PTSD and other issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTSD and other issues.

I want to know how to deal with a upcoming situation.
    I realize that I do not post too often, but I thought I should ask what others do. Maybe something will help..

I was in a bad situation and I am awaiting medication to help me cope better with this. I got out of the situation and I thought that everything would be "fine".

My ptsd is not from military, but from sexual and other forms of abuse. I have been having severe anxiety, hair pulling, panic, paranoia, and much much more going on. I have been seeing things as well while awake or asleep. I do not sleep well.

I am trying to fix medications that were promised to be ordered for me, but currently I am on nothing to help with these issues.

getting to the point-- one of my kids plans on spending the night this weekend sat-sun. I am worried about her seeing me in a 'episode' since I am flying thru these on a regular daily basis. I am trying to keep things "in-control" , but that is really impossible at this point.
    I am concerned that she has a depression issue as well that is not diagnosed. She mentioned some things today that kinda made me think this. She lives with her dad.

What do you guys do to handle panic, anxiety, and ptsd when it comes to dealing with children and other family members?

thanks.

Unfortunately there isn't any one quick fix when it comes to anxiety and ptsd. The research supports a combination of therapy and medication but it can take a long time.

Does your child's father realize the issues you are having?
    Personally I'd be hesitant to expose a child, even an adolescent, to what you described.

Wishing you the best with whatever you decide.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Aponi,
      Prazosin is used to treat PTSD, by dropping your BP and hopefully letting you sleep. There are other treatments like Ambien geared to only sleep, but not assist with the other elements. Good sleep makes a tremendous difference in your ability to handle things. They start with a low dose and gradually increase it hoping to reduce the nightmares and such prior to your BP bottoming out. That is normally used in conjunction with "talk" therapy and possible EMDR, acupuncture or other treatments.

I really don't know what to say about dealing with family members. I would suggest you get your daughter medically evaluated if she needs treatment. She's been through a lot so a visit to a professional counselor might be indicated.

I really hope things get better for you and your family. Despite everything you've been a survivor and an inspiration to people around you. I wish I could offer you better information or a quick fix, but I don't know of one. I' sorry.

Comment

Hi Aponi,

I am trying to keep things "in-control" , but that is really impossible at this point.
        Being "in control" is impossible when trying to cope with the fall out of PTSD and the anxiety/panic attacks it creates.

I am trying to fix medications that were promised to be ordered for me, but currently I am on nothing to help with these issues.
        Are you in Therapy, Aponi? If not, please consider getting a referral to one. Psychotherapy is so important when having PTSD. Medications might be helpful but as Jules A mentioned there is no quick fix.

What do you guys do to handle panic, anxiety, and ptsd when it comes to dealing with children and other family members?
        Sadly I didn't handle it. I was not capable. I could spend very short amounts of time with my family and then I needed to close myself in my bedroom. I was suicidal and unable to cope --- that was on medication.

Truth be told, I should have been inpatient but I unfortunately had a Psychiatrist who had problems of her own which made my care questionable. I didn't know that then but do now.

I am concerned that she has a depression issue as well that is not diagnosed. She mentioned some things today that kinda made me think this. She lives with her dad.
        It sounds like your daughter needs you and needs your help. As overwhelming as things are you need to be there for her.

Talk to her and see if she will confide in you. Consider having her see a Mental Health Professional for treatment if necessary.

If you are unable to do this speak with a family member or friend who could help with this.

Take care
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

From what you are saying, I feel it is imperative that you seek immediate help with a professional-someone with a good reputation. Medications are not a quick fix but they can assist while you stabilize. It sounds like you are not able to calm down at this point which is to be expected with severe PTSD. Your daughter needs you, but I am wondering if it would be better to limit this to a few quality hours where you do something light and fun. Talk with your therapist about your daughter. She may well also need therapy. I am wondering if she is aware of your condition and guess she knows that you are struggling. I worked as a mental health therapist and with PTSD. I also had this and panic before getting well. There are effective medications for both panic and sleep. At least while you reach a calmer level. I feel for you and pray that all gets better soon. It takes our willingness to work on our well-being. Blessings to you. It gets much better and the sun shines again.
          Barbara J Franzen

Comment

Working...
          X