Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constipation

Probably not MS related this time.

I thought I might be a little bit constipated. A little? Following one ex-lax, my weight was more than a pound less six hours later.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I recently read that someone with chronic constipation can have up to four/five pounds of feces retained. And I believe it. I suffer a lot with it and nothing really helps on a regular basis.

I do feel lighter...afterwards. LOL

Comment

2 things help me with constipation...drinking coffee or smoking pot. otherwise i'll go 4 days without going.
      MS dx's 2000
      Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

Seems like now, I have a different problem. Not constipation. Not diarrhea. I'm regular and solid. But, I'm regular 4x a day. Long ago, in my healthy days, I used to have one regular bowel movement first thing every morning.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Can't go

I have had chronic constipation for a few years. I can go 7-8 days I between movements. I drink water, I've tried magnesium, colon cleanses, green smoothies for 6 months, ex lax, and fiber. There have been rare occasions when I will go several days in a row, then it's back to 5-8. It finally gets to the point where my stomachs is hard, tender, swollen, and I can't eat because I'm nauseous. Every doc I tell about it ignores it. It has never been a concern to them, and I've told 7 or 8 different ones.

Comment

I just recently went thru a bad bout and have come to realize I cannot cheat on my GF diet. Cheated by having a tempting piece of homemade German sweet chocolate cake for my DH's birthday. After making it from scratch, I just had to have a piece! Bad idea.

I also cannot eat red meat and I'm wondering if I lack certain enzymes to help break down certain foods. Wonder if this is part of the problem for some of us?

As I age and become less mobile to boot, I'm thinking that this plays a strong part as well. I'm not moving much and neither is my digestive system. Can MS mis-wiring/mis-firing cause it too?

Such a problem for many of us!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

That's too bad that your diet needs to be so strict. I've found that it isn't necessarily the gluten, but the combination of gluten and yeast that bothers me. And, it doesn't give me constipation; it gives me diarrhea.

One solution, when I wish to cheat on gluten/yeast, is that I take one gluten enzyme capsule before eating. Then I have no problems. Seems to help my body digest it effectively. Here's the brand that I use:
              http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Gluten-D...=gluten+digest
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

The only thing that works for me now are Nature's Plus Oats & Honey chewable tablets and they taste good too! I chew 4 tablets a day and the next morning I go smoothly. Sometimes twice a day.....

I also drink a lot of water everyday, eat some fruits and different green veggies!
                Nikki

Comment

I have to take 400 mg of magnesium per night and sometimes it still doesn't work. Think I will look for the honey things though. Good tip, thanks!

Lisa
                  Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                  SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                  Tysabri

Comment

Didn't know that magnesium works for constipation. I take it, along with other things, for frequent urination problems at night. Whatever my constipation problems were, during my original post, they're OK now.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

constipation

I have this problem and the best thing has been fiber The GI dr says 35 grams but all I did was spent time not far from the pot. so I adjusted my intake of fiber down to a point that I take about 20grams. I use prunes if I get a little too solid but I would rather be solid as I am in the w/c and there is no quick way to get to the pot. I had tried Linzess that you see advertized on tv but I got diarrhea so that was not good either
                      constipation is no fun

Comment

Good idea.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                          As I age and become less mobile to boot, I'm thinking that this plays a strong part as well. I'm not moving much and neither is my digestive system. Can MS mis-wiring/mis-firing cause it too?

It's been a big problem for me since a debilitating relapse three years ago and yes, I believe MS mis-wiring/mis-firing has everything to do with it. I never had the problem before. I've tried almost everything I've read about and nothing has helped long term.

I also agree with you about aging and being less mobile playing a strong part at well.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

It's been a big problem for me since a debilitating relapse three years ago and yes, I believe MS mis-wiring/mis-firing has everything to do with it. I never had the problem before. I've tried almost everything I've read about and nothing has helped long term.

I also agree with you about aging and being less mobile playing a strong part at well.

Comment

I almost died

TMI!! TMI!! I'm really warning you

Don't know how much of this story you want to hear TMI but I really need a cure. I've been constipated for the past 2 years. Definitely MS related. Eating different things (like oatmeal) or pills don't help. The problem is pushing it out. Don't know where the long graphic thread that described this by someone else is but the only way to go was to wrap my finger in toilet paper and give a little nudge. It got the muscles moving (like putting your finger down your throat to throw up - I don't do that), or sometimes you really had to fish around and push it out. But that was working for me (though I don't think it's a permanent solution)

Now that wasn't the bad part of my TMI story. Friday night at supper, I had strong pains in my stomach. Like you get from a stomach ache. I hadn't really been paying attention but I hadn't had a bowel movement in a few days (usually do every day or every other). Also, Friday mornings I have a "weigh-in" contest with my daughters and I was surprised how much I weighed. I was really "backed up". Also, on Friday I barely ate. I just wasn't hungry.

So Friday during supper I go to the bathroom cause I have these pains but I figure I'l just go and then feel better. So I try my finger trick and it's like there's nothing there. I know I have to go. I'm pushing and trying... Nothing. Then I get really hot and dizzy feeling (no AC in the bathroom). So I lay down on the cool tiles on the bathroom floor. Finally I pull myself up and sit on toilet again...

Now I'm not giving details and details - I gave enough but I keep going back to the floor and feel like I'm just dying. Pains in my stomach. Hot and weak. And I just cant go.

Finally Finally things move. It comes out - A week's worth. I throw up too. Like I had a full blockage.

I'm telling you. I was dying. This was about an hour long thing.

But after i was empty I felt good. I showered and only let my husband pass me rags and garbage bags and bleach through a crack in the bathroom door. I cleaned the toilet. Cleaned up the floor. Washed the floor.

When I was lying on the bathroom floor next to my vomit and sh..Ugh - I really thought I was dying. My husband has been through childbirth with me and cleans up when my kids vomit in the middle of the night but I'm so glad that I was able to pull myself together and clean everything up with no help.

Now it's Wednesday and I haven't been able to go since Friday night - HELP!!! I can't live like this. What do I do??
                              Dx 1/86 at age 23
                              Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
                              Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Working...
                              X