Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you "manage" summer with children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you "manage" summer with children?

It seems that summer is fast approaching. Its that time of year when the kids want to go to the park, play outside, go camping...

What are your strategies or plans for activities with your children this summer? I do not tolerate the heat well (understatement) and I am looking for ideas.

Some things that I have done in the past are to watch movies projected on a sheet in the yard after dark (when it is cooler outside). We have gone to the indoor waterparks . It is easier to take a break at these places. We visit theme parks in the "off" season when it is cooler. I plan more arts and crafts type projects that we can do during the heat of the day. We also visit the library more in summer.

What are your ideas? My kids really want to go camping but I am not sure I can pull it off. Real camping - not in the backyard.

Great thead

Hi there,

Would love to get ideas - doing a projector at night is cool!! We do the library a lot too. I had a bad flare last year so summer w/ little ones was really difficult.

The most interesting thing we did was on a really hot day, everyone was cranky - even in the AC it was just hot. I couldn't go outside. We cleaned out some Rubbermaid totes and made indoor swimming pools out of them in the kitchen.

Here's to a better summer this year!!

Comment

I have a big garden tub. I fill that up with water and turn the bubbles on - they love that.

We have a large pool in the backyard. It has a bench and jets, nice steps with a good rail....if only it were inside. We do sometimes swim at night with the lights on.

Comment

My son is still little so I think I'll be able to get away with getting out and about before it gets too warm this summer. Next summer and all the summers after are another story.

I don't know. I like your idea about night time activities. Maybe involve family/friends to help look after your kids on longer trips, like if you go camping or whatever.
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Summer and kids.....

I have two boys ages 2 and soon to be 5.
          We live in Texas so I've been trying ti figure out what I can do yo "beat the heat".
          I recently sent in a form to the MSAA about a cooling vest.
          If you go to their website and go to programs, you can scrolldown to cooling equipment on the left hand side.
          I've also out a fan on my porch so that I can have some cool air blowing on me while outside with the kids.

I've also invested in some water toys for them and if I get overheated I enjoy the water activities also.
          Since I do not have a cooling pack at the moment, I've been getting some wet rags and putting them in the freezer for a couple of minutes and then wrapping it around my neck when I go outside.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
          Ashley Ringstaff
          Ringer1319/RingpOP
          MSWorld Volunteer
          Living with MS since 8/30/10

Comment

Cooling Off

I too applied for the cooling vest with the MSAA, they have a bug variety of options to meet your size and needs (under / outer clothes) and the amount of time and weight the vests are due to ice packs.

For sitting on the porch with the ice lemon aid I use a Water fan/air cooler that blows water directly from a conveyor belt on me to keep me cool. Misters are also great but with a steady or gusty wind, can be indirect cooling and not as reliable tool.

Umbrellas (stationary / rain ) provide great shade and can drop the temp 10 - 15 degrees just by taking the direct sun off your body. I wouldn't suggest the see through single petite red ones your great grandma carries. However a good two person one helps a lot.

Ice Tools - I have a neck tie from Shared Solutions that you wet and freeze and wrap like a scarf around your neck. I have heard people use the ice packs they receive their progression slowing meds and put in a shopping bag and place under their clothing.

Parks are hard BC of the heat but we take our kids to the indoor play place at McDee's and use the "if you eat all your lunch, you can play". You defiantly have to eat first otherwise you can forget it... lol However must are AC and comfortable, and as long as the little ones are all wearing socks, it's cleaned and wiped more than the public park.

Fluids! - Freeze a few and chill a couple. If you have a larger dog (I wouldn't tax a Palm) get a work vest and have your dog carry your water bottles. Doing this will give the pooch a job and improve obedience, cool the hot dog (given the frozen bottle is not touching pooch), but also relive you the burden of carrying the H2O. Then when you need a break there it is.

Some people dress down to cool off, then some dress up. If you dress in light pants and a light long sleeve shirt it will not only keep the sun off you but when you sweat (or use the ice water) and the wind hits you, it's an instant AC all over your body rather where your shorts end.

I guess the best advise is if you have two parents and you have to, use them. take shifts with the kids if possible. Plan ahead and tell your partner that I am going to be tired around 3 so I will play with them for an hour and take a break and come back at 4. Sometimes it's all about adaptation.

Tigger13039

Comment

hi

i have kids too, and i actually have one of my kids with my daily due to being very ill and she was home tutored the entire year inbetween hospitals.

i am going camping in july. i will bring whatever pain meds etc. the doc gives me to pull it off. why? because in all honesty i love it, love waking up to a pot of hot coffee and the woods and nature, love watching the kids have fun and be free. we will bring blow up mattresses this year due to ms. ms me , ill bring these cold pack things you can put on your neck ppl here taught me about, alot of water, a hat for my head for the sun, just a whole lotta provisions and our truck that the ac works great in so that if the heat is too much ill hang in my truck for a bit.

as far as the entire summer with all my kids. i've enrolled them in local community stuff that's cheap. she'll be in dance oncea week, than tennis for one week a camp thing, i register her for alot of library events you can check your local library because those are social pieces for them and a break for you in ac no less and a quiet book comfy couch etc.

just sit down like i did and come up with a game plan so you can get through the summer without flaring yourself to no end.

i told my kids about it, did you? i told them this is what i have i will do all i did before right now, yet i will take my breaks, and you will have some alone time while i do it. that ishealthy for them also.....

hang in there, i'm feeling the same way. yet try to be positive and think no hw. no pressure of schedule if you aren't working like me. and more time to sit and enjoy them eat an ice cream cone together sit on a beach on a great day with a breeze and watch them play....

i know soo not easy! i just got dx'd a few days ago officially. yet my junk's been at me for about 5 years now so i've learned how to work my days so i'm not in a hole by the end of it lol.

good luck!! let me know if you come up with any new ideas...... love to hear them!
              Jen Dx'd 5/11
              "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

sunshine008

I have told my children and they do understand about me and the heat. Three of my children have asthma and one has a heart condition, so we don't run around a whole lot.

We do use the library a lot. I set up a screen tenthouse right outside the back door with a swing and small table when the heat starts I will use a box fan. Last year I figured out refrigerating our sunscreen. Keeps me cool for a little bit.

We went to check out the campsite that we want to use. Its very shady, near the water and only 2 hours from home. I think with careful planning we can pull this adventure off.

We are lucky to have several cave tours in our area. Its always cool in those. Some of them have boat rides or shorter tours.

Comment

Katvar,

Good idea to go on cave tours ... and the opportunity to teach your kids the beauty of their state. Thanks for my visit to memory lane . I visited Mammoth Cave once when my son was a preschooler ... he loved it! (We saw the Crystal Cave right afterward, of course it paled big time in comparison ... we did get suckered in to buying a "crystal" rock, though. I wonder whatever happened to that thing, lol.)

Cherish what you can do with them. The time we take with them is more important than what we we actually do. Best wishes on your camping adventure
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

CAMPING

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR CONDITION IS BUT CAMPING IS VERY FEASIBLE. JUST DONT UNDERSPEND FOR YOUR BED - DONT SLEEP ON THE GROUND - AIR MATTRESS - i AM A COUNTRY BUMPKIN FROM MICHIGAN. LOTS O CAMPING.

Comment

My husband was just telling me I better get a good airbed for camping - not a cheap junkie one.

Comment

My little 4 year old wanted to go the county fair so me and my wife took her...I have had MS for 20 yrs. We showed up at 11am and stayed until 2pm. The tempature in our area has been bad. The heat index hit 105 that day. It just about kiilled me! I have always had trouble with heat...I dont know what I was thinking. Thank god for snow cones!!

Comment

movie

It's probably too late in the season but check your local movie theatres. If it is, you can try this next year. Anyway, I believe that some theatres (Regal and AMC) have summer programs and you can go for super cheap or free. Gotta love A/C. :-)

Also, if you live near a Chuck E Cheese's, they are open at 9. You can bring a hot coffee for yourself and give the kids a few $$$ and let them run around. Since it's several hours before lunchtime, you can be home well before lunch.

Comment

I know summer is almost over but...

Hi Everyone!

I know the summer is almost over but I wanted to tell you about the amazing cooling vest I got from a company called ArcticHeat. Google them! They have so many different cooling devices that you do not have to put separate ice packs in. I have the cooling vest that is actually used by olympic athletes. It is amazing! It's supper expensive and we paid for mine ourselves after an AC issue at the college I used to work at. We are actually thinking about getting another one since I have lost weight and the one we have doesn't fit as close to my body any more. Even though my Husband dose not have MS he uses the vest when he's BBQing in the heat or running his tractors. We live in California and it's usually in the triple digits here in the summer so this vest is so helpful. Hope you all take a look at the website!

SAM

Comment

Working...
                            X