No announcement yet.

Curious about Eating Disorders & MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting thread. I'm still in limbo land, but I can't help but wonder if the stress I've put on my body has anything to do with where I'm at now. I'm only 23, but I had an eating disorder from age 10 on. I would say I'm in recovery now, I suppose.

It sucks because I'm seven months purge free and here I am facing a possible diagnosis of MS. For the first time in my life, I'm committed to taking care of myself, and here I am. It's what got me into the doctor's office and got the MRI and other tests....I had put off medical care because I didn't feel I deserved it and because, if I'm being completely honest, I was nervous about the results.

I struggled mainly with bulimia, at least for about 7 of those 13 years. Although restricting has been an issue since last year. I lost my appetite and the ED thoughts and all that followed. I've been in treatment nine times, but that's a combination of partial programs, intensive outpatient, one inpatient psych stay, and a couple shots at residential treatment. I finally managed to break the binge-purge cycle on an outpatient level with the help from my boyfriend.

I do, however, find the possibility of MS daunting (of course), and it can make the idea of staying in recovery hard sometimes. I know I need to stay healthy but sometimes I get a "why bother?!" attitude that's hard to kick. It's also still very difficult to eat anywhere near "enough" and I know that that alone can do damage. I've been lucky as far as not having serious permanent damage as a result of my ED (that I know of), but I also know I need to get my act together. Especially if it turns out I have MS (and it's really looking that way)

Sorry for the rant :/

Comment

I had bulimia issues from 19 to about 33 or so, and there have been times that I was so angry with myself I would hit myself in the stomach or on the head. I am 50 now and haven't had a problem for awhile, but sometimes I wonder about the relation.
      ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

I have eaten like a horse my entire life and so it wasnīt the bulimia part. I did crash head first into the stone wall of the garage as a tot- but doc said it was not related. So if a head first crash with momentum didnīt do it, your bangs of frustration likely did not either.

Iīm starting to think MS is a disease of a perfect storm- lots of life stress and MS is the crescendo. Then we have the rest of our lives to become mellow b/c we now know what "really counts."

So, be kind to yourself and donīt blame yourself- no one out there has yet to find the cause.

Comment

Working...
        X