worried about dd's constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worried about dd's constipation

I'm really concerned about my dd. She has had chronic constipation issues since she started solid foods as a baby. She was on Karo syrup mixed in her formula and then in her milk bottle until the age of 2. Then, she had to start using Miralax.

Her brother had it, too, but his was definitely from holding it in as a toddler when it was painful. He was on Miralax from the age of 2 until about 6 or 7. He managed to wean off of it pretty well, but we still have to watch how much dairy he eats, make sure he has enough fiber in his diet, and drinks enough water.

My dd, however, has never been successful in weaning off of some type of laxative. She was on Miralax (with us trying to wean her off of it slowly several times) until this past summer. Then her pediatrician recommended having her take Senekot.

My dd has been taking it faithfully, but I really have to PUSH to get her to drink enough fluids. If she doesn't, then she has difficulty passing stool. Last weekend, we were in the same boat, with her being stopped up (didn't drink enough water) and having to really push fluids and extra fiber.

Last Tuesday, she said she had finally had success and was excited. Turns out she lied to me because she so desperately wanted to go to her swimming lesson that evening! She confessed when I took her to the locker room for her shower, afterwards. She really had to "go" and it was something she was afraid to do (afraid she'd yell out in pain).

She did manage to go after she got home, but I don't think it was as much as she needed to 'move.' I suspect that the swimming exercise helped her to have a small bm. I could see the difference in her belly (not as swollen).

Now, she is stopped up again and hasn't been able to go since Wednesday or Thursday. Despite the urge to go, she is so frightened that she holds it in. Her belly is distended and her bottom hurts. I've given her plenty of water to drink, had her drink some prune juice, put prune juice in with her oatmeal, and allowed her to sit for waaaay too long on the toilet. She isn't sleeping well, but says it isn't because of pain. I don't know what else to do, except to take her to the doctor tomorrow.

I gave her an enema when this happened a few weeks ago. It was a very memorable experience for her and she doesn't want to go through it again. Yet she won't drink enough and is terrified of pushing when she gets the urge. I won't give her another enema at home, unless the doctor approves. I am afraid she may have a more serious, underlying issue.

Advice is welcome; prayer is even more welcome.

Sherry

Proverbs 31 wannabe
    Isaiah 26:3,4 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the Lord forever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength."

Hi Sherry,

I am afraid she may have a more serious, underlying issue.
    This concern should be brought to the attention of her Doctor.

A couple of things you could try:

(1) a little less than a teaspoon of mineral oil in a small amount of whatever juice she likes. If given too much mineral oil there can be leakage which looks orange in color.

(2) A stool softener given daily. Stool softeners are safe and non-habit forming. They simply allow for softer stools.

Laxative can be habit forming and a person will be unable to have a bowel movement without the Laxative.

If you choose to try one of the above suggestions please only try one at a time and give the chosen choice a chance to work.

When a child anticipates pain from having a bowel movement they will hold it as to avoid the pain.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have gluten sensitivity issues (plus casein). My number one very bad symptom was chronic constipation ... which was actually slow bowel motility.

I've had this my whole life, and staying away from gluten is the only thing that helps (I had tried everything else).

Just to put it out there, if not for you then for others reading the thread .

I have similar trouble with casein, but not as bad and I can manage it. However, I have friends that are now casein free for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by aspen View Post
        I have gluten sensitivity issues (plus casein). My number one very bad symptom was chronic constipation ... which was actually slow bowel motility.

I've had this my whole life, and staying away from gluten is the only thing that helps (I had tried everything else).

Just to put it out there, if not for you then for others reading the thread .

I have similar trouble with casein, but not as bad and I can manage it. However, I have friends that are now casein free for the same reason.
        I was going to mention the same thing. For me gluten=constipation! Try going gluten free (and read labels!) for a week or so and see if this may help. Before I found the culprit, no amount of extra water helped me at all. I don't believe there is a test for non-celiac gluten sensitivity. The best way I found to determine was by exclusion.

Hope you can find some help in this matter - poor girl!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Update

Well, since I first posted about my dd, she has been to see the doctor twice (second time was because I thought she may have a bladder infection). After the initial visit (it had been about 7 days since she had been able to have a bm), we were promptly sent to have an x-ray done. Even before the x-ray, her pediatrician said that she would have to start drinking a MINIMUM of 24 oz. of water/day and 8 oz. of prune juice or apple cider; not a temporary thing, but in addition to either Miralax or Senekot daily.

After the x-ray results came back, the pediatrician said she was so impacted/backed up, that we had to do a "cleansing/purging" regimen that we had done once before. This meant that she had to drink 32 oz. of Gatorade mixed with 238 gm of Miralax within 24 hours. My dd doesn't especially like this regimen, but I made sure that she had her water, apple cider (with Miralax in it as per dr.), and her Senekot (also as per dr. orders).

She started it late in the afternoon/evening and then, after waking the next day, started falling back asleep. I was really concerned when I couldn't keep her awake. She basically slept until almost noon! Turns out that she must have woken in the wee hours and not been able to sleep. As a result, she ended up only drinking about half of it by the time 24 hours were up. I couldn't get her to drink anymore; she felt like she'd throw up if she did.

Next time I took her to the pediatrician (Friday), we were relieved to find that she did NOT have a UTI. However, I'm glad we went because the doctor noted that her stomach was still swollen. She said to repeat the 32 oz. regimen and not to worry if it wasn't finished within exactly 24 hours; just take two days to make sure she finishes it.

We are currently on day two. Things are starting to "move" as we are staying home from church to finish this. I am using, as leverage, a My Little Pony video on YouTube that she wants to watch with me, as well as reminding her that she HAS to complete this regimen if she wants to be able to go back to singing in the church choir and if she wants to go back to Homeschool Co-op this Tuesday. She's missed two times of each of the latter two.

She did get tested for Celiac's disease, but I haven't tried simply putting her on a gluten-free diet. I HAVE started giving her Lactaid milk because I wondered if she was lactose intolerant. Since she started on that, she has stopped having so much gas. Don't know if the gas was due to not drinking enough liquids during the day or if it was due to dairy products.

I will consider the gluten-free diet, but I dread trying to do that. However, I don't know how long it would be, otherwise, before she became REALLY sick of drinking 8 oz. of apple cider (the preferred drink between the two choices) every single day. I am ALSO going to try to find some more ways/opportunities for her to get exercise; not just at the YMCA, but at home (for when it's too icy to drive or we aren't able to go during open swim time; swimming lessons are once/week).

REALLY counting on her finishing that 32 oz. today. She's stubborn, but she won't want to have to do it a third time or end up in the hospital for THEM to clean her out. Praying she will finish it and that she will be committed to doing whatever she needs to do, diet-wise and health-wise, to keep this from happening again.

Proverbs 31 wannabe
          Isaiah 26:3,4 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the Lord forever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength."

Comment

If this persists and she lets herself get too stopped up, a day may come they will have to do surgery to get it out. Sometimes people end up with a colostomy.

Not knowing her age..but, you are doing the right thing with your daughter. And considering diet changes, etc for food allergies is very important.

Hugs and Healing
            fed

Comment

Working...
            X