamabug
    replied
    Originally posted by msgijo View Post
    Too cute. But kinda wonder who came up with the marketing idea .

Reckon the $28 version comes with the step by step instructions for the pretty rainbow colored poop ?
    lol!!

Faith

Leave a comment:

• msgijo
    replied
    Originally posted by DonnaD View Post
    Did you see the unicorn movie there? - it's funny. I use a regular $5 stool - don't need a $28 one (think the extra charge is for the movie? )
    Too cute. But kinda wonder who came up with the marketing idea .

Reckon the $28 version comes with the step by step instructions for the pretty rainbow colored poop ?
    Last edited by Seasha; 11-05-2015, 12:08 PM. Reason: Url not MS related

Leave a comment:

• DonnaD
    replied
    Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    They actually manufacture products specifically for that purpose. Squatty Potty.

If you check out Squatty Potty's website, you'll find reasons why a squat position is the most convenient and effective way to improve your bathroom posture. i have a friend who lived in Africa for a number of years and believes squatting to eliminate is a more healthful position than sitting. She has a Squatty Potty in her bathroom.
    Did you see the unicorn movie there? [- it's funny. I use a regular $5 stool - don't need a $28 one (think the extra charge is for the movie? )
    Last edited by Seasha; 11-05-2015, 12:07 PM. Reason: Url not MS related

Leave a comment:

• Mamabug
    replied
    Squatty potty

Originally posted by DonnaD View Post
    I'm adding here something that helps me. The idea is to squat and push, but who can squat? So I actually saw this on a forum where pregnant ladies were talking... Get a small stool - the kind that little kids use to reach the sink - less than a foot tall but close. When you're on the toilet put your feet on the stool and even lean back and sink down a drop (may not work if you're very large bottomed ). The angle really helps - Good luck
    They actually manufacture products specifically for that purpose. Squatty Potty.

If you check out Squatty Potty's website, you'll find reasons why a squat position is the most convenient and effective way to improve your bathroom posture. i have a friend who lived in Africa for a number of years and believes squatting to eliminate is a more healthful position than sitting. She has a Squatty Potty in her bathroom.
    Last edited by Seasha; 11-05-2015, 12:11 PM. Reason: Url not MS related

Leave a comment:

• DonnaD
    replied
    I'm adding here something that helps me. The idea is to squat and push, but who can squat? So I actually saw this on a forum where pregnant ladies were talking... Get a small stool - the kind that little kids use to reach the sink - less than a foot tall but close. When you're on the toilet put your feet on the stool and even lean back and sink down a drop (may not work if you're very large bottomed ). The angle really helps - Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Seasha
    replied
    That's great to hear Donna! I'd go ahead and get some for a back up supply just in case. Hope things keep "moving" along for you - lol

Leave a comment:

• DonnaD
    replied
    Originally posted by Seasha View Post
    Donna - I usually take it at night as you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach. Unless I have to be somewhere in the early morning, I skip taking it the night before as I don't want an accident while I'm out and about. I usually schedule appts and meetups for late mornings.

I have never had diarrhea while taking them nor have I experienced any side effects. When I started taking them, it took a few days to get things moving. Like I said, I do drink plenty of water each day and try to make sure to take in fiber too! Sometimes I don't go every day, but every other day is fine with me too. And it does the job of clearing the intestines very well.

For information on probiotics and constipation, this link from Harvard Medical School may help you - http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/p...n-201408217377

Good luck, Donna. I know how miserable you've felt.
    Things straightened out!! Don't know what I changed but I'm back to just needing help getting started - None of that dying on the floor anymore. I'm considering buying the probiotics anyway to have them if need be again but by the time I realize that I should have taken them I'm afraid it will be too late. I think I'll wait them out for a while and see how things go.

Thank for the info - Now I know were to run for it

Leave a comment:

• Seasha
    replied
    Donna - I usually take it at night as you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach. Unless I have to be somewhere in the early morning, I skip taking it the night before as I don't want an accident while I'm out and about. I usually schedule appts and meetups for late mornings.

I have never had diarrhea while taking them nor have I experienced any side effects. When I started taking them, it took a few days to get things moving. Like I said, I do drink plenty of water each day and try to make sure to take in fiber too! Sometimes I don't go every day, but every other day is fine with me too. And it does the job of clearing the intestines very well.

For information on probiotics and constipation, this link from Harvard Medical School may help you - http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/p...n-201408217377

Good luck, Donna. I know how miserable you've felt.

Leave a comment:

• DonnaD
    replied
    Donna - you poor thing~~

I have generally been constipated for years now and have tried every trick/supplements/OTC meds/adjusting diet/enema/you name it. And I drink lost water all day long! And I too have episodes similar to yours where I've felt so weak and get what I call hot flashes that I've had to lay down on the cool tile and felt like I was going to die!! Once I finally went, it would be days before I'd go again!

My adult son, who also suffers, turned me onto Probiotic-10, a blend of 10 strains of probiotics. The writing is too small to list them, but for the first time in years and years, I found something that works!! It has 25 billion organisms per pill. Sometime I even have to take 2 (=50 billion) It's put out by NOW. As you know, probiotics promote healthy intestinal flora in your system and therein lies the problem with me. I bought it on Amazon and it didn't cost that much.

I take it religiously!! I'm so relived and happy
    That's it!! You take this every (morning/night?) and you're like a normal person? (BTW, I know nothing about probiotics) - Any side effects? Do you also still drink a lot, fiber... Other things to help, or that's it? Or am I getting too excited about this miracle cure?

Leave a comment:

• Seasha
    replied
    Donna - you poor thing~~

I have generally been constipated for years now and have tried every trick/supplements/OTC meds/adjusting diet/enema/you name it. And I drink lost water all day long! And I too have episodes similar to yours where I've felt so weak and get what I call hot flashes that I've had to lay down on the cool tile and felt like I was going to die!! Once I finally went, it would be days before I'd go again!

My adult son, who also suffers, turned me onto Probiotic-10, a blend of 10 strains of probiotics. The writing is too small to list them, but for the first time in years and years, I found something that works!! It has 25 billion organisms per pill. Sometime I even have to take 2 (=50 billion) It's put out by NOW. As you know, probiotics promote healthy intestinal flora in your system and therein lies the problem with me. I bought it on Amazon and it didn't cost that much.

I take it religiously!! I'm so relived and happy

Leave a comment:

• DonnaD
    replied
    I almost died

TMI!! TMI!! I'm really warning you

Don't know how much of this story you want to hear TMI but I really need a cure. I've been constipated for the past 2 years. Definitely MS related. Eating different things (like oatmeal) or pills don't help. The problem is pushing it out. Don't know where the long graphic thread that described this by someone else is but the only way to go was to wrap my finger in toilet paper and give a little nudge. It got the muscles moving (like putting your finger down your throat to throw up - I don't do that), or sometimes you really had to fish around and push it out. But that was working for me (though I don't think it's a permanent solution)

Now that wasn't the bad part of my TMI story. Friday night at supper, I had strong pains in my stomach. Like you get from a stomach ache. I hadn't really been paying attention but I hadn't had a bowel movement in a few days (usually do every day or every other). Also, Friday mornings I have a "weigh-in" contest with my daughters and I was surprised how much I weighed. I was really "backed up". Also, on Friday I barely ate. I just wasn't hungry.

So Friday during supper I go to the bathroom cause I have these pains but I figure I'l just go and then feel better. So I try my finger trick and it's like there's nothing there. I know I have to go. I'm pushing and trying... Nothing. Then I get really hot and dizzy feeling (no AC in the bathroom). So I lay down on the cool tiles on the bathroom floor. Finally I pull myself up and sit on toilet again...

Now I'm not giving details and details - I gave enough but I keep going back to the floor and feel like I'm just dying. Pains in my stomach. Hot and weak. And I just cant go.

Finally Finally things move. It comes out - A week's worth. I throw up too. Like I had a full blockage.

I'm telling you. I was dying. This was about an hour long thing.

But after i was empty I felt good. I showered and only let my husband pass me rags and garbage bags and bleach through a crack in the bathroom door. I cleaned the toilet. Cleaned up the floor. Washed the floor.

When I was lying on the bathroom floor next to my vomit and sh..Ugh - I really thought I was dying. My husband has been through childbirth with me and cleans up when my kids vomit in the middle of the night but I'm so glad that I was able to pull myself together and clean everything up with no help.

Now it's Wednesday and I haven't been able to go since Friday night - HELP!!! I can't live like this. What do I do??

Leave a comment:

• ZSP
    replied
    As I age and become less mobile to boot, I'm thinking that this plays a strong part as well. I'm not moving much and neither is my digestive system. Can MS mis-wiring/mis-firing cause it too?

Such a problem for many of us!
    It's been a big problem for me since a debilitating relapse three years ago and yes, I believe MS mis-wiring/mis-firing has everything to do with it. I never had the problem before. I've tried almost everything I've read about and nothing has helped long term.

I also agree with you about aging and being less mobile playing a strong part at well.

Leave a comment:

• ZSP
    replied
    As I age and become less mobile to boot, I'm thinking that this plays a strong part as well. I'm not moving much and neither is my digestive system. Can MS mis-wiring/mis-firing cause it too?

Such a problem for many of us!
    It's been a big problem for me since a debilitating relapse three years ago and yes, I believe MS mis-wiring/mis-firing has everything to do with it. I never had the problem before. I've tried almost everything I've read about and nothing has helped long term.

I also agree with you about aging and being less mobile playing a strong part at well.

Leave a comment:

• Mamabug
    replied
    Good idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X