My brother lost his battle with MS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother lost his battle with MS.

My brother lost his battle with PPMS in 2002. I never told this story until now, I need to get it out of my mind because it is still bothering me.

He was dx in 1985 and progressed to a wheelchair in 1991. He suffered many symptoms with pain being the most debilitating one. I use to pray to God to take his pain and give it to me. October 18, 2002, he was non-responsive in the morning. I didn't know what to do, so I called 911. The ambulance came and they inserted a breathing tube and took him to the hospital. He was diagnosed with a blood infection called Sepsis.

My last visit was on 10/31/02, he laid in ICU non responsive with all the "Life Support" equipment keeping him alive. As I left at 11 pm, I had a feeling that I said my final goodbye. At 2:00 am I got a call from the hospital that I had to come to the hospital right now. I got to the room, he was laying as I left him, His chest was moving as the breathing tube was supplying air to his body.

I held his hand for just a moment, when the priest came in and started administering the "Last Rights", then the nurse hit a switch on the panel and the breathing machine stopped. That's when I realized he had died before I got there. God rest his soul because his battle is finally over. I just need to let go of these thoughts because I was dx with MS in 1995.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

I'm so sorry to hear about the painful loss of your brother. Fighting your own battle with MS the memory must haunt you every day. You're a devoted sibling, staying by his side to the end. I wish the words existed that could comfort you. Best wishes coming your way.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your brother, Christopher. It is always heart wrenching to lose those we love. He fought a brave battle and you are also brave in sharing your deepest thoughts. Thank you for letting us know.

My prayers are with you
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Christopher,

I am very sorry to learn of the loss of your brother. I can't even imagine how hard that would be. And then to know you were fighting the same disease? It's no wonder you still have a heavy heart.

God rest your brother's soul and God bless you for being there for him, and as you fight your own battles with MS. Thank you for sharing this with us.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

MSW1963

Thank you for your kind words. My brother was seven years younger then me and I always looked after him as he grew up and then it took a whole new meaning after his dx. Our parents were in their 60's and my brothers MS took a lot out of them, they blamed themselves for his illness. When I was dx in 1995 I kept it a secret from everyone, so my brother and parents never knew that I too had MS, it would have totally broken their hearts.Now I'm meeting my challenges all alone. by myself.

Comment

Seasha

Thank you for your kind words and prayers. I really appreciate that this forum exists, it's a great place to express my feelings. Thanks again.

Comment

Kimba22

Thank you so much for your kind words. My brother never knew, but I learned a lot from him, as he met his MS challenges. After my dx in 1995, I was better prepared to meet my challenges. I think back now and I feel I should have told him about my dx, maybe it would have brought us even closer during his last seven years. But I had to be the "Strong" one, the one giving him the support he needed. I know he's watching me now and there's no more secrets. Thank you again.

Comment

Your story touches me deeply. Thanks for sharing. I have PPMS and was dx'd in 2009. I guess its only a matter of time for me, too. Isn't it comforting to know that there are 'promising things' on the horizon, according to the medical geniouses. Try to maintain a positive thought. Good luck

Comment

Jerry

Everybody's journey with MS is different and unique, that's what makes MS so scary. Don't assume your journey will be the same, just as my journey will not be the same. We have to be brave and pray to God that future generations will never have to deal with MS, except in the history books.

Comment

Christopher, I am so sorry about your brother. I have no words to convey the sorrow. And to be living the same journey must be absolutely horrifying. I remember my father's last days and I got to feed him while he was in the hospital and that is one of my fondest memories, so I can only imagine. I wish you only the best, as you are the best. Your brother was lucky to have you. Good luck to you.
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

your story is so touching. how much you loved your brother is so apparent. he was very blessed to have you there, helping him through.
                      prayerfully, memories of him will help you through your own battle with the MonSter.

keep us updated how you are doing. this is a wonderful site, with fabulous people and lots of resources. you should find answers, friends and help here.

take care & God bless ya
                      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Christopher,

Bless you for all that you did for your brother. I have no doubt that you were a great comfort to him. I too am diagnosed PPMS. It is a nasty diagnosis, but I do try and remain hopeful that my progression will be slow. As you had mentioned, everyone's journey with this disease is different.

I know that you are struggling with this disease as well and for that I am truly sorry

Do keep us posted on how you are doing. This board really is great for support and resources.

Beth

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss.
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Hunterd

Thanks for your wonderful words. You know the special feeling you get, when caring for a loved family member, it's in a class all of it's own.

Comment

poohb3ar

Originally posted by poohb3ar View Post
                              your story is so touching. how much you loved your brother is so apparent. he was very blessed to have you there, helping him through.
                              prayerfully, memories of him will help you through your own battle with the MonSter.

keep us updated how you are doing. this is a wonderful site, with fabulous people and lots of resources. you should find answers, friends and help here.

take care & God bless ya
                              Thank you for your kind words. I try to remember just the good times we had, but the MonSter keeps blocking them and punishing me with negative thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X