Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Husband's MS Mood Swings

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I have been together for over 15 years. He was diagnosed with RRMS 5 years ago. He his physically able, but suffers from fatigue. He's taking his disease modifying drugs and quit smoking less than a yr ago. He is not working and I'm working two jobs to support us.

My biggest struggle are his mood swings. It depresses me. He gets angry and offended at the slightest things. He is paranoid that I'm cheating. He accuses me of being of disrespectful and unappreciative of his contributions. It's hard right now to appreciate his contributions because he's not working and does not take an active role in maintaining our living space or food prep. I've read that on a few message boards that people with MS feel unappreciated and I don't understand why?..(not to sound dis-compassionate). But why do I have to appreciate all that he has done in the past and while he can't appreciate what I'm doing to maintain our life.

In one breath, he can be livid and then in the next, he tells me he loves me and is so happy I'm his wife. When I don't respond favorably to his kind words, he takes offense. It difficult because I'm still stuck on the blow up and can't even hear the kind words. It's like living with Jekyll and Hyde. To save myself, I emotionally check out. I also try to stay busy and out of his way. I hate going home to him. I have no idea what mood he will be in. It's such an isolating feeling. I can't talk about it with friends and family because they won't understand and I don't want them to think less of him. I don't want them to judge him and think that he's a horrible person. He is not. This disease is changing him and killing our marriage.

He thinks I'm sneaky and looses his temper and starts yelling when he thinks I'm trying to manipulate him. If I mention that the MS is changing his moods, he takes it as a personal attack. If I call him out on something he said, he says I'm trying to use his MS against him. He criticizes me for not spending more time with him and doing fun stuff together. I am exhausted and when I do have time to myself, I certainly don't want to spend it with him because I constantly have to watch everything I say and do. Plus money is difficult right now. I maintain our finances and do some of the cooking (or order out if I don't have time to cook).

If I mention his getting back into the work force, he dismisses it. When I tell him ends aren't meeting he says "ok, it bothers me too...I know." If I push finances too much he thinks I'm holding it over his head that I make the money. If I ask too many questions about his job hunt, he thinks I'm micromanaging and condesending. If I take on more shifts to cover our expenses, he resents that I'm never home. When I stay home, we argue. I'd rather get 20 jobs to avoid his moods. I know it's bad because I should want to work through this with him, but I just can't go there with him. I can't afford the energy expenditure to engage him because I have too much work to do and I'm extremely sensitive.

When we interact with people, I am on edge because he is now particularly offended by most things that people say or do. He appears to takes most thinns as a personal attack on his character. From his perspective, he was passive before his diagnosis because he had a higher tolerance for people's rude behavior--now that he has MS, he's not going to let anything that anyone says slide. This means that anyone who is offensive must be addressed and called out for what they've said or done....

I am in therapy, he is not. Thankfully, we don't have kids, just a cat and I can't imagine what it would be like to add children into the mix. I am just really sad. I don't want to bail on our marriage, I believe in our vows but I can't take walking on eggshells. I can't take the fact that anything I say can get re-organized in his brain to be offensive to him. I can't take on the financial burden and the emotional toll. I have no idea where the man I married is within this disease.

I just want to throw in the towel and die. I am not suicidal I just feel that the walls are closing in and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I wish I were dead so I wouldn't have to deal. My therapist says that I'm only wishing that I'm dead because I don't have the skills to deal with my emotions. I do not have a plan to commit suicide, I just don't see how I can go on like this. Death seams like a better deal. When he was diagnosed, I was optimistic about learning as much as I could, doing the Swank diet, taking vitamins, performing self care, juicing, staying up on the latest etc.

None of that is possible when the person with MS is not a willing participant. It kills me to see him not exercising and not eating right. I resent having to work as much as I do when he is capable of working but is not being proactive about getting a job to help. I resent the fact that he expects me to want to spend time with him when his moods is in a constant state of offensiveness and rage. He yells at the top of his lungs about the smallest things and makes judgement on my character. I can't go on like this and I can't believe that this is my life. I can't believe that this is what God has planned for me. I can't believe that these are the cards we were dealt.

I empathize with his diagnosis and want to be as supportive as possible. But who will take care of me? How can I rationalize with someone who's brain chemistry makes them irrational? How can there be an end in sight when he doesn't even acknowledge that he has a mood problem. As far as he's concerned no-one is able to swallow the real him. The real him with MS. It's them not him.

I'm sooo sad. Other than getting him to seek therapy and urging him to pitch in. How do other people deal with this? How do caregivers get through this. How can I plan for a future?

Thanks,

I'm so sorry. You have done a lot and are getting very little back. I don't have answers to your questions, but I hope it helps to know that people are reading this who will understand what you are going through.

Does he know that ms can change his thought process and emotions? Does he care about you? Does he do anything within his power for your benefit?

I'll I can say is good luck, and I hope you find what you need to help you here.

Comment

Hi ShadowWife,

Welcome to MS World! I'm sorry about all your going through with your husband. Having this disease is not only hard on us, but also our loved ones. Marriage is hard enough without dealing with an illness, too.

There is a Caregiver chat in our chatroom each Wednesday night at 8 pm, and a Relationships/ Family & MS chat on Sundays at 8 pm. It might help you to join in if you can, especially on Wednesdays. Maybe you could encourage your husband to also check out MS World? It can be really helpful to connect with others who are dealing with MS. Only others who have it can truly understand what it's like to live with.

I find it interesting you mentioned that some people with MS don't feel appreciated. Our loved ones might not mean to imply we aren't appreciated, but sometimes it's hard knowing we aren't contributing like we once could. I think that would be the same for any injury or disease that took away what one could once do. I also think it might be harder for men to accept if they are no longer providing for their families.

There can be mood changes for some people with MS. It can be caused by medications (it's well-known that interferons can cause depression), invisible sensory symptoms like pain can make us irritable, MS fatigue (it's different than just being tired or exhausted), frustration with the disease, fear, the actual disease itself, or any combination of the above. It can be hard to acknowledge and accept that the disease may also be having an impact on our emotions. It's bad enough to realize we don't necessarily have much of any control with other aspects of this disease. But, it can help to know we're not alone with this. Here's a link to the National MS Society for you about emotional changes:
      http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ges/index.aspx

Many of us do need help from our doctors, medication, and therapists to regain control over our emotions with this disease. I hope your husband will acknowledge this so he will ask for help.

I am so sorry for the toll this is taking on you. Seeking therapy for yourself is a great step in taking care of you in the midst of all of this. We're here for you to offer our support.

Take care ,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I'm also sorry you are going through this and would be hesitant to blame MS as the entire excuse for his disrespectful behavior.

Although we only have your side of the story I can't imagine being willing to continue in a relationship like you described. Personally at the very least I would insist he get counseling and also if he is able to work that would be a no brainer.

Please don't get sucked into feeling sorry for us because of this crap diagnosis. It doesn't give free license to be a jerk even if we are genuinely depressed, have lesions on areas in our brain that effect emotions etc.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post

Please don't get sucked into feeling sorry for us because of this crap diagnosis. It doesn't give free license to be a jerk even if we are genuinely depressed, have lesions on areas in our brain that effect emotions etc.
          Good advise!

He needs to acknowledge MS is effecting his mood and thoughts and take an active role in improving them.
          You can't do this for him and it sounds pretty bad to live with.

I have no idea how you force someone else to seek help.
          Please take care of yourself and do not accept disrespect as OK. It is not OK.

Comment

Hi ShadowWife and welcome to MS World. I'm sorry to read about your situation and hope you'll receive beneficial responses. I am also glad you took the time to express yourself and situation since others might find help in a similar situation. Better yet, that people with MS (or another chronic disease) may find themselves on the wrong end of this conversation and get themselves help. I also know from personal experience it's often much easier to give advice than to take it.

"As far as he's concerned no-one is able to swallow the real him. The real him with MS. It's them not him." It sounds like HE is not able to swallow the real him with MS. It sounds like he has a fragile ego and is having an identity crisis. His male pride has been busted and he's angry about it. I know when I was forced to quit working it certainly was a psychological challenge. Combine that with the mental and psychological challenges of MS and possibly dealing with the grieving cycle and your husband sounds like a mess. Like others have said that doesn't excuse bad or hostile behavior towards you. Some times people lash out at those closest to them feeling "safe" as if the consequences will be minimal. A total stranger certainly put up with that level of drama and grief.

You ask the question, "But who will take care of me?" Does he know you still need to be taken care of? He "contributed" before and he may have felt "needed." If he's simply wake up he might discover that he can still contribute (in different ways) and that you still "NEED HIM." Wherever he finds himself today he needs the motivation to seek a better tomorrow. For starters, that may simply be exercising to release endorphins and increase his energy level. Sleeping, eating properly and drinking plenty of water are also important to his well-being. Too often, MS patients blame everything on MS even when there is no correlation. You both need to separate issues that are and are not MS. If he blames absolutely everything on MS then he is being intellectually dishonest. Marriage is about BOTH parties given their all to each other. His contribution may be less than his previous one, but he should still be contributing. He's acting out like a baby having a pitty-party and juvenile tantrum.

I put some of your comments or questions in BOLD followed by my random thoughts.

How do other people deal with this? How do caregivers get through this. Being a caregiver is tough and honestly many don't make it.

How can you plan for a future? You are developing avoidance and coping skills to simply survive with your spouse in your house. It seems like you are struggling to work on your future and he has pressed the "pause" button on life. He's stuck. It sounds like he needs a father or friend to give him a swift kick in the pants. He needs to wake up and put on his big-boy pants and become an adult.

How can I rationalize with someone who's brain chemistry makes them irrational? This disease is changing him and killing our marriage. I'm not sure this is true.

I can't talk about it with friends and family because they won't understand and I don't want them to think less of him. I can't talk about it with friends and family because they won't understand and I don't want them to think less of him.I can't take the fact that anything I say can get re-organized in his brain to be offensive to him. I can't take on the financial burden and the emotional toll. I have no idea where the man I married is within this disease. I'm glad you found an outlet here to share your story. You're working two jobs and he's not lifting a finger. Has your counselor talked to you about possibly being a "martyr?"

I can't go on like this and I can't believe that this is my life. I can't believe that this is what God has planned for me. Have you spoken to your minister about these thoughts?

None of that is possible when the person with MS is not a willing participant. How can there be an end in sight when he doesn't even acknowledge that he has a mood problem? Correct, he needs to "man up" and see a mental health professional if for no other reason to show he's still trying.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses. He has started counselling on his own so we'll see what's next. Hopefully we will also start marriage counselling together.

To answer Marco, I have never looked at my behavior as being a martyr, I saw it as doing what is necessary to keep things going in our house, but I'm definitely going to bring this up in therapy. Maybe I am....Food for thought.

Knowing that people are reading and that I have support means so much. I don't feel so alone.

Take care everyone!
              <3

Comment

How to reach out? (perhaps this should be a new thread?)

I don't even know where to begin.. I have been married for 20 years.. I have had MS for 13 (?) I worked my arse off until my Neuro told me stop working or stop existing in 2010..
                Since then.. I have had a few medical issues (neck surgery, etc).. Sometime in the last few years.. I feel I have been placed in a box.. Not sure if this makes since.. I have had the worst conversation with my spouse ever …

I am a very independent person.. free willed, free minded.. but I am controlled.. cause "you can't remember" "you can't, you can't, you can't" What did I do? I Realize I have memory issues.. but.. did I die somewhere during this time? I feel like .. idk.. I feel sooo small.. I am soo angry right now.. I was the "bread winner".. the one who did it all.. I know I am unable now.. but.. don't take away what my potential is in the future..
                Why? We (I) didn't ask for this.. Have I really changed that much? Or am I just wanting to live while I can? So Many questions for me.. I try to ask my spouse.. but the door closes.. "oh its just been a long winter, you'll get over it" Ya it has been.. but.. I am not "over it".. Tired of being dismissed.. I understand the bills need to be paid.. I get SSDI that does pay enuf even if I worked part time.. Don't say… "you wouldn't be able to live in a tin can if it were not for me" This hurts.. true.. but it hurts… makes me feel even smaller.. JS

Omzone ;(

Comment

Omzone - I am so sorry. I copied this post and started a new thread for you in the Family Room. Hopefully, this will draw more attention your way and you will get some good suggestions from others. Your post is now here - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132205

Take care now~
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                  X