Anyone MS caregiver and MS patient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone MS caregiver and MS patient?

Help, I'm struggling here. How do you care for a mother with MS if you have trouble caring for yourself and your family?

My mother has moved in with my hubby and daughter because she has trouble caring for herself and I struggling myself. I don't know what to do. She has no insurance other than Medicare and no money. And there is no other family. My husband and my daughter help out tremendously. Without them I would not make it this far. But, I feel bad for them.

Sorry, I guess I needed to vent. Anyone out there in a similar situation?

Is it something where adult day care or respite nursing home care might be helpful? I think they accept Medicare. Good luck.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Does your state have a disability office? It might be worth finding out what services both of you are eligible for. Also call your town's senior center to find about transportation, etc. Call the MS Society about grants... Good luck!

Comment

If your mother has no money and no assets she might be eligible for Medicaid. Medicaid pays for nursing homes and certain types of home health care. Nursing homes have the option to not accept Medicaid residents so you would have to find one that does. A lot of people think that Medicare pays for the same things but it doesn't.

Your local office of the Area Agency on Aging could probably give you more information. Your county health department might have a social worker who can help you. And you can always go to your state's Medicaid website to find out if your mother is eligible for Medicaid and how to apply.

Comment

Working...
        X