Oxybutynin for urinary problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxybutynin for urinary problems

I've been taking Oxybutynin (generic for Ditropan) for about 6 months now, and I was wanting some advice. I was on the 5 mg pills and they were working well until the last time I filled them. It was always a blue pill and the last time it was a greenish pill. I looked it up online and it was the drug I was supposed to get, but the green one just wouldn't work for me so I quit taking it.

I told my neuro about the new pills not working and he asked if I wanted to try the 10 mg extended release just once a day. I got it and it doesn't phase me either, except I do think it adds to my fatigue. I am going to try taking it at night to see if I feel better during the day, but I'm not sure how long to give it a try.

I'm really convinced these extended release tabs aren't going to work for me based on what I've experienced already. So my question is, what should I do? I've thought about asking the pharmacy if they can special order me the blue pills in the 5 mg dose again since they worked, but that pharmacy isn't exactly the best, so it's hard getting them to get anything right. I'm also wondering, is it time to just give up on the oxybutynin and try something else now? I have no idea what to do and this peeing all the time is driving me crazy.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Oxybutynin is also available in a patch as Oxytrol.

I tried them but was too sensitive to either the medication or the adhesive. The patches are changed twice a week, and every one of them left a square red welt. After a few weeks I ran out of places to stick them.

Comment

I have no experience with Oxybutynin.

I have found that my urinary frequency problems (you don't specify what your "urinary problems" are) are greatly helped by:
      • avoiding pop (soda) after 5pm
      • drinking some healthy beverages during the day
        • I prefer water, with lemon. And, iced tea, made with herbal tea bags and lightly sweetened with stevia.

I found that, after just one day on the magnesium/calcium supplement, my symptoms, especially at night, improved.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

they still make the blue ones

Hi sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. As to myself I take the blue ones oxybutynin and I wear a pull up at night for bed wetting with the blue pills I don't have accidents to often but I have soaked my hospital bed quite a few times. Maybe you can call different pharmacies to try and get them good luck and God bless Bobby

Comment

Me too

Hi,
          I have had incontinence for 4 years. I tried several medications without any relief. My neuro referred me to a urologist who diagnosed me as having a neurogenic bladder and he prescribed Toviaz for me. If you are able to do that, it is well worth it. Or you could have your neuro try you on different meds until you find one that works best for your needs. Best of luck to you!

Comment

Thanks, every one.. Am now using oxybutnin 4x a day suggested here. Is usually effective. And inexpensive with my insurance.

Always good help here, even for mods. Don't know what I'd do without you!
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

HI! I've been taking Oxybutynin for about 7yrs. I take the 10mg. at night. But I also self cath as needed,as I have a Neurogenic Bladder.It's the best thing I ever did.
              God bless,keep us posted.

Comment

Oxybutynin

Hi,

I saw a new urologist last week. He prescribed Oxybutynin ER...15 mg at night. I also cath several times per day. So, far I have not seen a change.

Were you experiencing an issue with frequency, urgency or leakage? Hoe soon after beginning the medicine did you see overnight relief?

Comment

I suffer from frequency and urgency. When I first started the oxybutynin, I noticed immediate relief back when it did work for me. I sometimes have to get up 4-6 times a night, and it got me down to once and sometimes I'd sleep completely through the night.
                  Diagnosed 1/4/13
                  Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Working...
                  X