Wiping problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiping problems

Anyone have trouble twisting around and wiping? It's so frustrating to need help with this. My husband never complains but I wish I could be more independent.

I think I saw it at Amazon, under the health area. They have reacher's to help aid you with this.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
      I think I saw it at Amazon, under the health area. They have reacher's to help aid you with this.
      Thanks hunterd. I just ordered it on Amazon. It had great reviews, so I'll try one.

Comment

Reachers

I've seen reachers in catalogues that have mobily aids. Will be interested in how that works for you.

Wouldn't it be nice if toilets that also have bidets were readily available in the US. I do think they can be ordered, but they are expensive.

These are something the Japanese are 'into'. There are toilets with heated seats, washing attachments and 'blow dry' abilities. Quite interesting.

Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

You can't do the twist if you have this...

I now know that if you have one of those toliet riser things withe those support arms on both side of the commode...you can't be bending or leaning or twisting at all...there is no way to even get your hand in there or any kind of toliet paper wiping tool

Its a trade off for me...either take the chance of falling down when attempting to get ur butt up without the lifter thing...or hope that you don't have a crappy mess in the rear end area...seems only cats have those self cleaning thingy's. built in.

So yes--I also have to ask or yell for some wippin' assistance
          from my PCA or care giver....butt i don't like too..
          those things she does for me is very much appreciated...but what else can we do...sit in it all day and stink?
          Its not fun being an invalid.
          MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Comment

A while back, I was having a home built and on the web, I found devices that convert regular toilets into bidets. It was not very expensive and the plastic very. thin tube ran the water from the ink pipes to your backside. I'm sorry I don't remember the web page but I'm sure if you googled it, home improvement sites that carry the kits would pop up.

Comment

We have one, it's called a washlette...we have it on the Master bath toilet. It works well, and friends and family were quite intrigued ( and wanted to try it out...lol ) you can get models that heat the water or that connect to warm water, but most have cold. Easy to install or a plumber can hook 'em up.
              RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

i bought a little device that is a bottom wiper!- it's a curved curved extension handle and on the end it has a moulded piece of plastic on it that you can fold a wad of toilet paper around and tuck in the back of the plastic end so that it is held in place then it's business as usual! Someone else i told about this was worried about removing the used paper after but it'd not been an issue, i guess if ones hands are less dextrous there may be some issue of getting soiled but that would be the same if you were not using the reacher and a diposable glove solves any issue.

there are a few different designs around - some are straighter than the one i have rather than the almost 90 degree curve of mine- the curve is definately an advantage when twisting around is an issue- the brand of mine is K-care and i did buy it on line, i think from amazon- i also got another version made by the same company that folds up and is easier to tuck in to a bag when you are away from home- made by the same company but not very durable- one of the hinges broke, but it was handy!

the bidet adaptations look good but obviously does not solve the problem when using another batroom when out and about

Comment

Wish you all could put links in for the sites of the useful devices you've found.

I replaced one toilet and after reading this, I'd really like to replace the other with something I know someone with MS has used successfully.

so I can replace the other with one that would be more helpful on the days I am so symptomatic--that would help conserve some energy I could use for something else! fed

Comment

different style toilet seat

Have always wiped from back, but recently started falling over (while trying to twist around to wipe) so bought a new toilet seat with the cut-out in front (like public restrooms always have).

Now instead of trying to reach around, I can reach from the front (to the back) because the new toilet seat has the opening, which does not restrict my hand.

Ahhh, so much easier.

Hope that made sense. Walmart $20.
                    Female,56,Caucasian,Tysabri-2011 thru 2012 (to no avail, cane to rollator) Gylena-2012 thru 2013(to no avail, rollator to wheelchair) So thankful I lived life care free and to the max like there there was no tomorrow! "Don't worry, be happy!"

Comment

Scary when you lose your balance...

I have some problems wiping my bottom on most days... It's next to impossible when I'm having a bad day... Ialways seem to lose my balance on the seat and have to quickly try to grab for the counter or stand so I don't fall. I'm too stubborn to ask for help wiping, it was bad enough asking when I had to have help getting up and down on the toilet. I've been thinking about looking into the sprayer thing for the toilet as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X